Ubisoft To Follow EA's Used Game Strategy

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by luke_c, May 19, 2010.

May 19, 2010
  1. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Source.

2. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    .... I hate this used game thing that requires them to pay more after buying a used game.

3. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    I think it's pretty good as it does have it's benefits, we get free download content. And in the end, if you buy it used and pay for the content, it will most likely end up as the price it would cost for getting the game new.

4. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    That really isn't a good thing.

5. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    Anyone who buys into Gamestop's used games crap is a sucker, anyway. Seriously, they pay practically nothing for them, sometimes as little as a week after release, and then sell them alongside the new (yet opened, due to whatever bonehead gamestop policy) copies for like $10 less? I've heard that the used game market has become almost as bad as piracy, and personally it wouldn't surprise me it if were true. Gamestop shouldn't be allowed to market itself as a first tier store, when the vast majority of what they do involves pushing used copies on people, and constantly pestering you to trade in your stuff for the bare minimum value, so they can turn around and sell it at a 400% profit.

I buy all my games new, personally. And I never deal with Gamestop.

6. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Man, Game Developers sure do hate 2nd Hand games for no good reason! They're demonising their customers again, telling them off for buying the game used when they should be buying new. I hate things like this.
    I buy used games very often as well as new games. Why? Becuase they're a heck of a lot cheaper. Especially if I'm after an older title the used games can be £10-20 cheaper and to me that's good value. I do trade in sometimes as well and get pittance but this is usually because the games are not all that popular. I traded in a load of PSP games once and got exactly 50p for one of them because it was so old and probably bad.

7. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    What makes you think this is all about Gamestop? What about the used games on Ebay? Or Amazon Marketplace? What about buying a cheap used game from a guy at school/college/down the pub? Heck, what if you just want to borrow a game from a friend?

No, the more I think about this the less I like it. Selling downloadable content is aimed at people with a reasonable disposable income, DRM is aimed at software thieves but this 'Used Game Strategy' is specifically designed to penalise those who are too poor to buy new games but too honest to pirate them. What a bunch of greedy cunts.

8. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Oh Ubisoft, you truly are the next EA games.

9. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    >access portions of the game

>pay $10 to see the ending

Just gives more incentive for people to pirate.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I would like to reply but I doubt I could make it as composed as that of Depravo's.

I am still shocked it got this far- such ideas and similar opinions of the second hand games market I saw appearing a few years back while I laughed at them.

[insert standoffish ending statement]

11. Aeladya

Member Aeladya *mistressOFtheCLOW

United States
    Might as well buy the game new, especially if you buy the game used and it's only $5 cheaper than the new copy. Then you'll be spending an extra $5 for a used copy of the game that's probably scratched to hell, but still playable anyway. Thankfully I don't play any online games from these companies, but I can see them doing this in the future for offline games too...

12. referencer

Member referencer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They just keep making piracy more and more attractive, don't they?

13. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    If they're going to do this they need to make it clear on the front cover exactly what content needs an extra payment, and how much that payment will be. I'd be pretty damn pissed if I picked up a second hand game, got it home and running before finding out a feature I wanted to use would require an extra fee.

[Edit] Here's another thought; what if it's an old game, will the locked content still be available? It's not so much of an issue if it's just extra weapons or similar, but if they remove features from the game to put them in the paid-for section then that'd suck. I'm thinking games that are approx 10 years old, I can't be the only one still picking up PS2 games from the preowned bin.

14. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    We should just start speculating now.

Next generic FPS they release: Forced to use the knife unless you pay $20.

15. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    This makes no sense. They want people to pay 10 dollars more for an opened case with a used disc in it that probably has scratches on it, might not have an instruction manual or hell, half of the returns these days have replacement cases. Not to mention people are just going to stop buying their products. EA and Ubisoft have horrible return rates because their games are garbage, they lack enough content to make people want to keep playing and owning their games. And when you release the same fucking sports games every single year, you start to make garbage as the older editions are worth nothing a year after their release.

Pro tip, stop making bad games that are retardedly short and maybe people will pay full price for them