Two question about AKAIO skinning...

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by twiztidsinz, Mar 17, 2010.

Mar 17, 2010
  1. twiztidsinz
    OP

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    1). Do you NEED to use 16 bit BMPs?
    I noticed that when viewing them on my PC, they look VERY grainy/gritty and gradients don't transition as well.

2). Does menu_bg.bmp (the 'Start Menu') need "padding" of black pixels at the top? If so, how much?
    I made mine and it seems to push the image down in the AK Edit tool.

2. Atashi

Member Atashi Out of the Loop

Canada
    If you're using Dan's AK Edit tool, it will automatically convert the BMPs to the correct format, so you can use 24bpp while you're working on them, if you prefer. I've been using GIMP and haven't found the 16bpp images grainy, personally.

I haven't needed to pad the menu_bg.bmp, maybe there is an issue with the positioning?

Edited to add: Sometimes things in AK Edit aren't exactly as they appear on the hardware. I've found a few minor inconsistencies, but AK Edit gets it close, then some minor tweaks might be needed once you're looking at it on the DS.

-Atashi

3. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    AK Edit has some problems with text placement. Looking at the AceKard RPG skin, the Folder Text text is shoved to the top of the bottom screen. It looks like once you have your text where you want it, take off 6 from your "y" setting.

4. twiztidsinz
    OP

United States
    Now that I think about it... I believe it's AK Edit that's screwing with my pictures.
    Here's what I mean by the images looking gritty/dirty:
    [​IMG]

It's not the text I'm having an issue with.... it's that one of MY images (the start menu, menu_bg.bmp, shifts about 10px down in the preview, but other themes look perfect.

5. Atashi

Canada
    I see what you mean about the images - that looks like it's been really poorly dithered. Is that a screenshot, or did you enlarge it before uploading? What image software are you using? I've never had anything like that when using GIMP...

The skin images I've made include graduated screens and detailed backgrounds etc. and there's no dithering at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know why the start menu image would be off by 10px in the preview - have you checked to see if it's also off, on the hardware?

-Atashi

6. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
  7. twiztidsinz
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the responses, btw....

Thanks, but that doesn't really help though...
    It doesn't address the gritty color issues, and the Start Menu images I make are the exact same size as the one I'm replacing, so it's not a difference of size.

Oh well, the image isn't THAT bad, and I don't think it'll be noticeable on the DS.

8. Kasihel

Newcomer Kasihel Newbie

United States
    I have noticed this problem with AKedit when I made a skin for myself. AKedit would ask to convert to 16 bit even if all the images were already 16 bit.

When you are asked to convert to 16 bit, each time you click yes the program will apply its conversion filter to all the images, even those that are 16 bit. As a result, each time you click yes the images will become grainier.

You can either save your images as 16 bit in Photoshop and hit no to the conversion, or save images as 24-bit and convert one time only with your finished product.

9. choconado

Member choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States
    while we're on the topic of skins, I have what's likely a real stupid question: I've been making my own skin right now (all I have left is to come up with a progress bar I'm happy with), and I've been using the default AKAIO skin as my template. I've been able to figure out what every image is for except one: The "note.bmp" image. Where the hey does that go?

10. Sumea

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    AK edit does force your bitmaps to 16bit

Best way is to save them and edit them in 16bit yourself.

and do NOT press YES for the AK edit prompt EVEN IF IT DOES SAY "yer files, ARR nay 16 beet!" - since that scumbag is lying through it's teeth. Just save them yourself and you'll be fine.

And keep a copy of photoshop open all times - I usually make the ini edits right with AKedit and then in end look back and save all images once on the old ones so they look right.

Also, you do not need to "Pad" the start menu image - all elements are freely movable for Akaio - you need to move the menu image and start menu text around in editor. I'd advice to keep it small enough to fir inside the screen.

11. twiztidsinz
    OP

United States
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

I didn't realize the Start Menu was positionable!
    My ini had the y coord at.... *drumroll* 8! Which is why it was 8px off.

Also... I think AK Edit will -KEEP- converting the images to 16bit time and time again, which in the long run makes images look -EXTREMELY- grainy.
    Now I just need to find a good way to convert 24bit to 16bit. I don't like the way Photoshop is handling it (by default?).

12. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Have you tried GIMP - that save in 16-bit IIRC

13. twiztidsinz
    OP

United States
    I'm not a big fan of Photoshop's retarded cousin... [​IMG]
    Whenever they get around to releasing GIMP 2.8, I might give it another shot.

But I think I still have Pain.NET installed, so I'll give that a try.

14. Atashi

Canada
    If I'm not mistaken, note.bmp is one of the tiny icons that are somehow displayed (or not) when browsing cheats. There are a couple of those tiny-size icons and I've never encountered them while using AKAIO but they seem to be related to the cheat database.

-Atashi

15. choconado

Member choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States
    huh. Well, to be safe, I imported it anyway.

Some of the other images I had to hunt down. Like the arrows and scroll bars for viewing texts in-browser.

16. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Oooohh never knew that - I'll have to remember that next time (Shame PaintShopPro can't do 16-bit saves though) - when I get time I'll add that little tit-bit to my tutorial