Hacking Two 3DS consoles and one gateway?

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As I was starting to hijack the "[Tutorial] 4.5 SysNAND + 4.5 CFW + 9.4 EmuNAND without Gateway" thread and this is a bit beyond the scope of the noob paradise i'll start a new thread.

I've a single gateway card and two exploitable 3ds consoles, is there a way in which I can setup one to play cia-installed games without the card being required later and what are the limitations?

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
You only need to have the Gateway inserted into the system when you boot emuNAND, so what you can do is just install .CIA files on both systems and just boot them up one at a time...

As soon as you're in emuNAND, you can take the Gateway card out.

Reactions: RainThunder

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What about if I use the mt card launcher.dat? That doesn't require the cart be inserted to launch emunand correct?

edit: just tried, the MT card needs to be inserted to launch emunand (unless you choose classic mode)

Where I'm heading with this is that the old 2.2 GW firmware allowed emunand to be launched without the card inserted, So if there were a way to get a CIA installed in that emunand then the game would be playable indefinitely without the card being required again apart from the initial install. This doesn't work however because CIA/devmenu support was not added until 2.6

What I'm thinking next is that I could use 2.6 to create an emunand, install CIA files then replace the launcher.dat with that from 2.2 and this would then allow me to launch the emunand with the installed CIAs without the card being present, I would of course not be able to update the emunand because 2.2 didn't support 9.4 firmware.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Seems I got my wires crossed a bit here on the requirements for having the cartridge inserted, Seems the change between 2.2>2.3b and presumably the same situation with MT card is that the 'classic' mode is what's restricted, the normal emunand function is completely unusable without a cartridge to load up. Kinda answered my own question eventually. Obviously this is just a measure to stop people from doing what I'm trying to do here. Makes sense.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
but as has already been said, if the 2 console are shared by the same household, you could install cia files on each and just pass the gateway card between them as and when you need to reboot the console....it only needs to be inserted to enter gateway mod, then it could be removed and entered into another 3ds....you could repeat this 100 times if you wanted, but whenever a console is restarted you would need access to the gateway card to get back into gateway mode....so basically people cant plan to fill up consoles with roms and sell them for a profit with no gateway card.......any time the system restarts you need the card again, but you could theoretically never reset if you always make sure your 3ds never goes flat in which case you could share it with say a relative who lives elsewhere if you see each other frequently enough to be able to not leave them stranded if the console goes flat or crashes etc

not perfect, but its usable if you really really want to hold out and not buy 2 cards

Reactions: Shad0wninja

Shad0wninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but as has already been said, if the 2 console are shared by the same household, you could install cia files on each and just pass the gateway card between them as and when you need to reboot the console....it only needs to be inserted to enter gateway mod, then it could be removed and entered into another 3ds....you could repeat this 100 times if you wanted, but whenever a console is restarted you would need access to the gateway card to get back into gateway mode....so basically people cant plan to fill up consoles with roms and sell them for a profit with no gateway card.......any time the system restarts you need the card again, but you could theoretically never reset if you always make sure your 3ds never goes flat in which case you could share it with say a relative who lives elsewhere if you see each other frequently enough to be able to not leave them stranded if the console goes flat or crashes etc

not perfect, but its usable if you really really want to hold out and not buy 2 cards
So technically, I could load up emunand on my 3DS, then load up emunand on my brothers 3DS, and then run a Mario Kart 7 .cia with both our 3DS's and play online together with only one Gateway?

Also, I was wondering if the MicroSD carries the save files from .3ds/.3dz roms. If so, then would that mean if I give my brother my Gateway and he plays from it, would he have access to my saves?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
So technically, I could load up emunand on my 3DS, then load up emunand on my brothers 3DS, and then run a Mario Kart 7 .cia with both our 3DS's and play online together with only one Gateway?

Also, I was wondering if the MicroSD carries the save files from .3ds/.3dz roms. If so, then would that mean if I give my brother my Gateway and he plays from it, would he have access to my saves?
yes you could both share a card and both play online, and saves ar on the bigSD in the 3ds so you both get your own saves

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country

I share a gateway between 2 3ds' as well, works great.
.cia saves aren't stored on the microSD and they work different to the saves from the gateway red card.

Swapping the gateway card between 3ds' won't mess with .cia saves or transfer them, that's a job for savedatafiler.

Shad0wninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes you could both share a card and both play online, and saves ar on the bigSD in the 3ds so you both get your own saves
I share a gateway between 2 3ds' as well, works great.
.cia saves aren't stored on the microSD and they work different to the saves from the gateway red card.

Swapping the gateway card between 3ds' won't mess with .cia saves or transfer them, that's a job for savedatafiler.
Thank you both!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs