[Tutorial]How to break the game limit on red button Sky3DS cartridges

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Arithmatics, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Arithmatics
    OP

Member Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Malaysia
    UPDATE:
    As of DiskWriter v1.05 alongside template1225.txt, All the methods on this thread are no longer necessary.

All you need to bypass the 10 game limit now is a copy of DiskWriter v1.05, template1225.txt and multiple micro SD cards.
    Use the thing (because I love A:LoK) from method 3 to be able to play your games on the second/third/fourth/fifth etc SD card. Remember, your first burned SD card is "GOLDEN" with no scroll bug. NEVER transfer games from this SD card to another.
    The Thing

If your game is not in the latest template.txt, just make your own!:
    http://filetrip.net/dl?vBHqt3NOoQ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a compilation of all the methods that will allow you to bypass the 10 game limit on red button Sky3DS cartridges.

Method 1
    saves game data within the game itself so you must backup the entire game to be able to backup your save.
    Method 2
    has a very high chance of corrupting your data so this method is heavily NOT recommended. It's only here because since it's still a bypass method, it's still relevant.
    Method 3
    is by far the most reliable one and was found by our own gbatemp user warnings.
    METHOD 1
    METHOD 2
    METHOD 3 (warnings' method, most reliable)

and as always,

PROCEED WITH CAUTION

Changelog

ravihpa, johnbus, podscrer and 8 others like this.

2. Keylogger

Member Keylogger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

France
    I already have "F8" and "98" in the template file...
    Do I have to change them to "FA" & ""90"? Or do I leave F8 and 98?

3. JimBonza

Newcomer JimBonza Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah I already have F8 and 98 for the majority of games. EEPROM still says YES for everything other than Pokemon and I suspect that's just because of the nature of the game. Nothing's changed :S

4. Arithmatics
    OP

Malaysia

nothing's stated about that. if you have a Sky3DS do you mind checking for me? I've read it in some threads about this but I can't seem to find them anymore. Change it to FA and 90 and tell me what happens.

5. themachine23

Newcomer themachine23 Newbie

Brazil
    Much more easily to understand. Thanks Arithmatics!

But I still need to ask: I need to use the "5 seconds trick" and the "home button trick" just on the backups that I did with this crack tool or I need to do also with the first ten backups that I played?

6. JimBonza

Newcomer JimBonza Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    ok, worked the second time I tried it for some reason.
    If it's already F8 98 in the template it's just a matter of converting the rom file using the program. Pretty straight forward, my only concern now is how easy is it to use after you've gone past the 10 game "limit"

7. johnbus

Member johnbus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Since the Sky3DScTool seems to make roms entirely dependent on the MicroSD card, because it doesn't save to the very limited space on the Sky3DS, I'm wondering if it simply becomes a matter of swapping MicroSD cards in order to manage the games.

Can someone test this? I don't think it would be hard. It seems like all you would need is two cards with different roms on them. If someone could cycle through the roms on one card, swap cards, and cycle through a different set of roms without seeing the same games or having any other impact on the Sky3DS, That could make managing many different roms much less cumbersome.

If nothing else, it could make the Sky3DS a lot less annoying to manage then using the sequential mod.

8. Arithmatics
    OP

Malaysia

No problem. :)
    As shown in the videos I used as reference he only did it after the 10th game so I'm guessing that it's just on the backups you made with this tool (i.e the 11th game onwards).

Awesome to know that. Well when you get the chance to try it out can you post your findings? I'll eventually get around to buying a Sky3DS to test it out myself but until then this is what the community is for amirite? Thanks for your help.

It would be nice to get clarification on this too because the engrish stated that he used 2 micro sd with 10 roms and 11 roms respectively and it worked.

Nothing like whether or not system files had to be swapped around or anything like that was elaborated though so I'm not sure.

9. Keylogger

France
    If I use this tool with a brand new sky3ds and with every roms, I guess i will never reach the 10 games limit, right?

And what about saves? Now the saves are stored on the micro SD card. Using the diskwriter to backup/restore saves does nothing!
    How to backup saves now?

10. Arithmatics
    OP

Malaysia

I don't think so. technically it will always cap out at the 10game limit. all these methods describe is how to bypass that limit.

About saves, All it mentions is that disk writer 1.0.4 will backup/restore. I can't prove this but that's what the chinese forums are saying.

11. Cassase

Newcomer Cassase Newbie

Singapore
    The backup/restore function that sky3ds have is currently very buggy.

I think for now in order to backup/restore saves, you have to use the backup/restore games function in diskwriter. This is because the saves are now store in the roms due to the NoEEPROM format.

But i have yet to verify this because i got some problem restoring games with diskwriter.

12. Jayro

Member Jayro MediCat DVD Developer

United States
    You should update this tutorial with the english release of the Sky3DS tool, with english screenshots.

13. Arithmatics
    OP

Malaysia
    Well when you get around to it can you post your findings? Thank you

Yeah it's in the works right now. Will update when I'm done.

But to be honest I'm waiting for my sky3ds to arrive so I can test and retranslate/change the tutorial as necessary.

Jayro likes this.
  14. Keylogger

France

Ok so after doing some tests with Luigi's mansion, zelda OOT and DK Country returns ALL patched using the crack tool and all marked as No Eeprom:

-Diskwriter backup save option: backup a blank save, I tried to use the backuped save with GW and it's an empty save.
    -Diskwriter restore save option: tried to restore a downloaded save, but the game loads my previous save...

So I think the save is stored on the game itself or the micro SD card.

Now, I tried to backup the whole 3ds game with diskwriter.
    The game is a CARD1 game, so I don't think the save is stored in the game... I started the game with GW but I have no save!

So, I'm sure the save game is stored on the micro SD card.
    But I don't know how the card is formatted and we have no access to the card.

So with this crack tool, we CAN'T backup/restore saves!

15. Arithmatics
    OP

Malaysia
    wait you tried a gateway save with the sky3ds? I'm pretty sure that won't work At all because as far as i know gateway and sky3ds don't save the same. It's like No$GBA and Gba4ios saves. Completely different formats

Can you try playing abit with sky3ds, then reburning then try using that sky3ds save instead?

16. Keylogger

France
    I'm pretty sure saves are compatible with GW, MT, Sky3DS as long as your game doesn't use 6.x crypto save.

Anyway GW or not, I'm sure that saves restore doesn't work:
    I tried this:
    Burn Zelda OOT
    played a few minutes
    saved
    Didn't backup save to my PC but backup the game
    removed the game
    played with another game
    reburned zelda OOT

The save is here!

Formatted the card
    reburned OOT

NO SAVE

It confirms what I said: saves are stocked on the micro SD card and not on the game itself

Arithmatics likes this.
  17. dante23234

Newcomer dante23234 Member

United States
    I can get my games to load & save but when I remove the card & put in back in the saves are lost. Why?

18. Keylogger

France
    After saving in your game, press HOME, close the game and then press the red buton to switch the game.
    Then try to remove the card, put it back and check

19. dante23234

Newcomer dante23234 Member

United States
    I have my 10 games on one card & the testing one's on another. The light always flash.

I will add the 11th game on my main card & try.

Saves still not working

Well the Roms after 10 still say yes. I did run tthe crack program & edit the F8 98.

20. tony_2018

Member tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States

I don't think so, or that hasn't been proven.