Tutorial/Faq on flash carts?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TheGlow, Nov 23, 2013.

1. TheGlow
    OP

TheGlow GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    United States
    Da Bronx
    I'm in the process of getting a 2ds for my daughter and wanted to read up on flash carts.
    But jeez, it's so confusing between ds, dsi, 3ds, 2ds, then different types of games, etc.
    I have 10+ 1-2gb micro sd cards laying around so I know some work off that principal.
    But what is compatible on 2ds and would give me access to the most game types?

It's sad, I can solder modchips for x360, LED light mods in controllers, hex editing, etc.
    But this damn DS is confusing as balls.

2. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    First of all, the 2DS is on a pretty high firmware by default, meaning that it can't play 3DS ROMs as of now, and probably won't any time in the future.
    That means that the only games you can play on the 2DS by means of a flash card are regular DS games (and DSi games? But that library is almost nonexistent anyway).
    You have a few options, but the absolute best in this category is the DSTWO.

3. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    DSi games are not possible since the only DSi mode flashcard needs 2.X ;)

4. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Alright. Thanks, I didn't know that.
    Well, as I said, that's not really important since there are so few DSi games anyway.

5. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    The bigger problem is that the iEvo only supports 20% of the DSi roms since the other ones are wrong dumped or are DSi only games.

6. TheGlow
    OP

TheGlow GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    United States
    Da Bronx
    ok so for the time being then there's no 3ds rom option on the 2ds?
    but theres still a good library available for regular DS I believe?
    and is it 1 game per sdcard or is it size based and there would be a selector?

7. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    You can put multiple DS roms on one sd card. Every DS flashcard has a menu to choose the game.

8. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    DS roms also support trimming which removes some of the "filler" data that is useless. This can help save space on your card so you can fit more roms. Not sure about posting links to programs on here so just do a Google search for "batch ds rom trimmer". There are also some emulators for DS flash cards like NES, Gameboy, etc. but not all of them work at full speed... for instance, any SNES emulator I have tried. I also suggest getting the Supercard DSTWO for playing ds roms. It's the most expensive but it's also the most supported and easiest to update. They always update it quickly to work on the latest 3DS firmware.