[Tutorial] Create tiny GBA forwarders for EmuNAND

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by KhaderWelaye, Feb 5, 2016.

1. KhaderWelaye
    OP

KhaderWelaye GBAtemp Regular

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    Background: When you try to launch a GBA Game through your EmuNAND (Whether it's downloaded from the eShop through the Ambassador Program or a custom GBA game installed through a CIA), the system reboots before it loads the title. Once it reboots it will look for the title in SysNAND, and you'll get an error message if you haven't also installed the game there.

Once you have the game installed in both SysNAND and EmuNAND, everything is hunky-dory and working, but I didn't like that I had to install the same title to my system twice and take up double the space on the SD card. That's where this method comes in. (I know GBA games aren't that big, it just bothered me) I wasn't planning on writing this up, but someone requested it so here it is.

What we're doing: We are going to create two CIA files. The actual game, which will be installed in SysNAND, and a forwarder of sorts that will be installed in EmuNAND.

Please Note: This tutorial partially assumes that you are already familiar with running GBA games through EmuNAND. If you are having trouble running GBA games through EmuNAND normally, this tutorial is not the place to start.

For Custom GBA Games

For Ambassador Games

Tested with the following games:
    • All of the Ambassador GBA Titles
    • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Last edited by KhaderWelaye, Apr 3, 2016

2. Catc1h22

Catc1h22 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2015
    United States
    much needed guide-- thanks!

3. Domukuro Wolfield

Domukuro Wolfield GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    Mexico
    Calera, Zacatecas, Mexico
    Man, you made me feel good this night :grog:

4. AtlasFontaine

AtlasFontaine GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 18, 2015
    Venezuela
    Venezuela-Zulia.
    I can't download the 3DS hacking toolkit, it says that it has a virus and only the uploader can download infected files.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  5. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Linux 4.13-rc1
    Same problem here.

6. KhaderWelaye
    OP

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    Good old Google Drive making life easy for everyone. Fixed to link to the thread where I originally found it.

AtlasFontaine and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  7. AtlasFontaine

Jul 18, 2015
    Venezuela
    Venezuela-Zulia.
    Managed to finally make it work, thank you so much for this guide :D

8. hobbledehoy899

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Linux 4.13-rc1
    Worked like a charm!

9. YharnamBadass

YharnamBadass GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Ecuador
    If I download a gba cia over the internet, that means I can start from step 3 right?

10. hobbledehoy899

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Linux 4.13-rc1
    That's exactly what I did and it worked perfectly!

11. YharnamBadass

Jan 4, 2016
    Ecuador
    Perfect, I´ll try this for my cias tomorrow and report back :D

12. YharnamBadass

Jan 4, 2016
    Ecuador
    Alright, I can´t sleep so I figured I would try, and boy oh boy, @KhaderWelaye I would invite you a freaking hamburguer and fries combo with your favorite soda, You are a genius. It works perfectly and Once you get the hang of it, it´s so simple it will take you literally no time to make all those steps.

One thing though, when using the 3DSB you might want to write in your tutorial to not forget to name the file .3ds at the end or simple 3ds to cia converter will not work!.

13. Ezehokadrim

Ezehokadrim Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    Canada
    Huh cool, I'll have to do that when I finish setting up my newly downgraded ambassador 3DS.

14. Grea1ne316

Grea1ne316 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2013
    I follow step 5 to 7 but the cia does not appear to be unpacked as there is no ExtractedExeFS folder.

15. KhaderWelaye
    OP

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    The only time this ever happened to me was if the CIA wasn't decrypted (won't be the case for CIAs created with the 3DS Simple GBA Converter) or if the game had spaces or special characters in the file name.

16. DarkJesus

DarkJesus Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2008
    This is amazing. Even though gba roms are so small, it just doesn't feel right to have them installed twice. This feels a lot more comfortable.

Would be amazing if someone was able to create a tool to do all the middle steps in one go.

17. AtlasFontaine

Jul 18, 2015
    Venezuela
    Venezuela-Zulia.
    And it also does help those people who use small sized sd cards like me :)

18. YharnamBadass

Jan 4, 2016
    Ecuador
    Before I did this, Dragon ball adventures saved properly, but now, it doesn´t save, in fact, none of my gba injected games save!!. (I deleted the cias on the emunand before installing the tiny forwarders so I thought the save file deletion was normal, but now it doesn´t save at all) any help? :S

EDIT: Now this is very curious, I played Dragon Ball Advanced Adventures again, and I carefully checked if it did save after the level and it said "Save Succesful" but it didn´t save.... what is happening? :S

Last edited by YharnamBadass, Feb 10, 2016
  19. KhaderWelaye
    OP

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    All your GBA saves go through SysNAND, so if there is a problem with your saves that's where the root of the problem is. Have you tried loading your SysNAND with CFW and checking if they work there?

Also keep in mind that this tutorial is for if you're using unlinked NANDs. If your SysNAND and EmuNAND are linked, all you need to do is install a normal CIA on EmuNAND.

20. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    I'll like to report that I made an official GBA VC forwarder just doing a deep decrypt with decrypt9 and then doing the regular process from step 3 onwards.