SlimGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi guys,

Great website, a few of u recently helped with a DSi LL issue i have and now thats sorted now i bring an issue from Wii land. This is where im at. I have a brand new Wii version 4.1E and i have done the bannerbomb hack to enable homebrew apps. Thats fine, works 100%.

Now, i want to be able to install WAD files onto the system, but i had the error of 2011 when trying to install via WAD manager. From what i am gathering it seems i might have to downgrade something somewhere and this is where i get lost with the cISO and the IOS15's and all that. Being on 4.1E and wanting to get these wads working, what is the best way to go about it being someone who doesnt do this kinda stuff for a living. And is the downgrading thing on the right track.

Hope this makes sense. Any help would be great. Thanks.

DJBBOY

Dmon84

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
if you dont wanna update to 4.2 then you should do the following:
1. Patch IOS36 -> TruchaBugRestorer
2. Install Wads or cIOS with that IOS.

But if you mess around with untested wads then you should also install priiloader to protect your wii.

leondmsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
Dont downgrade im certain that if your wii came with 4.1 preinstalled if you downgrade you will brick, run ZXZEROS guide like poster above said. Simples ...

SlimGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
guys, thank u so much for the help. Pretty much got everything i needed from that and on the right track. Awesome guide to follow and very simple.

Just gotta work on GC backups and such. Will the SD slot support 16gb cards after the soft mod has been done ?

DJBBOY

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its hit and miss with SDHC cards, it may work, it may not...buy it from a place you can return it to.

GC Backups are easy, just know that the installer uses a GC controller, not the Wii remote. If you plan on creating a multi iso disc for GC, beware of Mutiisocreator (or something like that), it works great, but always burns a PAL disc, the gamecube backup launcher 0.2 will auto switch to the disc region. So if your tv supports PAL great, otherwise, stick with 0.1Xi or burn one game per disc, or use a different method to compile the multi iso disc

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
djbboy said:
guys, thank u so much for the help. Pretty much got everything i needed from that and on the right track. Awesome guide to follow and very simple.
Just gotta work on GC backups and such. Will the SD slot support 16gb cards after the soft mod has been done ?
DJBBOY
why do you need a 16Gb SDHC when you can use triiforce to launch VC/wiiware games off a HDD.

SlimGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yeah i got to that, i ended up getting a 500gb WD drive. Now im confused with the following.

I format the drive so its fresh, i partion off the drive with WBFS Manager 3.0 and that works perfect. Now i transfer over my CISO files to be able to be played with usb loader gx. When transfered over works before and no issues on wii.

Now the issue, when i plug the drive back into the PC, straight away a popup shows up asking me to format, i say cancel, and i can no longer read the drive, unless i format. Plug back into wii, and it wont read it any more. I repeat the process, but dont plug it into wii, but just plug it back into the computer again, and again, asks me to format. Am i doing something wrong ?? This is killing me as if i wanna add more games later, i have to start from scratch..

DJBBOY

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Simply put, the WBFS Manager formats the drive into WBFS format. Windows does not recognise this format so it assumes it's an unformatted drive when trying to access it. This is why it asks you to format it - because it can only access a FAT32/NTFS formatted drive. If you want to access a WBFS formatted drive, you have to do it through WBFS Manager or any other WBFS managing program. Likewise, to put games onto it, you have to use that program to do it for you. You can't just copy/paste games into it.

Simply put, you can either format it once to WBFS and forever access it purely through WBFS Manager, or you can split it into 2 partitions (say, 200G/300G), one formatted into WBFS for all your games, and the other into FAT32 or NTFS for any files you feel like putting on it. I have an external 1TB formatted at 200G/800G to this end.

There was an option before about having games on a FAT32 formatted drive, where game images would have to be split into 2 or more parts, but I prefer WBFS - it just makes sense to me (since I've come across the same problems trying to deal with Mac drives).

DaMan4169

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you plug in the Wii drive note the letter in the popup but click Cancel......

Launch WBFS Manager 3.0 and near the top top there is a drop down menu with a load button right beside it, select whatever letter windows assigns to your Wii Games drive (the one listed in the popup warning stating unreadable and needs to be formatted) and click Load. All of the games currently on the drive will appear in the window on the Left and you can browse to game files on your computer in the window on the Right.

Not sure why GX has an issue reading it after plugging into computer as I just use a 8G SanDisk Cruzer with NeoGamma or Wannin's USB Loader. Only ever have 3 or 4 games on my drive at a time so don't need anything fancy. Just be sure to Safely Remove Devise before unplugging, I haven't had problems with not using it but others have so who knows......

Check out This maybe try another loader if that one continues to give you problems, in addition to those I read uLoader is also a decent USB loader.

Or also read Here for putting games on FAT drive so you wont get the popup, but have to use one of the listed loaders....

SlimGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Makes alot of sense. Awesome. I bought the drive for wii and wii only so i might just leave it as is. With something like New Super Mario Bros, i ripped it from the retail cd with all the updated versions of usb loader and such, with patching and stuff is it better to be able to access the files itself, or with the new version of USB loader, will it just rip it and patch it ok.

You guys have been a great help, thank u so much for all of this, is really making the experience worth while.

DJBBOY

SlimGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Also, what does it usually mean when i got to run a game, and the light of the wii lights up, and u cant do anything but reset the wii ??

Only so far seems to of happend with Wii Fit so far

DJBBOY

leondmsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
It means error =) Chances are you have a bad rip or are doing something bad.

Basicly your wii has crashed, maybe you are missing a required IOS? or you are trying to play an out of region game.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
leondmsmith said:

Basicly your wii has crashed, maybe you are missing a required IOS? or you are trying to play an out of region game.
When loading via USB, you only use a cIOS, so the required IOS for the game doesn't matter.
Is the game your region?

SlimGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ya is my region, that was the first thing i thought it might of been. Brilliant guide btw xzxero, u helped out alot. The game is Wii Fit, i think i might have a dud copy, and now i cant remember where i got it from for the life of me. I might grab the game from a mate and try and re-rip the cd and see how that goes, seems to be fine for pretty much everything else.

New super mario bros seems to be fine for now, have just ripped from actual retail disk, have not got to the 2nd castle yet which seems to be the big test, but i read that using the latest version of usb loader should be fine to play game without need of patching. Other than that everything else seems to be fine.

DJBBOY

vegemikee

Trophies
XP
Country
xzxero said:
leondmsmith said:

When loading via USB, you only use a cIOS, so the required IOS for the game doesn't matter.
Is the game your region?

actually, my neighbours wii couldnt play nsmb even via usb loader. i had to install ios55 for him, which then allowed the loader to play it

SlimGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
everything seems ok the way i did it so far which is good. Now to start building my collection

DJBBOY

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night