Trouble formatting external HD

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by nijs5, Nov 30, 2016.

1. nijs5
    OP

nijs5 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2016
    United States
    I have a 1TB drive I am trying to use for on the WiiU but I get stuck at the checking drive phase when formatting. The drive was originally internal drive but its hooked up to a sata to usb 3.0 adapter which includes a power cord that plugs in. (just some background info not sure if this is the problem.) I searched around and couldn't find an answer.

I read elsewhere that the wiiu only supports usb 2.0 (although I thought it would be backward compatible) Have other people got usb 3.0 working fine?

I've also tried unblocking updates and seeing if the wiiu needed a connection to the nintendo network to format the drive but that did not make a difference.

The wiiu also doesnt notice the drive on boot so I have to attempt this through the settings.

I tried formatting the drive to exFAT and NTFS before hand and neither worked.

Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

2. Jhnsn

Jhnsn *Flat is Justice*

Sep 1, 2016
    Australia
    The drive is incompatible. Like mine. If you want to load games from USB you need another compatible drive.

3. nijs5
    OP

nijs5 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2016
    United States
    That's a shame. OK thanks!

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    ...Or a large enough USB stick, or a nano USB microSD reader.

nijs5 likes this.
  5. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    One final measure you could take is to buy a Y splitter and power the drive using two USB ports instead of one USB port and external power.

Using a Y splitter worked perfectly for my 700GB internal HDD inside of a Sabrent SATA to USB 3.0 enclosure. Your results may very, though.

nijs5 and zeldaism like this.
  6. zeldaism

zeldaism GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 19, 2016
    United States
    If your looking for a new HDD I recommend you get either a Western Digital, Seagate, or a SanDisk HDD. And like Irastris said try a y cable.

nijs5 likes this.