Trimming games using 3DS explorer

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Chrisssj2, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    So I heard it could cause some compatibility problem if you remove update and CGI for nand games?

I decided not to remove updates.

But to remove CGI for all games. However not for nand games.

I know Pokémon is such a game. What other games do I need to think of, as I have quite a lot.

Thanks.

2. apachehavok

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Dont remove the update partition from ANY game but the CCI is safe for card1 games.

There should be a list somewhere for card2 games... not sure where it is though. I dont give a fuck about pokemon or animal crossing so I dont care about it :)

3. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Yeah that's what I did, let all updates untouched.

But CCI card 1 games?? No idea....?

4. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Mixed reports. Some claim that some games will crash if trimmed at all (aka that CCI trim), some say card1 games all work.

So if space is an issue for you: just trim all, try them, untrim those that fail.

in regards to CARD2: should only be pokemon (x/y) and animal crossing new leaf. i _think_ there was also a moonrune one, but i've got no clue what it's named.

edit: well, completely forgotten: rom_tool as well as 3ds explorer should show you the cardtype somewhere (but will happily trim card2 none the less).

5. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    I see thanks!
    And the ones that crash? You mean crash @ boot
    Random crashes throughout game or what?
    Or you don't know?

I will try this.

6. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Sorry, can't say for sure if the crashes are supposed to happen on launch or random during play (haven't payed that much attention yet as I'm still opting out on omega)

7. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    someone needs to make a new sticky where we have the OP updated , it would have a tutorial video in OP for how to trim roms , demonstrating the different types of trims ,supertrim etc, and in the thread we would collect reports of roms with different levels of trim that are or are not working with GW multirom 2.1 omega FW , details should be provided as to wich file system is being used exfat or fat32,which OS ,win,osx etc was used to format the msd and what format tool was used ,and what method of trim was used,what was removed ,size of rom before trim, size of rom after trim, etc , and if other methods of trim were tried but failed , this was we can know which games to trim and by how much so we can maximize space on our MSD's

8. Quicksilver88

Quicksilver88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    So far everything I have trimmed has worked fine as far mounting and launching go. I trimmed a lot of them after I copied to microSD used the rom_tool with gui and only trimmed CCI of CARD1. No problems.

9. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Same for me I tried 30 games so far.. they all booted whole trimmed.. I only left pokemon untouched. Not interested in animal crossing.

So I hope they don't crash somewhere in the game lol..

10. Liberty

Liberty GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 22, 2008
    Gambia, The
    If I trim my roms only for backup-purpose and don't use the super-trim, I should be safe?