yay p1ngpong.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can't understand why there's such a commotion on Reddit and similar sites about The Penguin Bar 'selling out'.

After putting in such a massive investment of 60 million SEK (about $7.8 million or £4.7 million), the company who buys them will not alter the site substantially. If they do, they'll lose the users, and their investment will be worthless. It's as simple as that.

Worst case scenario: People have to go to another torrent site. What a shame.

Maybe it's just me who doesn't see this because I use something better...

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
Hmm..the company who bought TPB, Global Gaming Factory X AB, is a gaming company, right?
I think that they will stop hosting illegal torrents and eventually TPB will die :/
I hope that it's a joke.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmmmmm anyone else think that this is either

A) B.S. to try stir up more interest in what no ones bothered about now and use other sites

or

B) They really are going to sell out and go the way of NAPSTER and do LEGAL torrents and still get paid for it!

C) ...Go with option B) to stay out of Jail collect $200 and still run a illegal site on the side or once funds are raised?

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If someone offered me $8M for a site, I'd gladly sell out. But, TPB was a good place for torrents.

Also, omg I haven't seen Sinkhead post here in a long time :/

Stiff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TPB will be missed and was easily the best laid out torrent site.

They got slapped with a huge fine, no re-trial, and so I'm sure that forced this issue. They sold it for next to nothing for a top 100 site anyway. The new company will try to make as much as they can in legal torrents and ads, effectively running it into the ground. The x owners got the cash they need to pay off the lawyers, the fines, and probably buy a nice little island somewhere.

I would have done the same thing....

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IMO I think they're gonna go the Napster route and go "legal." No matter to me. I use other sites.

Off topic: That is one drunk penguin.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sinkhead doesn't like meh since he always gets rid of my overly sized siggys xD.

TPB... I hardly use that site. I use other alternative sites... That require memberships and sometimes when that site isn't so awesome, I switch to my other site that doesnt need a membership.

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
They will just make "treasure Cove" and remake it, it's just free cash in there back pockets.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm really not surprised by this. The amount of traffic TPB gets daily, they must be making alot of money from ads and such. Yes bandwidth and server costs money, but last time I checked it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for bandwidth from a proper hosting company.

Personally I never really like TPB and didn't use their services, so I won't miss them either way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: