Touch screen accuracy off

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Flip2k, Jul 25, 2009.

Jul 25, 2009

Touch screen accuracy off by Flip2k at 12:22 AM (631 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Flip2k
    OP

Newcomer Flip2k Newbie

United States
    Hey all, so i've had my phat DS since the day DS came out in NA so pretty much five years now. It's held up really well until a freak accident occurred recently and a large textbook dropped on the touch screen. Now the center of the touch screen is erratic and the screen reads the stylus millimeters to the side. The rest of the touch screen is fine. I've considered sending the DS to Nintendo but I would like to know the price of repair first. Also, my serial number has long since been scratched off and my box disposed. So what are my options? Is there a way I could replace the screen myself? Thanks a lot.

2. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Have you tried recalibrating it? By the sounds of it, though, that probably won't work. I actually had the same sort of problem with my old DS...I just went and replaced the touch module on it, and it works fine. You can find a touch module here:
    http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3259

...but you have to be REALLY careful when replacing it. I also found that the replacement touch module on that site is made out of glass instead of plastic, and thus, is more fragile and easier to break if you make a mistake when installing it. You have to go and pry the old one off with a screwdriver and put the new one on top, EXACTLY on the same place. If you mess up, you might crack the glass when taking it off again. And the ribbon cables are REALLY fragile, so you should be really careful when handling them. There are guides out there on how to take apart a DS phat...just google it.

Good luck!

3. Flip2k
    OP

Newcomer Flip2k Newbie

United States
    Thanks! Love that site, awesome prices. I don't really have any experience with replacing hardware, how hard is this procedure?

4. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Hm...lol, dunno what to relate it to. Just replacing the touch screen isn't quite as bad as taking the whole thing apart, but it's still quite a bother to do. In any case, here's a video on taking a DS apart, but it's in spanish...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dT_hyOCS2Q

But here's an English text guide on it:
    http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=81938

Anyway, guess it's up to you whether you want to do it or not. I was able to replace mine without too much trouble, but still, it took over an hour to replace the entire case...but it's not too bad, just getting to the screen. Be really careful though. The L+R buttons are also kinda difficult to put back in sometimes too...you just need to be careful. That's basically how you take anything apart...just be careful. [​IMG]

5. EpicPie

Member EpicPie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you paid me a bit of cash and covered shipping ide be willing to replace the touch screen for you. You also have to provide the replacement touch screen if you were wondering. PM me for more details.

6. Flip2k
    OP

Newcomer Flip2k Newbie

United States
    Ok so I bought the replacement took apart my DS and was able to replace it, but now the DS will not turn on, the green light turns on for a second then the DS turns off any help?

EDIT: Nvm, just needed to get the ribbons better connected.