Too many Touch Screen.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by rockmanmegaman, Jan 10, 2010.

Jan 10, 2010

Too many Touch Screen. by rockmanmegaman at 5:51 PM (3,331 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. rockmanmegaman
    OP

Newcomer rockmanmegaman Advanced Member

China
    Do anyone like playing games, where it involve the use of touch screen only and the digital buttons are really just useless. For example "Harvest Moon Island of Happiness (Everything is done by touch screen), "Zelda Phantom of Hourglass (I think everything needed touchscreen too if I remembered correctly), etc.

Yeah so I just want to hear people's opinion as most DS game does that and I don't think they do it just to tease us, so just wanted to know is it just me that hates the overuse of touch screen.

2. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    DS works if you use the buttons or the touch screen. A mix never works too well as you have to fumble for the stylus for a brief moment, put it back and use the buttons until it happens again.

3. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I agree. Full touchscreen is good and full pad/buttons is good. It's only when a game requires a cumbersome combination of the two that it becomes annoying.

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I don't have a problem with touchscreen games per se, I have a problem with them making games use the touchscreen exclusively when they didn't have to, and not giving you a choice between touchscreen control or d-pad and buttons in those cases. That is what irritates me.

5. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I concur with Jamstruth and Depravo, the only part of GTA:CW that I didn't like was switching between stylus and buttons. Overall, I prefer buttons, but touch isn't all bad.

6. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    when you have something against touch, you shouldn't bought a DS...

7. rockmanmegaman
    OP

China
    I'm not saying I have anything against touch. I'm just saying games that relying on too much on touch screen is really anoying for me when the game rely too much on it.

8. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium

Kind of agree with you on the bold part. I hate it because it wears my touchscreen off way too much and too fast, I really don't like that.
    Then I got scratches on my touchscreen and it looks like shit.
    That's also the reason why I only completed TLoZ PH once, and not more times, even though I think it's one of the best games I've ever played.

9. rockmanmegaman
    OP

China
    finally someone that agree with me.

10. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    I know how annoying touch controls can be. My ds phat has a messed up touch screen, so I can't play touch games on it.
    Luckily I got a dsi recently so I can play touch games again.

11. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I like having the option of using touch screen, or the d-pad and buttons. I don't like the idea of using the touch screen exclusively, when the d-pad could work just as well.

12. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    I knw how that is. I used to have second-hand DS lite(white), the screen was so messed up that if I touched the middle of the screen it registered about a centimeter to left.

13. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Didn't calibration help?

14. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    No no, you see at the center of the top of the screen it was accurate, but as you move the stylus down from the top it became skewed. In the top-right corner it was also inaccurate, though much less, to the left.
    My fault, I should have been more specific.

15. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    yes too much touch screen for me too, as in Spirit Tracks, and James Cameron's the Avatar, the

touch screen is far more suited for the puzzle genre, e.g Scrabble, hidden object games

16. aphirst

Member aphirst "Aren't girls with pee-pees just men?"

Germany
    To be fair, it's the Nintendo Dual Screen, not the Nintendo TS.

But yeah; I'm basically in agreement - all-buttons is good, all-touch is good (if well programmed), and mixtures only work when they've been thought-through properly.

17. Supersonicmonk

Member Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I think it all depends on the game, personally I like the touch screen as it make menus faster to navigate and certain games benefit from a new control method. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum annoyed me because although buttons works well with the over world view, the menus where touch screen controls would have been most useful (albeit battles were an exception) were done really badly and I always had to resort to the d-pad, I was glad to see that this was fixed in Soul silver and Heart Gold though. Both DS Zelda titles are often criticized for only having stylus controls but I liked them and thought they worked well with the game, I do think it would've been better to have d-pad controls however just to please the hardcore button fans but I'm not going to blame Nintendo for trying to go in a different direction for once. I recently got N.O.V.A for the iPod touch and although I love the game and think they did an amazing job considering the challenge of a FPS only using the touchscreen, part of me does long for the L button and D-pad like in Metroid Prime Hunters. Basically I feel developers should try and include a healthy mix of both and it really annoys me when they try and add touch screen controls to what would be a game but can only work well with buttons (moving maxwell in scribble naughts is a prime example).

18. Dwight

Member Dwight Gawb. Gawb Bluth.

United States
    If it works, fine, I don't care.
    I'm just sick of developers seeing a gimmick and using it when it isn't necessary.
    This has ruined many DS and Wii games for me.

19. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    a good combination of them two are good, but sometimes it gets to hard to follow. But I don't care at the end if the game is good (I'm a big fan of TWEWY and is a xtreme example of touch-button combination).

When I orderer some OSTS ago from internet, I get a special edition stylus of NSMB, and this one never scratched the screen of my DS, as it si better made than the one of the DS (it appears the one of the DSi is better done)

20. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    I hate how games only make you do a touch screen control for a good two seconds and then that's it. I hate having to switch back and forth, it's real annoying.