Hacking To Be honest Gateway 2.01b is useless/meh

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I wonder if OP was one of the people who sent emails once a day to Gateway team asking when 2.0 will be released, started multiple duplicate threads asking if Gateway 2.0 will ever be released and posted in every Gateway thread stating that 2.0 was just a myth and buy a R4i Deluxe/3DSlink instead.

The group of people I just mentioned in the previous paragraph are the reason we have been left with a poxy beta release.

Reactions: earny

aiat_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
the ones who really are on the fence about updating at the moment if they dont really care for the new zelda and stuff which more then likely wont save which does not work for more people then it does work.

and there will always be people defending crap just look at steam forums there are people still defending the war z

First of all, a little look at the first page shows different threads on any potential problems 2.0b might have, there was really no need to make a new thread about it. Second of all if anyone is not interested in the support for the new games, why in the hell are they even interested in trying out the new firmware? For sh*ts and giggles?! So they can piss and moan about the problems?!
Finally, comparing this to War Z? You really are pushing it dude, seriously. As others said, just man up, update your 3DS to the latest version and start paying for your games, and save us the trouble.

MadButch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OP is just someone running into lots of trouble with the beta firmware, as probably a lot of us have done as well.

Imo, the title of the thread couldn't have been picked worse.

If you really wanna help people avoid the update, then go with something like "Avoid GW2.0beta (save issues/freezes)" or "Avoid GW2.0beta unless prepared for extensive research).

You do have to read some guides to be able to use this new version, and if you do, it works just as fine as the old ones. Worse in some parts (white stripes at bootup) and better at others (Zelda!).

But to be honest... for the older firmwares you also had to read some guides (home -> close to actually save).

So let me try to help you convey your message:
If you're on the fence right now about whether to install GW2.0beta, then ask yourself:
Do I really want to play a game right now that my current GW doesn't run, or can I entertain myself with some older titles that do work until the real 2.0 is released?

If you can wait, by all means... wait. 2.0 final will surely be better.
If you can't, follow any of the guides available (there's at least 1 good one in the tutorials section), and you will be fine.

Happy gaming

WhyKlef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Please note that everything I write is hypothetical and not confirmed by Gateway team. To the OP:

I believe, some SD cards will work better then others. I would suggest that you used a small SD cards as the data should be quickly accessed versus a high capacity card. And also, one that is fast if you have differents classes. I, for one, use the one that was bundled with the 3DS and it works great.

For the actual saves, I had the problem at first and I found the problem. I would leave my 3DS always powered, sometimes on charges and most importantly, on sleep mode. (clamshell closed)

Again, this is hypothetical but I think that on sleep mode, the 3DS will eventually shut down SD access (like a PC with hard drives) to maintain battery life. It's a that point that when you'll exit a game, the SD link will probably be broken while in-game and the save will freeze/corrupt.

Don't put the 3DS in Sleep Mode between powering the game and saving. Not a single time has the save not worked, regardless of the game.

And last, if really Sleep Mode is crucial for you, you might want to have another SD with no EmuNand, heck, you could put an old firmware on that SD. Hope this helps! :)

P.S. YEAH FOR BETA FIRMWARES!!

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone on the "official" Gateway forum said it's possible the reason it's freezing is that people are saving and then closing the application right after. The assumption is that it's still doing some kind of write process. He said in his tests, it never froze if he waited 5 seconds between saving and closing the app from the home menu. That's something to try I suppose.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious, and am not sure if it's been answered yet, but... What is the reason you can't get online with the ROMs? Software mis-communication of some kind? Hardware limitation? Software bug in the Gateway firmware? Missing RSA keys? I'm really curious to know. The DS never had any issues with playing ROMs online that I'm aware of...

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It's named 2.01b for a reason. It's a beta version, so these things are sort of expected to happen. And Zelda/MH4/Batman works fine, and retail games with fw past 4.5 can be played, even online. So if you don't like it, or don't need these features, then the solution is simple: Don't download it, wait for the final v2.0

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are on 4.x or using a Gateway I for one would at least install it and update your EmuNand.....my fear is Nintendo will push 7.x any day now (as they said they would release it in Dec) and then how are you going to build a 6.3 emunand on your SD card?

I would say more than just buggy or unstable it is 'quirky' and with some attention to what causes it to crash you can eliminate most of the troubles. I have two 3DS on 4.5 (one regular, one XL) and have had very little problems and am currently playing Batman, Zelda, Bravely Default and also playing Pokemon X reatil cart and have had no real problems with freezing or save problems......here are some things I do that seem to work for me.

1. Try reformatting your 3DS SD card before starting (use Panasonic formatter and do a full low level format).
2. Try a different SD card....I was having a lot of problems doing my Nand backup to a certain older 2GB card but had no problems with the 4GB Lexar card that game with my XL.
3. I have found I mostly get the 'grey bar' problem when having been in EmuNand, exiting it, and then trying to go back in. On a cold boot I never seem to have problems. So if you have for some reason exited Emunand (classic or gateway) mode then just do a power down and relaunch from pofile/ds.
4. I do think the game saving is handled a bit different as it may be 'clone' writing the eeprom to the SD when the save happens. In previous Gateway FW this was not the case as the save file was only written on a home/close. I also noticed that with 2.0b1 it always loads the .sav file everytime when entering a game. I think the 5 second rule is a good one.....after doing the save in game, just wait a few seconds before closing out.

This is a BETA and things will improve.....what 'blows' about the OP's title is the total lack of appreciation for what has been done here......which is for god sakes they have succesfully redirected the Nand to the SD card and are essentially running a hybrid 4.5/6.3 firmware that retains the expliot. It is only the beginning so hang on and things will be better in the final......

smoke14me61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest you're talking bullshit, first it doesn't freeze to everyone just some people, second it works and saves fine for alot of people including me, also you can access the eshop to buy games that work onlne, you can't play online with any card not just gateway, and last stop whining.

DITTO Although mine does not restart after the crash occasionally. No big deal. I can play New LOZ!

kyomagi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so hostile in here.

Well i can kinda agree with OP. i have to try 3-4 times to get it to boot into gateway mode

i get stuck with the white lines kinda annoying

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I stuck to 1.2. I hate beta code. Always issues. I just wait for final release. Good things come to those that wait...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?