TI-83 Series

Tombstoner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever since I found out the capabilities of these "calculators," I've been quite interested in them. I consider myself quite adept with TI-Basic, though I know no Assembly. I was thinking that here we could discuss these devices and post programs that you found or made.
I've made one game and a couple of other Basic programs if anyone's interested.

uyt.95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have a TI 84 plus, but programming is rather the same as on a TI 83.
I've made some programs for math and one little game.
The only problem I have is that I can't connect with my laptop / pc, because I have vista and windows 7 but the TI 84 can only connect with xp (so far as I know).

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
This is how I got into programming actually. Back in the day I was part of a team developing a 3rd-party OS called Vera. Just like all the other attempts, it fell apart. It's always such a big project that nobody ever gets past beta/alpha releases.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I've got it emulated on my DS lite, it's quite nice. I've used it in my classes.
yaynds.gif

Tombstoner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
The Ti-8X series uses a Z80 chip. You can get it hacked and use assembly language programs which run faster than the TI-Basic.

http://www.ticalc.org/

They also got a large repository of TI-Basic apps already written.
I said I don't know Assembly.
About 3rd-party OS's, I actually didn't know people made any that are used. I might check one out on WabbitDS.
@Snailface: You win an internet for that.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
The Ti-8X series uses a Z80 chip. You can get it hacked and use assembly language programs which run faster than the TI-Basic.

http://www.ticalc.org/

They also got a large repository of TI-Basic apps already written.
There is no hacking involved in assembly. They are designed to run it.

Edit: I actually know some of the guys who made WabbitDS, WabbitEmu, etc. They are pretty smart.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
There are already premade ASM programs, you do not even have to learn anything. You only need to pick how you get your TI calc hacked and then just load it with what you want.
There is no hacking needed to run asm programs. If they are TI-ASM, then you run them using the asm( command. If they are other types of asm, run them with the loader they are designed for (ION, Mirage, Crunchy, etc.). You send those apps/programs using TI-Connect. You don't have to "hack" the calculator to send them, since they are correctly signed.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I had an 83+, got MirageOS and ran a couple cool games (Such as Phoenix and a mario game or two), but a lot of my time was spent coding a text-based gundam RPG.

Since I used LABEL and GOTO a lot it'd run out of RAM every so often, and I don't think I got a safe saving method done...That is called a memory leak. The reason LBL and GOTO were discouraged (especially in games) is because they could cause that exact problem, plus GOTO was just really slow if the LBL was near the end of the program. It occurs when you place a GOTO inside of a loop. Until END is executed, that loop continues to stay in the memory. Each time this happens it takes up more and more of the RAM.
how_do_i_do_that said:
Hacking a TI calc requires flashing a hacked backup image of the OS. TI-ASM is not found on older Ti-8X calcs.Wrong. There is no backup image of the OS. I spent years on this, writing BASIC, ASM, and a 3rd-party OS. You clearly don't understand how this works.

QUOTE(Rydian @ May 4 2011, 06:07 PM)
Hm, about how far? I know for my 83+ (+, not normal) MirageOS could run as an application and would launch ASM games.
It could do that because he is wrong.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Now your just being an ass as to how running stuff on the TI calcs.

The Ti-83 and TI-84 DOESN'T support ASM without a hacked backup. As for how long ago you think you been working on TI-ASM for the TI-83 plus, I am talking about the calculators older than 2000.

Here are the calculators by date:
http://www.ticalc.org/basics/calculators/

The backup image of the calculators holds the ROM image aka the OS interface which has to be hacked on older models.

The memory leak to get code running is how a hack works.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
Now your just being an ass as to how running stuff on the TI calcs.

The Ti-83 and TI-84 DOESN'T support ASM without a hacked backup. As for how long ago you think you been working on TI-ASM for the TI-83 plus, I am talking about the calculators older than 2000.

Here are the calculators by date:
http://www.ticalc.org/basics/calculators/

The backup image of the calculators holds the ROM image aka the OS interface which has to be hacked on older models.
Lol, you continue to fail.
rolleyes.gif
Not only do both of those support ASM without hacking, the TI-84+ (the TI-84 doesn't even exist) came out in 2004!
How about we take a look at the page you linked to:
QUOTE» TI-83 (1996)
The TI-83 was released as the successor to the TI-82 and featured a newer, more contoured case design that has since been used on all of TI's newer calculators. The TI-83 features backwards compatibility with TI-82 programs and some newer financial functions, but by far the most notable aspect of this calculator is built-in assembly programming capability supported by TI itself. This advance saved curious programmers the trouble of "hacking" the calculator themselves to achieve this functionality, and marked the beginning of TI's embracement of assembly programming. The TI-83 was a popular programming platform, but has now been replaced by the TI-83 Plus, an updated model.

The reserved flash memory does contain the OS, but there isn't a backup of it. One result of sending a 3rd-party OS incorrectly was the complete removal of the OS.

For your own sake, I suggest you stop this argument and stop embarrassing yourself.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I wasn't contradicting you, I was stating something that many people get confused on.

I do know that MirageOS has the ability to run "archived" TI-BASIC programs, I used that to make sure my creations were safe when I wasn't modifying them. X3
Yeah, archived programs are stored in the flash memory. I was never a fan of Mirage because of it. There is no way to run a program directly from flash memory. Loaders like Mirage unarchive the program (move it to the RAM), run it, then archive it (move it back to the flash). This wears down on the flash memory. It's not a problem for most, but for developers like me who constantly used calculators for testing programs (yes, I was a geek), it could ruin a calculator. One of mine is quite worn down and is extremely slow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: