This thing bricked?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TheHomesk1llet, Jun 8, 2013.

1. TheHomesk1llet
    OP

TheHomesk1llet Also known as "Kupo"

Apr 29, 2013
    United States
    Cyberspace
    Here is a video explaining the situation.

I don't really talk like that

If you don't feel like reading the description, I wanted to run my SSBB backup from my USB, which worked on another Wii that I have, except I don't know how I installed CIOS222 and 223 on it. I read that you have to install a trucha bugged IOS, in this case IO236, which I did, to run Hermes CIOS 222 223 installer. I did so successfully and tried to run the installer by selecting CIOS236, and it said "reloading IOS236", and froze there. I didn't think much of it since it's happened to other wiis I have, which are not bricked, and I continued to restart my Wii. After doing so, however, the content in the video occurred; the Wii freezing after the health and safety screen with a buzzing noise.

I don't have Priiloader on this one, and since it's a newer BLACK Wii, Bootmii only installed as an IOS. I have a backup NAND, but it's pretty much useless at this point, isn't it.

So...any help?

2. Supercool330

Supercool330 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    You must have tried to install a bad channel or something, as this looks sort of like a banner brick. An IOS installer that only touches IOS versions over 200 should be totally safe, and the fact that it sort of boots makes it look like it isn't an IOS problem at all. If you could get into the hbc and use any title deleter to remove any channels you installed via wad, it would probably fix the problem. Also, don't use cIOS 222 or 223, use cIOS D2X. Don't ever install any wads unless you have Priiloader or bootmii boot2, and never touch a system channel, or IOS less than 200. Also, why did you feel the need to create 2 threads? I seriously considered not posting just because you felt it was necessary to create two threads.

3. mauifrog

mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

Jan 21, 2010
    United States
    Possibly you could load the wii into maintenance mode by hold + - when the health screen loads, then press A while holding. If that fails the only fix is via recovery menu with savemiifrii. You would need a gc controller, backup dvd supporting dvd drive installed, and most likely a modchip, or just a wode to cover the dvd drive and modchip part. You should be able to fix it from recovery menu load ssbb pal and hacking with smash stack pal.

Fix would likely be to reinstall system menu ios, system menu, and priiloader without restarting the wii. Possibly also formating the wii via system settings, or the pink fish disc.

This wii should be easy to fix, but a black wii does not have a dvd drive that support backup disc loading. So it would take some work. Or send it to someone with the need tools to fix it.

If it does not have gc ports, probably only nand programming can fix it.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Just to elaborate on this.
    If you own a legit SSBB copy, you don't need a modchip or a dvd drive that supports backups.

5. TheHomesk1llet
    OP

Apr 29, 2013
    United States
    Cyberspace
    There are two threads? Funny...I'll delete the other one.

Thanks for the replies. Fortunately, I'm not stupid enough to try to install homebrew on a holiday Wii without GC ports, so no problem there. I just don't have a tri wing screwdriver, and I REALLY don't want to buy one. I don't have my copy of SSBB with me, and it's not PAL.

Maintenance mode works, I can access the menu by using it, however I cannot load the HBC, but it's the only channel I've tried. I can, however, access all of the settings. I'm backing up save data right now. Will a system format fix the problem?

Just to clarify, I have no modchips, and I'm not interested in any. And it is not a holiday Wii, it's just black, which, if I remember correctly, only affects the color and the optical drive type.

And I'm pretty sure the pink fish disk is fake.

6. mauifrog

Jan 21, 2010
    United States
    I would install priiloader before doing the system settings format. Most likely the format will fix your problem, but it can hang and not work at times. The format would not effect priiloader, so it can be a good idea to install it first just in case things go south in your menu.

FYI- you can not load any retail game from recovery menu without patching the game to autoboot, either with a modchip, patching the iso, or using system menu hacks.

The pink fish disc is real, and works.

7. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    Mauifrog is right. Smash Bros Brawl NTSC is not autoboot. Plus it has a check if it's running from backup media. SSBB PAL doesn't have this check, and, it's autoboot by default.

You may be able to swap the DVD drive if you're bricked, and patch sysmenu IOS (with trucha) if you ever need recovery mode and homebrew autobooting discs. And stick with 4.1x as 4.2x onwards disable some modchips by default (i have both sunkey lite1.3a(working on 4.3) and wiikey v1(disabled on 4.3))

8. TheHomesk1llet
    OP

Apr 29, 2013
    United States
    Cyberspace
    Unless I can somehow access HBC without accessing the HBC, I can't really install or remove any titles, especially not 236 or whatever else may be the problem. I can still access the disk channel and play games from it, but I have no channels (and I deleted USB loader gx, argh) that have the option to return to HBC, but I doubt it would work anyways. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO BUY ANYTHING, especially not a new SSBB or a disk drive. My Wii isn't region free anyways, so I couldn't load it.

Most likely doesn't sound promising...but I'll give it a try. Where can I find said pink fish disk?

9. mauifrog

Jan 21, 2010
    United States
    Just load the hackmii installer with wilbrand, then exit to the HBC. Or load wiimod with wilbrand, reload that on ios236 then load priiloader 0.7 236 mod from wiimod's app loader. Unfortunately, I don't really think willbrand works from maintenance mod. You could do the same thing with a disc exploit of your choice, or bannerbomb if you where 4.2 or less. You may just have to cross your fingers and do the format from the settings menu, but I would give installing priiloader a good try first. I don't think you need to buy anything atm, also modchip is needed for pink fish disc so don't worry about that atm.

10. TheHomesk1llet
    OP

Apr 29, 2013
    United States
    Cyberspace
    I solved it by doing a format to my Wii, and restoring a previous NAND that I had. I've installed Bootmii as IOS and put all the files on a spare SD card so I don't lose it. I also installed Priiloader, so hopefully there are no more problems if it gets bricked again. I'm still interested in this pink fish disk, though, as I heard it was a disk used for diagnostics in the Nintendo headquarters or repair shops, so I don't see why a modchip is needed.

11. mauifrog

Jan 21, 2010
    United States
    Pink fish disc = wii backup disc 1.31 = syn-backup1.31
    Google it
    You can load it via neogamma on a base38 cios from a wbfs formated drive, or from disc channel via ios16 or cios. System menu may possibly block the title id from disc channel, not sure. It will not load from any other usbloader, only from disc or wbfs drive via neogamma or disc channel.
    With the disc you can backup installed title's save games and such. This allows you to move savegames form one wii to another, possibly move purchased shop tickets from one wii to another (never tested but that is what N used it for). Most importantly other that the wii settings the backup disc is the only way I know of to attempt an N format of the system settings (removing installed channels, message board corruptions, etc).

12. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Ideas factory :)
    It also works in uLoader too I've been using it in cISO format on my Fat32 32k 1st active HDD, I have ios16 but I'm not sure if uLoader can make it work without it.

13. TheHomesk1llet
    OP

Apr 29, 2013
    United States
    Cyberspace
    Sounds interesting. I'll look for it, and a drive to format to WBFS.