Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ether2802

ether2802 we have the techno...!!
    Former Staff

Mexico
    Well I only have helped like 50 persons here in México to have HBC/Gamma Launcher on their Wii, but they were going to buy a ModChip anyway, so I hurt also to the ModChip sellers [​IMG]

2. TrolleyDave

TrolleyDave Philosolosophising
    Former Staff

I don't think the OP was being preachy or trying to tell people to stop pirating. What he's trying to do is stop the Wii scene from becoming like the Amiga scene was at the end. Too many people bragging about piracy and spreading it like it's been released under the Freedom of Infromation act will hurt the Wii scene.

3. Toni Plutonij

Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
    Former Staff

Croatia
    Exactly this..
    The point is, don't go brag about your Wii chip/hack to everyone you know, don't make blogs about it, don't bring piracy matter outside of the places where it's discussed (like GBAtemp)..Piracy is becoming too easy and too spread out..

That's basically what OP wanted to say!
    I must say that I agree with him..But one thread won't change anything..And it's pretty much obvious, piracy has become "mainstream", normal, everyday thing that most of people do in one way/form or the other..

4. mcj

mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Since it's still here and not locked, I guess I can put my 2 cents in and say: Worst Thread Ever

Pirate all you want, just don't tell anyone about it. Then I guess you and any one who agrees should close up your gbatemp account.

Oh, and don't even mention an mp3 to your friend. We know most people have pirated albums on their drives. Torrents? Whats that ... never heard of them. No no no you can't dowload last nights episode of 24. You have to go to the FOX website to watch in that tiny window.

Whatever

5. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    The OP is right. Pirates depend even more on other people buying the games. If you have a friend who is willing to pay for games, let them be! Someone needs to be supporting the games you enjoy. If it's not going to be you at least let others do it.

Unless you really do not give a shit about the creators, companies. If you are pirating out of hate for Nintendo, well, there are no good criminals, you're still in the same camp as those who try before they buy.

The fact is, if all Nintendo Wii and DS owners had the skills and knowledge of a good 'temper, there would quickly be no more games as they would sell in tiny numbers. We rely on masses of people picking up the slack, as what we're doing is economic suicide (vote with your dollar, if it's not worth paying for there won't be more, etc) if you sustainably want good games.

We've already seen the big effects. The people who don't buy into flash cards are more likely to buy shovelware. My Quit Smoking Coach anyone?

6. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT
    Former Staff

United Kingdom
    The only pirate diseases I know are Peglegitis and Eyepatch Rot.

7. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Don't forget Scurvy.

8. Maktub

Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hipocrisy aesthetics. [​IMG] I know this is general hipocrisy, but have you studied that?

9. TrolleyDave

Former Staff

I think what the original OP is doing is trying to ensure the Wii scene lasts as long as possible, rather than watching it go down in flames. People should have used the PS3 scene as an example of how to run the Wii scene. Speak to members of Paradox or Anthrox to learn how a scene should be run.

10. mcj

mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    the scene will be around for a long long time. no need to worry about it going anywhere

11. TrolleyDave

Former Staff

lol We used to say the same thing about the phreaking scene until some wannabe nobody looking to feel "l33t" decided to give all the info to Roger Cook so he could get on telly and become famous. The Wii scene will only be around as long as the top boys are working on it and gving out the info they find. If they suddenly get pissed off with how widespread and mainstream it is and decide to close it off like the PS3 scene then most of the fringes here would be screwed. THAT is what the OP doesn't want to see happen.

12. kimikal27

kimikal27 GBAtemp Maniac

metroide 3

13. mcj

mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No, the OP doesn't want to see his supply of free games or ways to play them run out. That's all

14. TrolleyDave

Former Staff

And the problem with that is? He's protecting the scene, not weakening it. Maybe it's because I'm old school but I really don't see the problem with wanting to keep piracy closed, protected and away from the brain dead.

15. kimikal27

kimikal27 GBAtemp Maniac

i just can't belive this guy

Phratt STOP LOOKING FOR A SPOT LIGHT

you and your useless coments

as i sayd before: go do you diches or clean your pipes or something

16. Raziel5000

Raziel5000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As Far as the world being taken over by sofmodded wiis, there really isn't alot of people out there that are willing to risk bricking their wii over it. you should go post on the sites that are offering the Downloaded isos along with the link to this site to load the game. thats where the folks with the sea legs are!

17. mcj

mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States

That's his opinion, and I don't agree. To me the "scene" isn't all about free games. And that's why (Again) it'll be around for awhile.

Marcan, bushing, waninwhateverhisnameis will all have replacements. Sure they are good, really good. But most of these people put them on godlike pedestals. Let waninblahblahblah cry all he wants about his beta getting "leaked". As we all saw someone else picked up the slack.

It all goes underground. It moves away from "Super Awesome Wii Release Group Presents Before Everyone Else: SUPER MARIO PING PONG 15!!!!" Shit, I'm still seeing Dreamcast games getting released.

18. Hitto

Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    I already bought the good games.

I sure as hell regret even the 50 eurocents the blank media cost me for Wii music, skate it, opoona, sim city creator, lego indy jones, star wars games (all of them), and the list could go on. Really,

Ninty doesn't care about piracy now. Nobody pirates "game for little girls #627" or "game for retired homes #123" and they'll keep making money until the only good games on the wii are only the nintendo-branded ones. Wait, scratch that, the last two nintendo games released are wii music (guitar hero for old people) and animal crossing (the sims with furries). So what's ninty thinking right now?

"THEY ALREADY BOUGHT THE GOOD GAMES, LOL"

PS : information wants to be FUCKING *FREE*

19. TrolleyDave

Former Staff

And if they never publicly released the info in the first place nobody would have anything to pick up the slack from. They are pretty much the originators of the scene, if it wasn't for them this section probably wouldn't be here. If it was hacked by one of the older more established groups we probably wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

As for it going underground, that's where it should have been and stayed in the first place. I agree with you that the scene is more than about piracy, but read through the Wii section. For most of the people here piracy IS the scene. It's not about customizing your Wii and getting it to do the things you want it to do. It's about which softloader can play Rock Band or how to get the latest game going on there Wii. It's been made way too easy to pirate on the Wii and that's where most of the focus, on the temp anyway, is.

With the DC games still being released thing are you talking about the current TOSEC project or are you talking about homebrew?

20. DigitalSquirrel

DigitalSquirrel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    In response to topic: Yeah, I get you. I feel and sort of practice the same idea.. It is hipocracy, and confusing. These websites that "blab" about piracy are the biggest loudmouths about it, but without them, probably 80-90% of the people on this site would be completely lost. It is true, as I read in a previous post; if it weren't for the big boys pushing information onto us, we wouldn't even know about it. So you can't hate on loud-mouthism by its self. Personally, I think it should keep within a community, the people that hacked our systems with very little knowledge about it, just so happening to bread crumb our way to gbatemp or wiibrew, we earned our curse. It just becomes disgusting to me when you have these people blabbing it to everyone and everyones cousin when these same people can barely operate windowsXP. Its the same way with torrent noobs though, look under the comments in any torrent. "whutz i do with dis,lol, im noob"

I really don't feel like piracy is beneficial to anyone anymore, unless its a pretty old game that isn't sold in stores anymore. Those games are like christmas songs, they belong to the people.

Hopefully there will always be those people who enjoy the games for the games, and not the sport of piracy. Cause when I go out and buy a fresh copy of a new game, I feel a HELL of a lot more excited than when I pirate one. Finding an OLD N64 cartridge isn't even describable. [​IMG]

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - disease, pirate,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.