Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Splitting this off from another thread.

For those unfamiliar Doctor Who was a science fiction TV show started... long enough back that some of the episodes have been lost as nobody in the BBC seemed to predict the arrival of home video. While nominally aimed at younger audiences it pushed limits and gained fans among adults and parents alike, and earlier ones also served as a place for up and coming writers to cut their teeth (Douglas Adams, who wrote a little thing called Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, having a notable stint on there) as well as some serious hard hitters in the literary and TV writing world.
It petered out in 1989 and was brought back first as a 1996 TV film that was generally regarded as awful before making it back in earnest in 2005 where it has done the usual UK TV setup of short series (seasons if we are to use US parlance) in a somewhat (though hardly the worst example) staggered manner -- if you are used to the US style returns in September, sweeps week, break around November-December and returning in March to finish off before the summer starts routine, all in all making for 23 episodes then not that.

As part of this I guess I am seeking your opinions and experiences of the show in general, and also of the current series (and doctor, more on that in a moment for those unfamiliar). In general while I can recognise its importance and appreciate some kids having a nice intro to some fairly hard scifi concepts (the show is by no means hard sci fi but at the same time is not usually a space setting for a normal story) as a whole it has never particularly clicked for me despite some efforts to do so (fantasy and scifi very much being in my wheelhouse otherwise). Individual episodes might do things, usually those sorted by writers I otherwise like, but I have never found myself remotely invested in the concept as a whole.

The 13th Doctor was a man who became a woman. She is extremely funny. She can get extremely angry at the littlest thing. She is fiercely loyal. She has an amazing group of friends who would do anything for her as she would for them. She fights for what is right. She has numerous enemies who never get the best of her ect ect.

The first one seems immaterial; while something of a handwave for writing staff the character is an quasi immortal being that occasionally experiences death of the current body, only to regenerate with much the same memories but maybe a different personality.
Still the rest could be a reasonable basis for one of those fun character board writing exercises*, and maybe has a few nice flaws to overcome or cause problems within a story and prevent a little bout of Mary Sue which is always nice.

*there any number of techniques and approaches here, many of which somewhat overlap, but the following is one I kind of like

However for me at least there has to be an execution of all of said same really as this is not dungeons and dragons character sheet critique but a TV show, when I see nonsense like the following then I have to question things

While that was picked for the one above as a particularly good example of a low point it also seems to be born out by viewership figures and critical/user ratings which seem to be dropping rather fast
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436992/episodes?season=11&ref_=tt_eps_sn_11
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/doctor_who/s11
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-11-2018-uk-ratings-accumulator-88397.htm (though possibly nominally up on some earlier efforts http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-7-ratings-accumulator-2013-46939.htm )

That maybe all those claims of it is only the sexist arsehole component that wouldn't know good writing, acting and direction if it walked up and bit them on the arse (haven't particularly seen it as a concept in the world in general, especially not since about 1980, enough that it would overcome those things already noted but I am fine with hypotheticals) are true. Sell it to me and the world at large. Get a decent arc or two from some previous series and choice episodes/arcs from the current one** and make me care about it.

**if you are indeed something of a super fan that would have watching it as something of a ritual it can be interesting to see if you have just not been there, or it has all been dispersed enough, to notice a potential slide in quality. As such if an earlier arc is picked maybe have a rewatch too to see if it holds up or paints the current stuff in a lesser light. Despite liking to picture myself as a cynical bastard that is also capable of critiquing media (despite not having any particular ambition to create fiction or otherwise do any creative works I still routinely watch stuff like the character trees video above) I have found myself falling into traps like that before, only to rewatch earlier stuff or get some kind of shock to the system (we watched The Wire, and then had no hope of watching most police procedurals that we had otherwise enjoyed for some time before then. Every few years I might go on holiday and not bother to keep up with TV, such things usually cull a few shows.).

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok Tom you say there has been a worrying dip in viewing figures so let me please address that for you and you will learn its quite the opposite in fact.

Jodie Whittaker's debut season as everyone's favourite Time Lord Doctor Who actually proved to be a huge hit with old and new audiences alike.

The viewing figures for her debut episode as the Doctor beat her successors such as Peter Capaldi and Matt Smith and, unsurprisingly, drew in a much bigger female audience.

Over the rest of thr season, viewers returned in their millions each week to watch and praise Whittaker and her TARDIS team of Bradley Walsh, Mandip Gill and Tosin Cole whilst they travelled to an alien planet, met Rosa Parks and encountered some nasty spiders in the UK.

But some quarters – and, indeed, some media outlets – have been sniping, claiming that Doctor Who is haemorrhaging fans in the millions.

Tabloids (who couldn't possibly have any kind of agenda) have said Doctor Who is "exterminating" fans due to the show's "PC plots".

Now, I won't address the five or six people on Twitter who don't like their favourite science-fiction show changing the gender of the lead character and addressing racism and colonialism right now (they obviously have their own issues to deal with), but let's have a look at those "plunging" viewing figures.

Series 11 viewing figures

Now, it is a fact to say that series 11 has seen a drop.

Jodie's debut, 'The Woman Who Fell To Earth', attracted a consolidated total of 10.53 million on television (achieving a total of 10.95m if you include laptops, smartphones, etc).

As a side note, in an era of otherwise diminishing viewing figures, it turned out to be the biggest launch ever for a new Doctor .

However, come ep five, the catchily-titled 'The Tsuranga Conundrum', we find there's now 7.76m watching on television (consolidated). As you can see, this means that just under 3 million viewers have stopped keeping up to date with the adventures of the Gallifreyan (for the moment, at least).

But let's give this some context.

A very similar thing – if not exactly the same – happened with Christopher Eccleston's Ninth Doctor in 2005: he kicked off with 10.91 million but saw viewership drop by 4 million during his run with Billie Piper's Rose.

And it's the same story for Jodie's other predecessors: both Tennant's first and third series saw dips of around 3 million during their airings; over 3.5 million fell away for Matt Smith's 2010 episodes (his opening year in the TARDIS); and Peter Capaldi witnessed a 2.5 million drop in his freshman year.

As you can see, season dips are not new. In fact, they're overwhelmingly commonplace for Doctor Who and always expected. More like olds than news, amirite?

Now, let's compare the viewing figures from series to series.

The most successful season was in 2008 with the Tenth Doctor and Donna Noble, hitting an average of 8.05m, while the "worst" was Peter Capaldi's final run in 2017, with 5.45m.

Jodie Whittaker's Thirteenth Doctor has amassed a very impressive average of 8.55m which means last years season was the biggest since Who's return in 2005.

Chart Placings

Analysing these figures can be a little misleading (as viewing habits have changed greatly since 2005), so let's have a look at chart placings.

How does Doctor Who compare with other shows on telly on a weekly basis?

When Whittaker burst on to our screens last year in her first episode, Doctor Who topped the TV Top 10, besting Strictly, Bake Off, and much more besides. A huge feat.

Even more so given that Who has rarely hit the No.1 slot.

The last time it happened was in 2013, with the epic 50th anniversary special 'The Day of the Doctor', penned by former showrunner Steven Moffat, while David Tennant managed to be the most-watched on just three occasions during his tenure.

Jodie has continued to hover in the upper half, with the next three eps hitting number four (though two of the entries above are both Strictly) and the fifth dropping slightly to sixth place and the remaining episodes either being top 5 or top 6– resulting in the fact that Doctor Who remained in the weekly TV 10 for the whole season

This is an even rarer feat.

Only series four, starring David Tennant and Catherine Tate, managed to get five eps in a row during the same series in the Top 10. Capaldi's era didn't trouble the top, for the most part, with his most recent series averaging outside the Top 20.

Matt Smith's first season had an average placement of 12 whilst Tennant's opening batch was 13 and Eccleston's averaged 17.

So, as you can see, Jodie is hitting highs rarely achieved by the show.

And finally...
Its worth noting that not even the mghty David Attenborough's show Dynasties or The X Factor could best the viewing figures that Jodie Whittaker and her TARDIS gang got.

So, is there need for concern for fellow Whovians?

Ostensibly, no. Yes, there's been a drop but this is not a shock in any way; especially as the series 11 launch was so gargantuan. Doctor Who is in better shape with the regular TV audience than it has been in a great many years.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Nobody_Important4u

Barely real
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok Tom you say there has been a worrying dip in viewing figures so let me please address that for you and you will learn its quite the opposite in fact.

Jodie Whittaker's debut season as everyone's favourite Time Lord Doctor Who actually proved to be a huge hit with old and new audiences alike.

The viewing figures for her debut episode as the Doctor beat her successors such as Peter Capaldi and Matt Smith and, unsurprisingly, drew in a much bigger female audience.

Over the rest of thr season, viewers returned in their millions each week to watch and praise Whittaker and her TARDIS team of Bradley Walsh, Mandip Gill and Tosin Cole whilst they travelled to an alien planet, met Rosa Parks and encountered some nasty spiders in the UK.

But some quarters – and, indeed, some media outlets – have been sniping, claiming that Doctor Who is haemorrhaging fans in the millions.

Tabloids (who couldn't possibly have any kind of agenda) have said Doctor Who is "exterminating" fans due to the show's "PC plots".

Now, I won't address the five or six people on Twitter who don't like their favourite science-fiction show changing the gender of the lead character and addressing racism and colonialism right now (they obviously have their own issues to deal with), but let's have a look at those "plunging" viewing figures.

Series 11 viewing figures

Now, it is a fact to say that series 11 has seen a drop.

Jodie's debut, 'The Woman Who Fell To Earth', attracted a consolidated total of 10.53 million on television (achieving a total of 10.95m if you include laptops, smartphones, etc).

As a side note, in an era of otherwise diminishing viewing figures, it turned out to be the biggest launch ever for a new Doctor .

However, come ep five, the catchily-titled 'The Tsuranga Conundrum', we find there's now 7.76m watching on television (consolidated). As you can see, this means that just under 3 million viewers have stopped keeping up to date with the adventures of the Gallifreyan (for the moment, at least).

But let's give this some context.

A very similar thing – if not exactly the same – happened with Christopher Eccleston's Ninth Doctor in 2005: he kicked off with 10.91 million but saw viewership drop by 4 million during his run with Billie Piper's Rose.

And it's the same story for Jodie's other predecessors: both Tennant's first and third series saw dips of around 3 million during their airings; over 3.5 million fell away for Matt Smith's 2010 episodes (his opening year in the TARDIS); and Peter Capaldi witnessed a 2.5 million drop in his freshman year.

As you can see, season dips are not new. In fact, they're overwhelmingly commonplace for Doctor Who and always expected. More like olds than news, amirite?

Now, let's compare the viewing figures from series to series.

The most successful season was in 2008 with the Tenth Doctor and Donna Noble, hitting an average of 8.05m, while the "worst" was Peter Capaldi's final run in 2017, with 5.45m.

Jodie Whittaker's Thirteenth Doctor has amassed a very impressive average of 8.55m which means last years season was the biggest since Who's return in 2005.

Chart Placings

Analysing these figures can be a little misleading (as viewing habits have changed greatly since 2005), so let's have a look at chart placings.

How does Doctor Who compare with other shows on telly on a weekly basis?

When Whittaker burst on to our screens last year in her first episode, Doctor Who topped the TV Top 10, besting Strictly, Bake Off, and much more besides. A huge feat.

Even more so given that Who has rarely hit the No.1 slot.

The last time it happened was in 2013, with the epic 50th anniversary special 'The Day of the Doctor', penned by former showrunner Steven Moffat, while David Tennant managed to be the most-watched on just three occasions during his tenure.

Jodie has continued to hover in the upper half, with the next three eps hitting number four (though two of the entries above are both Strictly) and the fifth dropping slightly to sixth place and the remaining episodes either being top 5 or top 6– resulting in the fact that Doctor Who remained in the weekly TV 10 for the whole season

This is an even rarer feat.

Only series four, starring David Tennant and Catherine Tate, managed to get five eps in a row during the same series in the Top 10. Capaldi's era didn't trouble the top, for the most part, with his most recent series averaging outside the Top 20.

Matt Smith's first season had an average placement of 12 whilst Tennant's opening batch was 13 and Eccleston's averaged 17.

So, as you can see, Jodie is hitting highs rarely achieved by the show.

And finally...
Its worth noting that not even the mghty David Attenborough's show Dynasties or The X Factor could best the viewing figures that Jodie Whittaker and her TARDIS gang got.

So, is there need for concern for fellow Whovians?

Ostensibly, no. Yes, there's been a drop but this is not a shock in any way; especially as the series 11 launch was so gargantuan. Doctor Who is in better shape with the regular TV audience than it has been in a great many years.

After looking at this post ( and other some ones)
I see you have some kinda of obsession with 13th doctor.
I never watched too much of Dr Who but 13th doctor is the worst one for sure.
You have so weird taste there.
But i don't really care just remember too control youre obsession.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't really watched Doctor Who all that much for some reason, I've only watched the first few episodes of series 11 and a few episodes from like a few years before, and that's it.

If I actually want to watch some Doctor Who for once, I'll either have to get BBC iPlayer which i'll need a TV license for, or get some DVDs which is probably the better option because I can just go to CeX, pick a DVD, pay for it and go. The DVDs are quite cheap too, the entirety of Series 3 only goes for £3, compared to Blu-Ray. Like seriously, the entirety of Season 12 from 1976 on Blu-Ray is FUCKING £220.

Also, I think the 13th Doctor's just okay

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After looking at this post ( and other some ones)
I see you have some kinda of obsession with 13th doctor.
I never watched too much of Dr Who but 13th doctor is the worst one for sure.
You have so weird taste there.
But i don't really care just remember too control youre obsession.
Are you honestly saying she is worse than Paul McGann or Christopher Eccleston? Lol and the viewing figures would also disagree with your comment that she is the worst quite the opposite infact

Nobody_Important4u

Barely real
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Are you honestly saying she is worse than Paul McGann?? Lol and the viewing figures would also disagree with your comment that she is the worst quite the opposite infact

Yes i say that Paul McGann is better than her! And i don't care about views the most important part is community response! And every person that i met online and offline says that she is either the worst one or somewhere in top 3 of the worst ones.
And again i see that you have some kind of obsession with her.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes i say that Paul McGann is better than her! And i don't care about views the most important part is community response! And every person that i met online and offline says that she is either the worst one or somewhere in top 3 of the worst ones.
And again i see that you have some kind of obsession with her.
Obsession lol thats hilarious dude at one point or another my avatar has been pretty much every Doctor. I have posted in threads and on my status updates quotes ect from pretty much every Doctor. I have posted more about Missy than anyone else but hey lets not let the facts get in the way for the fact you seem to have an obsession with my non existent obsession. :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the problem with the 9th doctor (Christopher Eccleston) I thought he was great even though he only stayed in for one season, I agree that there wasn't much to that series either but he was fine as the doctor if not better than the 7th by a long shot. Also wasn't the doctor suppose to die after the 12th regeneration? I could of sworn it was say times and times again that the doctor would die if he were to regen a 13th time. I can say after the asylum of the daleks I was finished with the series because at that point it became stale and a bore I had more fun watching the bad 6th doctor episodes than I did with most of 12.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes he has 12 regenerations. The first Doctor was born not regenerated which means there would be 12 regenerated Doctors and 1 naturally born. So 13 doctors in total. But then I hear you ask what about the War Doctor to which I would reply nicely remembered. Now this is where things may get a tad confusing there has infact been technically 14 doctors. 13 numbered ones and then the war doctor who decided he should not be numbered due to the fact he killed a number of people during the time war. War Doctor disowned the title of "Doctor", and after the war's end is viewed with disdain by his subsequent incarnations,

So now you are gonna say doesn't that fuck up everything you previously said about the regenerations well no as the Doctor was granted 12 additional regenerations by the time lords as seen in the episode Time of the Doctor in 2013

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...