thinking of getting a ps2 to mod

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by wolffangalchemist, Apr 1, 2011.

Apr 1, 2011
  1. wolffangalchemist
    OP

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    my friend just gave me substance cause he had a second copy, but it plays like shit on my computer in
    PCSX2, and was thinking about getting a ps2 and modding it by swap trick but i don't have agent under fire.
    i'm thinking maybe i can use substance by replacing the skate board mini game .elf file with the uncompressed ulaunchelf file.
    i did that to the iso i ripped from the game and it boots it in the emu, i know it's dvd9 so i have to use dvd+r dl disc but should i use toxic dual layer patcher on the .iso before i burn it and try?
    has anyone tried this with MGS2 substance before successfully? [​IMG]

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Hmm, if you are lucky you can replace all files that are supposed to be on the 2nd layer with dummy files and burn the disc as DVD5. I think the most important is that the replaced .elf file has the exact same offset on the disc as the original one. Do you have any means to check if the file is on the 2nd layer? What's the problem with games that require this toxic DL patch? Do they crash when the 2nd layer is accesed or do they just not boot at all?

3. wolffangalchemist
    OP

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    i think the second layer is maybe the ending movie not sure though, don't really know how to check what's on the diffrent layers but will look into it.
    from the read me i got in the toxic dl patcher download
    it also changes the layer break to 50/50 disc space i noticed, only problem with that is it might cause problems swapping disc with the original.
    i can try to make the backup dvd5 by dumming up movie files but i have a good bit of DVD+R DL disc lying about for my 360 i can spare.
    Edit:
    figured out how to look at the layers with apache
    the SKATE.ELF is on layer 1 in a folder called SKATE i know this having already replaced it, while layer 2 contains a folder called MGS2 containing STAGE.DAT, CODEC.DAT, FACE.DAT, DEMO.DAT MOVIE.DAT, and VOX.DAT