Thinking of "building" a gaming pc...

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Boy12, May 21, 2014.

1. Boy12
    OP

Boy12 NOT a new member!

Mar 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Purmerend
    Hi guy's!
    So, recently i started thinking about building my own gaming pc, and a thought occured to me.
    Now, in Holland we have a store called "Noppes" where you can basiclly can bring in all kinds of crap, and they have loads of desktop pc towers standing there running Windows XP for about 20-30 Euros, so that's really cheap. Now, these are of course very out of date for gaming, so my thought was: if i bought this PC, would i be able to upgrade the CPU, Graphics card, HDD, and the OS?
    Or would they have been incompactible due to age?
    Also, if it's possible to upgrade the CPU, will i have to look for a different mobo also?
    Thank's in advance!

2. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    i wouldnt bother .. the mobo will be o-o-d for any new cpu and memory , you basically buying a case with some bits in ... will be god awful slow...

3. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Generally they will be fine for games that are older than 10 years old, but in order to play modern games you'd have to upgrade just about every part. In the long run, it's not worth it.

Rule of thumb when building computers - you get what you pay for (there's also diminishing returns, but that's only really at the €1000+ point).

Boy12 likes this.
  4. Boy12
    OP

Boy12 NOT a new member!

Mar 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Purmerend
    Thanks for replying!

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I am not sure what 20-30 Euros will get you, around here it would get you very little (it might get you a machine but I would have next to not use for it unless it came with a serial/parallel port -- it would not even make a good NAS, torrent machine or firewall) and it is not like the Netherlands lacks on the tech front. However if I am reading this right then Noppes is some kind of charity/communal/recycling/hackerspace/trade arrangement and I have got some pretty good deals out of places like that before.

With XP being dead though I have been replacing a few machines. Several of these have been modestly prices come with DDR3 RAM, middling to good core2 (LGA775) processors (even quad) and a PCIe slot on the motherboard. Future proof might be a stretch but that could be enough to do some serious damage to a lot of games releases until late last year if you stuck a half decent graphics card (and possibly also a power supply) in there.