Gaming Thermal Paste... HELP

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I begin: CPU is a Core 2 Quad, the original ones, like, the first iteration of the Q6600.

Anyway, when I first got this computer, temps idled in the mid 20's and low 30's. Checked a month ago, was around 57c(!) idle.

Noting high temps, I took a can of compressed air and cleaned everything out. Dropped by 5c, but was still high.

I ordered some thermal paste (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007). Today, I applied it. Noticed temps were higher. Hmm. Took it off, realised I applied way too much (2 rice grains worth). Cleaned it all off using 70% alcohol and cotton swabs. Reapplied it again, spread it carefully using x-acto knife, and this time it was VERY THIN. After turning on my pc, temps were 48c. Better, but still not close. What am I doing wrong?

Speedfan also reports a lot of other temps in the mid 20's and low 30's, so I doubt its my case.

Pictures:

CPU clean right before putting on HS+F

1000356hy4.jpg

HS cleaned before applying new paste... what are those scratches?

1000359mc5.jpg

Thin layer applied. 3/4th of a grain of paste.

1000360hy7.jpg

Any help appreciated. Also I can't afford a new heatsink. though I will start saving for one. I need a medium sized heatsink that would do well to accommodate this Core 2 Quad.

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
1. those scratches mean nothing
2. Arctic Silver 5 has a cure time
3. read the description about arctic silver 5 on newegg to find out more about cure time

edit: go to the Arctic Cooling Silver website and read it up, newegg doesn't mention the cure time.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
It could be that your fan isnt working as efficiently as it first was. It might not be working as efficiently as it first did due to the mechanism ageing or compacted dirt. Ive seen PC fans have compacted dust and grime gather in their mechanism, and I mean so compacted no amount of air spray can dislodge it, you have to physically break it apart with a needle to clean it off.

It could also be that you have a lot more things running in the background then you did before, putting a greater strain on your PC even when its idle, thus raising its temperature.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Sephi. I read about that so I'll wait a few days.

The fan was one of my suspects. Though when I say idle temps I mean under 1% cpu utilization.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting motherboard layout/case setup.
I sense this is a combination of factors rather than any one point. Also 48 degrees is a bit high but getting towards what I would call acceptable.
I assume you have not tried overclocking; some of the things they tell you to do will add temperature (things like disabling speedstep or whatever it currently goes by) but work for performance.

Back on topic:
Those scratches are what the paste is there to prevent problems with, not to mention hard silicon/silver does not do so well against unworked copper. Ignore them.

Thermal paste (especially silver based) takes a day or two (possibly more) for the paste to achieve the desired effect. It is not quite a cure time but if you want to think of it as that then so be it.

I am hesitant to say without being there but that looks like it could still be too much paste (I can see ridges), a piece of card works better than a Stanley knife/similar in my experience. Those little lumps do not look all that good either (there should ideally not be any).
You should be seeing something like:
http://www.frozencpu.com/resource/r8/How_t...rmal_Paste.html

You also appear to have a wire that might get in the way of a case fan, that can add 5 degrees easily. (I am going on http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...=c00783637#N840 and what I can see up there).

I do not recognise the cooler but those sorts of screws with a polyweave board used as a mechanical joining point (actually polyweave as a mechanical join is not something I am overly enamoured with) are not that great an idea. Basically check they are doing their job.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The paste takes some time to set and what not, but I agree with FAST, Might wanna smooth out the paste so its not so built up in areas

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You should need only a single drop of Artic Silver. You need to apply the thermal paste on to the actual CPU not on to the heatsink. Spreading it over the heatsink area makes it even worse because not all of the heatsink will be in contact with the CPU. This leaves thermal paste that will dry up and then corrode onto the actual CPU and the circuit around that area. You should use something that will cover the whole area to spread it i.e. something like a gift card, old credit card, even the edge of stiff paper.

If you're worried about the scratches, you could take a very fine grain sandpaper and lap it a couple of times. You need to do this in long strokes in a single direction, rotating the heatsink between strokes (not circular motions).

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would also check any other fans you may have in the case or PSU (power supply) and graphics card if it also has a fan ...

That they all are clear so they are not slowing the flow of air through the machine and any other vents if you can while the machine is off turn the blades on each fan with your finger or carefully with something none metallic make sure they turn without effort or difficulty
smile.gif

You can also make sure where you situate your case that it has free airflow around it as much as possible not pushed too close to a wall for example or other furniture which could obscure any vents/fans!

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay; I'll wait a few days and see how temperatures change. I'll reapply if nothing works.

I'm aware of the wire issue, in fact I always move them as far from the case fans and CPU fan as possible into blank space. I don't think wires are affecting it that much since the CPU is the only component which had a significant temperature rise over the last 2 years or whatever time has passed.

Cooler is a crappy Cooler Master. Bleh. Can't afford a new one at the moment so I'm just doing a remedy until I can afford a nicer one.

I know the paste is there to remedy the scratches, but I've never taken off the HS before today so I dunno how they got there.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01070924

I got it on sale when the CPU cost 75% of the computer. Since I have an xbox to play games all I really do is do some video encoding which I why I'm so concerned about temps.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Linkiboy said:
all I really do is do some video encoding which I why I'm so concerned about temps.

From experience Video encoding is VERY PROCESSOR INTENSIVE so will raise the temperatures quite a lot are you trying to use the machine at the same time as encoding... like virus scanning in the background etc!?

I usually do mine overnight when I sleep and just turn the screen/monitor off so I'm not doing anything else with it .......

More ram helps with video encoding too ...as it takes a little pressure off the processor when processing the video there will be less swapping between virtual (page file) so the hd does not have to work as hard
smile.gif

I also disable the screen saver so it does not kick in during the encode you won't need a screen saver if your encoding overnight as the screen can be turned off
smile.gif

Additional ...Don't change the priority of the application your using to anything other than what it is default ie .. NORMAL it will not encode any better than set at NORMAL priority, ..higher settings will just make the processor work harder and heat up faster!

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I'm aware... temps go catastrophic under 100% utilization... thats why I'm posting this. I'm not software retarded, just I don't have much experience with the details of the hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs