The Wrexham story

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I over heard a conversation where this one guy was saying how Americans billionaires are wrecking English football. He goes its even effecting the bottom of the English football pyramid. which im sure was jabs at Wrexham. but the part with confused me the most is he had a Chelsea top on. Which is weird since Russian oligarch started this all with buying Chelsea. Yes Americans billionaires are more about the money then the football. Yes American billionaire brought Chelsea and wrecked it to comic level. But i couldn't connect how Americans billionaire part with Wrexham.

Do you think the Wrexham story is good or bad for football?

For me is/if the Hollywood stars get bored and move on, im sure it will effect the fans of Wrexham. i mean the real fans, not the TV show subscription fans.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Agree with the above, I think they've shown they're genuinely invested into making the club a success even on a personal level. Yeah they have much more likeability than the usual billionaires but they're using it to great effect so far. I wonder if they'll get a Deadpool strip next year!!!!

The big question is though... how long will they be that fully invested... Waves of good feeling don't last forever and will they be able to leave them in a far better position and stable when they do leave? A slighty similar story is Gretna!!

Time will tell obviously but so far, I think they've been a breath of fresh air. Certainly for Wrexham so far at least!

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Agree with the above, I think they've shown they're genuinely invested into making the club a success even on a personal level. Yeah they have much more likeability than the usual billionaires but they're using it to great effect so far. I wonder if they'll get a Deadpool strip next year!!!!

The big question is though... how long will they be that fully invested... Waves of good feeling don't last forever and will they be able to leave them in a far better position and stable when they do leave? A slighty similar story is Gretna!!

Time will tell obviously but so far, I think they've been a breath of fresh air. Certainly for Wrexham so far at least!
From a business point of view I think Wrexham are in very safe hands. Ryan Reynolds has bought numerous small businesses and then made them a huge success.

For instance Mint Mobile who he just recently sold to t-mobile for 135 million dollars.

And Aviation Gin which when he bought the company were near bankruptcy and he turned them around and sold them for 10 million.

He knows what he is doing.

As for Rob I know absolutely nothing about him lol hadn't even heard of him until the Wrexham deal.
Post automatically merged:

Brooks Mileson made Gretna and also destroyed Gretna.

Without his money they obviously would never have got where they did. The problem was they grew too big too quick. There was no long term vision. The club was still being run like a lower league team.

Nobody at Gretna including Brooks thought what happens if Brooks is no longer there.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: Lostbhoy and Flame

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
its going to be a fun ride tho for Wrexham for sure. even if they make it to the championship its a win imo. anything else is just a plus.

speaking of rides, here is the open-top bus parade

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
i mean does Wrexham have the potential to have more followers then any MLS team? even then all of MLS combined?

The reason i called the thread "the Wrexham story" is because its a story. A story told by Hollywood storytellers. back to MLS, this story cant be told in the MLS.

but what i wonder is how they going o make the jump to league 2? will it still be a walk in the park?

Last edited by Flame,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Brooks Mileson made Gretna and also destroyed Gretna.

Without his money they obviously would never have got where they did. The problem was they grew too big too quick. There was no long term vision. The club was still being run like a lower league team.

Nobody at Gretna including Brooks thought what happens if Brooks is no longer there.
I did say slightly!! You are bang on with what you said but I meant more the romance of the small club from nowhere to Scottish Cup winners.... Had Hollywood all over it before the collapse but I do forsee a much happier ending here.

Out if interest, what are the MLS average attendances?

but what i wonder is how they going o make the jump to league 2? will it still be a walk in the park?
Again the Ryan Reynolds effect comes into play there.... Wanna play for Wrexham and join the groovy train lol... I don't think they'll have bother attracting the type of player they need to move on.

This guy deserves a raise tho....
0_Wrexham.jpg

Last edited by Lostbhoy,
Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As of the 2022 MLS regular season, average attendance is 21,033 per match.

The league drew 10 million spectators overall during the season, a new record.

MLS's all-time average attendance record was 22,106, set in 2017.

A crowd of 73,019 spectators watched the inaugural MLS match for Charlotte FC on March 5, 2022, setting a new league record for standalone attendance. Atlanta United FC has the highest average attendance of any MLS team, at 47,116, and is followed by Charlotte FC and Seattle Sounders FC.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those figures eclipse oor wee back wa-ater anyway!!

What about stadium plans at Wrexham?? Any plans at all??

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Have they said that? Imo that's a better way to play it rather than build a stadium and then have the dream fall away with a big ground to upkeep!

i mean just look at the spurs stadium. it will cost a few bob. even if its like to go up to something like 30K to 45K range from the current 10K. i think still Hollywood stars would need bank invest.

just read about the Luton Town stadium problems:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-65249178

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well as a sad state as that is, they have the funding to do it but I agree that rebuilding one stand in 3 months is probably harder than just getting on with the new stadium at the plot they've had permission for since 2019!

Is a ground share in that scenario possible as a worst case scenario while the new stadiums being built... it reminds me of Falkirk who were denied promotion to the SPL at the time (2003???) as they weren't allowed to ground share with Airdrie while their new stadium was BEING built due to not enough votes by the other members which I still think was atrocious! Maybe the prospect of actually going into Airdrie scared them off :rofl2:

Reactions: AmandaRose

Latest photos

Group events

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: