Votes: 52 80.0%

• Total voters

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think it's been too long for the "Game Boy" line to have the same sales power that it once did. To many, reusing it might seem like a "step back", and considering how mutlimedia functions are becoming increasingly important for gaming devices, they probably aren't going to go use a title that seems to denote gaming as its only function.

It's sad, sure, but that's how marketing goes.
That's exactly what I'm thinking now, but I still voted on 'Yes'.... Didn't read your post before that, but you're right. The name is just too old/dated, doesn't have enough selling power left in it.

Lube_Skyballer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
If a new Gameboy would ever be released let it be a handheld that plays every Gameboy game out-of-the-box.
And just a D-pad, A-B and L/R buttons. With a LED screen. That's the essence of a Gameboy.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No.

But I suppose Nintendo could resurrect the Game Boy name in some form if they were to ever ditch the DS featutes or try releasing a seperate handheld. Game Boy Phone perhaps.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If a new Gameboy would ever be released let it be a handheld that plays every Gameboy game out-of-the-box.
And just a D-pad, A-B and L/R buttons. With a LED screen. That's the essence of a Gameboy.
I can see this happen via a smaller company like Dingoo or so. Wouldn't take long before Nintendo takes it down though. But I remember seeing a very well made (with LED backlighting IIRC !) rip-off GBA on here, about 50 euros and it does exactly what you said :)

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's been too long for the "Game Boy" line to have the same sales power that it once did. To many, reusing it might seem like a "step back", and considering how mutlimedia functions are becoming increasingly important for gaming devices, they probably aren't going to go use a title that seems to denote gaming as its only function.

That's exactly what I'm thinking now, but I still voted on 'Yes'.... Didn't read your post before that, but you're right. The name is just too old/dated, doesn't have enough selling power left in it.
I thought that also, but "Playstation" still seems to work for Sony after all these years. Bringing back the Game Boy franchise may be good for Nintendo one day, but timing would have to be spot on.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I thought that also, but "Playstation" still seems to work for Sony after all these years. Bringing back the Game Boy franchise may be good for Nintendo one day, but timing would have to be spot on.

You must remember, though, that Sony hasn't ever stopped using the Playstation brand. Plus, Playstation doesn't just denote gaming ("Play" can correlate with a lot more things than just "Game"), so it has that advantage as well.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way I see it, the gameboy line is the father of the DS line, and after the 3DS I expect either a new DS or a completely new line (I'm leaning towards the latter). I don't see the gameboy coming back, and it shouldn't, it's already passed on the baton.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country

Playstation has worked for Sony all these years, but I don't think bringing GameBoy back will help Nintendo.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You must remember, though, that Sony hasn't ever stopped using the Playstation brand. Plus, Playstation doesn't just denote gaming ("Play" can correlate with a lot more things than just "Game"), so it has that advantage as well.
But I want my Game Boy "Elite"! :D

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Another Game Boy would never happen (unless maybe it was just a "special edition" re-release/repackaging of the GBA GBC). The DS/3DS IS the new gameboy.

Although I gotta say, I think "Gameboy DS" or "Gameboy 3DS is a much more badass name. :-p

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont want a new game boy...
I want a Game Girl in wich, instead of inserting cartridges you can insert your...
nothing... it doens't have the slot to insert anything, just like the psp go... totally useless :lol:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Meh, it's just a name. Nintendo's next handheld will be Nintendo's next handheld whether it's called Game Boy, DS or "Nigel 7".
lol...

though on a SOMEWHAT related note, I think "Nintendo 6" would be a much more awesome name for the Wii-U
Wouldn't work for northern countries since six is pronounced sex and means the same thing as sex in English.
Nintendo Sex...
wouldn't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-