Gaming The Mother/Earthbound Series.

DDRPenguin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wanted to open a topic about Mother/Earthbound, because its bugging the heck outta me.

Ok so assuming that everyone knows how we have Earthbound/Mother 2, and how Japan has Mother 1, 2, and 3, I am going to cut the chase. I didn't know about Earthbound when it came out, and I found out about the game, when Super Smash Bros. 64 came out with Ness as a character. Ness appears in Melee later...that's nice. Every other Nintendo character are having new games on the GCN, GBA, and nothing for Ness. The Mother 3 comes out, and NOA ditches us and doesn't release it, so we are missing out on Lucas' Story (Officially speaking, I know we can hack our way to it LOL). That kinda makes me mad, but that's not the reason I am mad about the series.

What I am mad about, is how later in SSBB, Lucas and Ness are introduced, and then when the creator is asked about a Mother 4, he just says, there's not going to be a Mother 4. I was like "WHAT?!". It makes me mad, WHY on EARTH do you promote a series in Smash Brothers Brawl, and then crush it by saying "There's not going to be a Mother 4!". That's like waxing and polishing a Ship that's already sunk. Come on Itoi, what are you thinking, you know you have a fanbase, why don't you continue it.

I think Itoi needs to give the license to someone who can.

I want to know your thoughts of this series and its end.

yikkyon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the problem is that Itoi is the one that did EVERYTHING.
He even acted out the dialogue!
It's Nintendo of America that's being a bitch!
When NOA released the sequel the sales sucked (even the ad says "This game SUCKS")
They also forget that 78% (rough estimate) of Americans are gullible as f*ck...
They don't want to risk mother 3...

And Itoi probably needed a break...
And the game has freaky programing so it's pretty hard to make a game like that...
Don't worry there's hope
gbasp.gif

As well as
hate2.gif

Reactions: Deleted User

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because the game isn't released in US doesn't mean the Lucas story is ditched. The series is hugely popular in Japan, and (according to Earthbound sales) not very popular in the US. From a business standpoint, it would be a waste of money to bring the game stateside just to appease the small group of people who enjoy the game (self included). It's better for Nintendo, and I think better for us, to look the other way and let the fans translate the game into English. No cost for them, and we still get to play the game.

DDRPenguin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bridgy84 said:
Well i mean you can play Earthbound on the Snes and there is a full translation for Mother 3.

Lets pretend that I am just an average person looking for some earthbound to play, OFFICIALLY, and not fan-translated or roms.

When you think about it...if you ever want to see where Ness at least comes from, you are going to have to hunt down Earthbound for the SNES, and have an SNES system, that's all we have here in america. Don't get me wrong, I hate NOA as much as you guys do, I couldn't believe they passed up on the opportunity to release Mother 1 and 2 on the GBA, that would have been a perfect port for Ness fans or people interested in Ness after playing Smash Bros.

yikkyon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry Mother fans...
They did this with Fire Emblem as well...
Give us wet dreams about seeing Roy and then they don't have the ballz to release the game...
Normal gamers who don't have a clue will always wonder around till they find out...
I will never understand Nintendo...

LostNite

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, it was not really a "series" to begin with. It was about making the game(s) that Itoi had in mind(Video game designing isn't even his main profession). What you said about Itoi giving the license to someone else... that would be taking the heart and soul out of what made the existing games so enjoyable.

Bridgy84

Yub Nub
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well i mean i see your point then i know it would be a pain in the ass to do things legit. I don't hate NOA though, I can't say i agree with how they do all that they do but i guess there are to many childhood memories thanks to them to hate!!

DDRPenguin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LostNite said:
Well, it was not really a "series" to begin with. It was about making the game(s) that Itoi had in mind(Video game designing isn't even his main profession). What you said about Itoi giving the license to someone else... that would be taking the heart and soul out of what made the existing games so enjoyable.

I understand your point by saying that, but please...if the creator is going to end it and say "There will be no Mother 4" then that's it, Lucas' story is last and that's it, so for it to continue, at the least, let someone else try it for to continue...yeah I know it would take the heart and soul out of it, but I feel that's what happening already, when there's no mother 4 coming out.

and I don't understand by you saying its not a series to begin with. He clearly labeled them Mother, then Mother 2, and then Mother 3, isn't that a "Series", or what am I missing?

LostNite

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I was trying to get across was that although there was Mother 1, 2, and 3, that does not mean that there must be a 4th game.
Also, there does not need to be anyone continuing the franchise. People can just make new games inspired by the franchise and spread the word that their game is similar to the Mother games. We should not sacrifice quality for quantity.

Walo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Only Itoi can continue the Mother series. Don't think of the Mother franchise as an average videogame, which you play just for the sake of it and then play the next version. The Mother games are more of an experience in the same way where you read an inspiring book or see a great movie.
And the inclusion in SMBB is not to advertise but to please the fans of the mother franchise.

DDRPenguin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Walo said:
Only Itoi can continue the Mother series. Don't think of the Mother franchise as an average videogame, which you play just for the sake of it and then play the next version. The Mother games are more of an experience in the same way where you read an inspiring book or see a great movie.
And the inclusion in SMBB is not to advertise but to please the fans of the mother franchise.

I know SSBB is to please the mother fans, but think of those who are curious about Lucas, and don't know where he comes from. They will be shocked to know that Lucas is from a series that is over (While the rest of the SSBB roster is continuing on with their games), and that he comes from Mother 3 which is unreleased.

But I understand where you guys are coming from, I don't know what I was thinking to have Itoi replaced.

And Walo, try to keep everything in one post by using the EDIT feature, the mods don't like double posts.

DDRPenguin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jonny suave said:
http://starmen.net/ebvc/
Found this great read about some of the recent history of Earthbound, why it should have been / never was released on VC, and maybe some insight as to why Mother 3 never came stateside.

That has got to be the most depressing article I've read. Up to this day, I have believed in the ESRB rating of Earthbound, and I cannot believe it was a mistake. I mean I have known about the disappointments of Mother...but not this one...OMG...I can't take it anymore.

QUOTE(jph @ Feb 22 2009, 06:04 AM) your beef with not being a mother 4..the guys old, he's worked on the mother series for over 20 years - he's done, give him a break

I guess you're right..20 years is a long time. But thanks for posting that video...it was because of that video, that I posted this thread.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earthbound will not be released anytime soon on Virtual Console due to copyright issues with the music.

Not sure about the rest of them, my guess would be it's probably not worth the gamble to press the carts. But if they can figure out the music issues with Mother 2, I don't know why they couldn't localize the entire series (fresh translation!) and do it up on VC.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
jesterscourt said:
Earthbound will not be released anytime soon on Virtual Console due to copyright issues with the music.
Actually, it won't be coming at all anytime in the future. Never
frown.gif

QUOTENot sure about the rest of them, my guess would be it's probably not worth the gamble to press the carts. But if they can figure out the music issues with Mother 2, I don't know why they couldn't localize the entire series (fresh translation!) and do it up on VC.
Yeah, if you really want the real thing just grab the EarthBound cart from eBay or something.
Mother 1,2,3 are not expensive - however earthbound copies are getting up there

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: