The language you speak.

What is the main language that you speak at home with parents, family, etc.?

• Chinese (Canto and/or Mando and/or other)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • English

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • French

• Hacker

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Italian

• Japanese

• Klingon

• Martian

• Punjabi

• Russian

• Spanish

• Other (please post what!)

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
I speak Slovene, but as it is pretty useless outside of the national borders (except possibly for the countries of former Yugoslavia, theirs [languages] are quite similar, so I understand them as well), I also speak English, German (haven't spoken for years, so I'm probably very 'rusty') and I'm learning Spanish and Russian at school. I also learn Japanese on my own and plan to learn Chinese in college.

I love languages.
happy.gif

seracrux

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I speak:
Fookien @ home with parents, relatives, and generally all elder chinese people, and call them uncle

English = main language
Filipino = when I need to speak to people who are not really fluent in English, this is mostly limited to the help.

Mandarin = every chance I get, I am desperate for practice and to expand my vocabulary

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How can someone forget about German ... i thaught we did enough things in the past to be remembered everywhere and all the time XD

nah just a joke.

But still ... i learned in school that there was some time ago a voting of what language should become the world language and German was 2nd after English with 1 vote more for english ... so if that one guy whould have voted for german most ppl on the world would speak german and not english ... how can you forget a language that barely beat english
tongue.gif

(i believe english only won because its easy, and german was only that good cuz with all those many many many and weird words you can express yourself way better than in many other languages)

Oh i forgot ... I speak German only cuz there is noone i know who is able to speak more english than "hello"
sleep.gif
V (and those guys had english for at least 5 years in school
sleep.gif
V)

P.S. what the fuck is Hacker ? is it that stupid lil kids language like "iMa zo mega L33t uber fu3ker" ?

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But still ... i learned in school that there was some time ago a voting of what language should become the world language and German was 2nd after English with 1 vote more for english ... so if that one guy whould have voted for german most ppl on the world would speak german and not english ... how can you forget a language that barely beat english
tongue.gif
I recently heard the same story at school...didn't find anything about it on the internet so far, though
unsure.gif

We're not going to the same school, are we?
laugh.gif

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I speak english, but the way things are going round here I'm going to have to learn some Polish before it takes over completely
It's not that bad
tongue.gif

What area do you live in? Stupid me for not looking at your profile. I've never been to Southampton though so I don't know how bad it is, but here it's not really a problem.

- Sam

Bryce

Trophies
XP
Country
How can someone forget about German ... i thaught we did enough things in the past to be remembered everywhere and all the time XD

nah just a joke.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing! I'm currently learning German in Germany. I come from California, so I'm only fluent in English, but hopefully by the end of this year my German will be very good.

Wo wohnst du in Deutschland? Jetzt wohne ich in Tübingen, Baden-Wurttemberg. Weisst du Tübingen? Die ist eine Stude sud von Stuttgart. Tübingen ist ein gross Universität Stadt mit viele leute
smile.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Croatian, English, German, Italian (slightly rusty, though).

And I understand Slovenian perfectly, but I can't really speak it
unsure.gif
. I just can't hammer together a sentence. Lack of practice/confidence, I guess.

And as MaHe said, Croatian, Serbian and Bosnian are 90% the same language, so I can be said to "know" those two as well. (What's to know?
laugh.gif
)

I'd like to learn enough French and Spanish well enough to understand them, not neccessairly speak them (realistic goals, please), and I'd like to learn Polish. Polish is interesting.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tongue.gif

I recently heard the same story at school...didn't find anything about it on the internet so far, though
unsure.gif

laugh.gif

Well, according to Wikipedia, it's just a legend...

An urban legend, sometimes called the Mühlenberg legend after Frederick Muhlenberg, states that English only narrowly defeated German as the U.S. official language. In reality, the proposal being referenced was only to have government documents translated into German as a secondary language. The United States has no statutory official language; English has been used as a de facto basis, owing to its status as the country's predominant language.

The language of statutes and paperwork could change if English were no longer the majority language. However, it would be difficult to ensure accuracy when making authoritative translations of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

frown.gif

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
tongue.gif

unsure.gif

laugh.gif

Well, according to Wikipedia, it's just a legend...

QUOTEAn urban legend, sometimes called the Mühlenberg legend after Frederick Muhlenberg, states that English only narrowly defeated German as the U.S. official language. In reality, the proposal being referenced was only to have government documents translated into German as a secondary language. The United States has no statutory official language; English has been used as a de facto basis, owing to its status as the country's predominant language.

The language of statutes and paperwork could change if English were no longer the majority language. However, it would be difficult to ensure accuracy when making authoritative translations of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

frown.gif
:wtf: My teacher used to say the exact same thing about Dutch...curious.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Farsi and English.
I learned English by playing games too (early DOS and Commodore 64).

REALLY want to learn Japanese, but was so unsuccessful.

D

Deleted User

I speak English with my parents. They speak Cantonese/English with me.

I can understand Cantonese pretty well, but I'm not so great at speaking it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am fairly well versed in English, French and Latin although the latter is all but useless for day to day stuff and should it come to technical terms in French it is assume fetal position time (yeah I know a good chunk is a direct transplant from English).

I reckon I could get by in Cantonese, Russian and Japanese as well although I prefer to read (substitute simplified Chinese up there) those three (I decided to learn them mainly for the internet/games/technology).

Oh and ancient Greek and Old Norse I could probably resurrect with a bit of work (I have a thing for dead languages it seems).

All I will say is school language courses are not worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.