The Homebrew Channel / Future updates

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by sindrik, Dec 29, 2015.

1. sindrik
    OP

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Do you think the original developers will ever make an update to The Homebrew Channel? Up to this point in time, i think a little update with libwupc support would be great, since that would make the Wii U Pro Controller completely usable from the console's start (if you boot straight to the HBC with Priiloader) so you can select compatible homebrew right away.

Another bug that comes to mind could be 16:9 fix for Wii U's vWii. O rmaybe the source someday in 2017? 2026?

What else would you improve or fix on the HBC, in the improbable possibility that another update gets made?

Last edited by sindrik, Feb 16, 2016

2. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    -Add better USB Support
    -ISO or ROM Loading
    -A Better Updater
    -Wii U Controller Support
    -Possibly a Homebrew Downloader Built in
    -Remote Desktop Built in
    -ROM Dumping Built in
    -And a Few Other Things.

It would be Nice if they Would Continue the Project, but to my Knowledge the Twiizers Team is now Known as Fail0verflow, and there currently working a New Wii U kernel Exploit.

So the Project has kinda been abandoned!

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik, Jan 25, 2016
    Pacheko17 and sindrik like this.
  3. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    libwupc is fully supported in almost every major homebrew. The amount of effort required to update the HBC itself to support it is massive compared to the number people who would ever even have a use for it. With native Wii U homebrew slowly growing and now on the verge of a fairly major breakthrough, the idea of using a Wii U controller on the vWii side of the Wii U is fairly outdated, as is Wii homebrew itself. Besides, the 16:9 problem is fixed already by way of a forwarder. They aren't going to build things into the HBC when homebrew can do most conceivable tasks anyway.

The Wii is nine years old. Developers have better things to do than update a now 7 year old HBC.

4. sindrik
    OP

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    That's a workaround, not a fix. Launching it this way sometimes hangs the console, leaving no option but to pull the energy plug.

You sound somehow angry. Don't feel bad or insulted, but that's a bit of a lame argument. Not updating things because of X years have passed makes no sense. If it were that way, mGBA would have never been born as the best full speed GBA emulator (that everyone and their mother said wasn't possible), Snes9x GX wasn't being updated by other new talented programmers, or homebrew developers would not create homebrew for older consoles (Atari 2600, Spectrum, etc.). It's up to developers interest, not an obligation or request. If they don't feel like it because they want new challenges, that's pretty respectable. But only because the software is 7, o whatever years old?? What would ePSXe, ZSNES, or the Genesis Plus developers say about something as trivial as that! :D

ISO dumping/loading sounds nice, though given the existing fully featured loaders (as Nintendont and CFG Loader, maybe it would be redundant and add too much to the original code.

Last edited by sindrik, Jan 26, 2016
    Dr.Hacknik likes this.
  5. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I just want USB Hid support for using Official Gamecube Controller Adapter from Nintendo. That way I can use the Gamecube controller to browse the menu.

Last edited by DarthDub, Jan 26, 2016
  6. SockNaste

SockNaste My Little Pony Fetish

Banned
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    2 High To Remember
    Well while I agree the homebrew channel has got some bugs it is still the best it can be. Think about all the possibilities...
    Emulation, Backups, Cheats, NAND Modifications, Custom Themes, WAD Installing, Media Players, and Running Homebrew.
    What else do we need? I think we covered the basics of all hacking. What I listed it basically what all hacks on consoles do...
    I am not mad. I am just saying this might be the reason they stopped developing, simply because it has everything it needs.

7. sindrik
    OP

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Sound cool too, didn't thought about that.
    It really is a fine piece of software. Even if it was updated only to iron the existing bugs on vWii, that would be a huge plus. I think the source code could be released sometime in the future on Github. Who knows. We still thank the team Twiizers for a job well done.

SockNaste likes this.
  8. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I seem angry? i guess you didn't really understand my point. To cite facts, the team behind the HBC hasn't done anything since the release of the Wii U to support it, and judging by fail0verflow's article on the future of console hacking, it doesn't seem likely that they will in the future. The HBC is already very fully featured, with homebrew reaching the extents of what the Wii is capable of.

Besides, there are better and cheaper options for performing basic tasks that don't require immense effort from small developers. Wii homebrew covers all the things that are unique to the Wii, which is all the majority of people are interested in. The examples you cited about emulators and revived software are not really applicable to this situation. Those applications are softwares which can be improved on readily and can be used to their full extent on devices with more power. The Wii has very limited power, and nothing can ever increase that. It's not necessarily about the actual age of the Wii-- however its age shows how outdated and hard to work with the hardware is. Maybe implementing new features sounds good to you and a few hundred other Wii users, but there are many more time-worthy projects available to the developers.

Also, as you know, the source code for the HBC is not public. Getting the developers to update it and maybe publish the source code would be near impossible.

9. sindrik
    OP

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Nobody has said otherwise.

It is about 'old' software on 'old' consoles. If building software for ancient consoles is a problem, a Wii build would have been long forgotten.

Again, i cited mGBA as a prime example of people still developing for "ancient" hardware. It's not about wishing a hardware mod for a new CPU, it's just possible updates. If it doesn't happen, fine.

That's the thing: the decision is up to them, not to any of us in a simple forum. You can only speculate about what's important in other's peoples head until there is an official word, even if it happens on the Wii's 10th, 15th, or 50th anniversary. Consoles will still be used then :D

I respect your opinion, but i don't share it. It's just software, if they would like to update without releasing source, it's cool, if they just release source and that's it, great. If nothing happens, well! Then this will remain as a sincere wishlist and 'what if' thread.[/QUOTE]

10. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Well, I believe the original question was "would it be hard to convince them to update it". And to that extent I would still very much answer yes, with my original post standing as my points.

11. sindrik
    OP

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, but to be honest, not as in "let's make a petition for them to do it!!" It is just a what if. if they would be interested in the past, they would have done it. Maybe in the far future. It's not like i am seated waiting for it to happen, ha ha.

12. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Alright. I mean everyone's free to hope, but yeah, it's much more of a "what if" :P

sindrik likes this.
  13. mediabob

mediabob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2010
    United States
    You kind of have the emulator point backwards. People build or update software to emulate old hardware on new platforms. Nobody is building emulators to run on the Genesis (not that you could) they are building Genesis emulators to run on modern platforms and this is very much something people care about.

If a new Genesis emulator released for the OG Xbox tomorrow nobody would care.

It's not about caring about old hardware people want to emulate old hardware on new hardware. But at this point people are more interested in Wii U exploits than Wii so that's where the developers have gone.

Last edited by mediabob, Jan 26, 2016
    endoverend likes this.
  14. sindrik
    OP

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Updated the post to more accurately reflect this. Sorry if you think i was arguing with you, i am from Iceland and english is not my primary language.

I know what you mean. And i clearly stated that new builds are made for old hardware, new consoles do not automatically cripple previous consoles forever.

That's the problem with forums these days. But i will say it: one person does not represent the world. You would not use it? It's okey. 'Nobody' is a pretty strong word for just your opinion.

And nobody has a problem with going forward... it's just a w i s h l i s t and a thread for discussing it, not to oppose it. Otherwise it would be named "Block every homebrew development or compatible builds for ancient hardware".

Yes, old hardware is not exactly the most desirable thing for developers, but some of them like challenges. Who knows how much things will happen in the future for an already great homebrew console like the Wii has proven to be.

15. sindrik
    OP

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    R.I.P. Ben "Bushing" Byer., which sadly passed away on Feb. 8th. Thanks to his contributions, we all enjoy the incredible and diverse Wii Homebrew Scene.

ngs428 likes this.
  16. Touko White

Touko White Scarlet's Clone

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England
    Can you enable the scoreboard to appear like in older versions of the HBC? I would really want to play that game.

Auto-export to the Wii Menu could be a new feature so you can make loader applications without a PC, basically by having extras in the apps folder you can quickly make loader WADs and add them. I don't know if that's technically possible but I don't always like the idea of accessing another menu for some emulators and not for others.

If they're not going to update it then there should be a forked edition which adds all this stuff, it could be merged in the future. I only wish I could code stuff for it though (although I'd probably spend more time adding random Easter eggs in the channel)

sindrik likes this.
  17. Gizametalman

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Do you know what would be awesome?
    A way to ''convert'' free SD/USB memory space into some kind of virtual RAM to improve emulation with many, MANY roms.
    Dont know if its possible though.

portugeek likes this.
  18. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    Probably impossible.

19. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    They should continue this project, because, many Wii U owners use vWii homebrew.

20. marcan_troll

marcan_troll GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2009
    United States
    The only thing worth fixing as far as I can tell is the Wii U gamepad issue. Which only affects Wii U users, which are tiny, tiny minority of HBC users. So it doesn't make any sense to push an update for all HBC users just to fix a problem that only affects less than 1%. There is also significant effort in testing everything to make sure it works. It's not just a matter of patching the one thing and releasing, because we don't have a hermetic build process (mostly due to libogc/devkitppc updates) and other things could break.

Every time I get thoughts of just dropping the HBC source code on GitHub or something I read stuff like this and figure "meh, maybe next year".

Last edited by marcan_troll, Feb 22, 2016
    sindrik and daxtsu like this.