The Green Hornet

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by nasune, Jan 16, 2011.

Jan 16, 2011

The Green Hornet by nasune at 9:47 PM (1,371 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. nasune
    OP

Member nasune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Well I went to see it in 3d yesterday, and I found myself somewhat dissapointed. They were just trying too hard to be funny, and I was hoping for a more serious superhero movie (as per the trend these last years). Anyone have a different opinion?

2. junkerde

Banned junkerde Banned

United States
    wow, judging by this, you haven prolly event seen the trailer prior to watching

3. nasune
    OP

Member nasune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    No, not really. I just figured that with the more serious superhero movies these days this would be a (somewhat) serious movie (well as serious as a movie about grown men running around in masks can be [​IMG] )

4. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I watched it yesterday and really enjoyed it! I didn't see it in 3D so can't really comment on that but the film itself was a good watch. They totally changed the dynamic of Britt Reid/Kato and completely changed the Britt Reid character itself but I felt that it worked well enough. Jay Chou did a decent job of portraying Kato, he made it his own while still paying homage to Bruce Lees incarnation of the character. The action was fun and large, although the CGI in some scenes left a little to be desired - specially in one of the Kato fight scenes. It's not dark and moody like most of the recent superhero flicks like you said, and that is one of the changes from the original as it was quite dark, but I feel it sets it apart from the others. Not every hero film has to be dark or serious for it to be a good watch, just look at the original Superman film with Christopher Reeve for a good example.

5. Elvarg

Banned Elvarg Zyzz™

Australia
    i watched it on 2D on the computer lol and the graphics were bad cause it was recorded.

6. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    That's not the only reason. Some of the physics in the cgi for the fight scenes just looked plain wrong.

7. Tokyo Jihen

Member Tokyo Jihen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I watched it in 3D. I thought it was an overall enjoyable experience. It was definitely fun to watch and laugh at. I loved the cameo in the beginning and I thought Christoph Waltz was a total badass.

8. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Gnna see it tomorrow [​IMG]

EDIT: BTW Has anyone seen the Mythbusters Special on the Green Hornet, its quite cool

9. Fireballo

Banned Fireballo Banned

United States
    I'm going to pass on this one. It's looks like a real shitty movie. The Green Hornet used to kick ass. There's no need for computer animation and 3d if the movie is actually good. This looked so lame I'd rather buy a pizza that throw my money away.

10. denieru7

Member denieru7 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Eh, Jay Chou fan, so I'm going to see the fruits of one month of him learning English regardless [​IMG]

11. oedipusRex_09

Newcomer oedipusRex_09 Newbie

United States
    I went to the my hometown movie theater last week, I say hometown because it only has two screens and generally plays rated-G movies only. I was surprised to see that they were playing two PG-13 movies, Green Hornet and True Grit, this last week, so I went. There was a long line at the door and I was happy to see that this small town theater was doing well, however, I was only one of two people who went to see True Grit. EVERYONE saw the Green Hornet instead! What is this world coming to?

12. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    People prefer to see family based, comedy, and fan-loved movies rather than serious Academy contenders. (reason why Twilight, "insert genre" Movie, and teen movies are so popular)

On the topic at hand, the movie was shit. It lacked any story to it whatsoever, using overused cliches and lacked any plot advancement to it. Half of the movie was mindless filler. It wasn't funny, clearly rehashed, and very unfocused. The acting was weak and looked obviously copied from previous (and better) characters. The effects had some redeeming quality of some sort though. (I liked the Black Beauty a lot)

On another note, I did like the James Franco cameo at the beginning. It was fun to see him act in something lighter for once unlike 127 Hours and Spiderman.

13. blackdragonbaham

Member blackdragonbaham GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    i watched the movie yesterday, and it was ok, offered no new or really exciting elemtens nor moments. a lot of scenes are exaggerated, not meaning unrealistic but like bad prepared cliches, standart movie situations and uncomical comedy parts. they totally flopped with their try to add some serious elements like moral conflicts, friendship or growth of the protagonists to the movie. it seemes like the director didn't really know what kind of genre the film should be in, so a lot of raw elements are used, but none really clever. but the really sad thing about it is that it don't have a clear story, not even a slightest piece of moral at the end. too bad

14. Ringo619

Member Ringo619 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    pretty good movie , a very different story line i thought it was gonna be one of those superhero movies where there is happy end and stuff and this is my first time seeing seth rogen play a different role rather than his typical drug characters

15. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    Im going to watch it sometime. I saw the trailer and just decided "That I gotta watch." Maybe next weekend. But is it that bad? I mean, THAT bad?

16. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    It is rather unfortunate, isn't it? I went to see both, and I must say, despite the two films being of different genres, I enjoyed True Grit quite a bit more.

Well, on topic, then: In my opinion, the Green Hornet falls perfectly into the "See it once, leave it at that" category. There's nothing so charming that it'd warrant a DVD or Blu-ray purchase, or end up as one of those "hey, remember that awesome movie" movies that people keep loving years after.

Of course, not all movies aim to be that sort of film, but regardless...

17. TLSS_N

Member TLSS_N Who is John Galt?

United States
    I saw it on my birthday, I had no prior experience to the series even though it's based on the shadow radio/pulp. I can't say it made me want to look into the series, it had it's moments but there was so many curse words... I thought it was supposed to be a family movie? oh well, the movie in particular wasn't great but that's not what they where going for in my opinion.