Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the USB detection it's simple the version linked in this tread of USB loader GX is too old and doesn't work with Ustealth, just needed a more up to date version

Ok this comment here is now really kind of making me a little pissy. Because I legitimately wiped my vWii clean and rehacked it from scratch (or as from as much scratch as possible), just to confirm that everything in my guide does indeed work. And even without updating anything -- which I explicitly walk people through -- everything works and functions as it should.

@Ratatapa : please see my last post if you have not yet, as you need to be informed what the actual issue was. The issue was not with USB Loader GX or the revision posted on my guide, it was that you had two USB devices plugged into your Wii U, one of which was a Wii U drive. When I specifically asked you if you had any USB devices plugged in besides your vWii device, you said you did not. Then when you took the Wii U drive and put it in the front USB slots, which afaik only Nintendon't actually tries to read from, voila! Problem fixed. I could have helped you much more definitively if you would have just said that in the first place, and I wouldn't have felt it necessary to waste a whole night of my time blowing through my guide if you'd just then admitted you made a mistake, instead of blaming me / my guide for providing you faulty information. When someone asks you a question and we are troubleshooting your issues, please respond as accurately as you can.

@Cyan : being that I just went through my guide completely again, I can confirm that Bootice works as I have described in my last post. Even though it says partition four, Bootice will automatically make it the one and first partition if it is the only partition with a size. I would not recommend attempting to put anything in box 1, as box 4 is automatically calculated to be whatever space is left after the first 3 partitions are squared away. Also, I will be re-editing the Backup Manager portion as was discussed as soon as I get some free time. My schedule is going to be packed until Friday.

Last edited by CJB100,

Ratatapa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok this comment here is now really kind of making me a little pissy. Because I legitimately wiped my vWii clean and rehacked it from scratch (or as from as much scratch as possible), just to confirm that everything in my guide does indeed work. And even without updating anything -- which I explicitly walk people through -- everything works and functions as it should.

@Ratatapa : please see my last post if you have not yet, as you need to be informed what the actual issue was. The issue was not with USB Loader GX or the revision posted on my guide, it was that you had two USB devices plugged into your Wii U, one of which was a Wii U drive. When I specifically asked you if you had any USB devices plugged in besides your vWii device, you said you did not. Then when you took the Wii U drive and put it in the front USB slots, which afaik only Nintendon't actually tries to read from, voila! Problem fixed. I could have helped you much more definitively if you would have just said that in the first place, and I wouldn't have felt it necessary to waste a whole night of my time blowing through my guide if you'd just then admitted you made a mistake, instead of blaming me / my guide for providing you faulty information. When someone asks you a question and we are troubleshooting your issues, please respond as accurately as you can.

@Cyan : being that I just went through my guide completely again, I can confirm that Bootice works as I have described in my last post. Even though it says partition four, Bootice will automatically make it the one and first partition if it is the only partition with a size. I would not recommend attempting to put anything in box 1, as box 4 is automatically calculated to be whatever space is left after the first 3 partitions are squared away. Also, I will be re-editing the Backup Manager portion as was discussed as soon as I get some free time. My schedule is going to be packed until Friday.

Nah you getting mad for no reason, like I said yesterday I downloaded the 2nd link for usb loader go called r1260 ( I think) and it didn't support ustealth I redone loaded the one from cyan link and even though it was also called r1260 it did work.

As for the 2nd hdd, you might need to reread what I posted. WHEN I did my initial configuration I Had 1 HDD but I never said I would never use a 2nd one, your question was when I had the issue, if I used 1 or 2 hdd and I said 1, I always planned to used 2 hdd but I had issue making everything work with 1 hdd so I didn't lie to you.

As of now I have everything working, I have my vwii hdd in port0, my Ethernet adapter in port1 and my usb hub plugging in from with my wiiu hdd and I can access everything

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah you getting mad for no reason, like I said yesterday I downloaded the 2nd link for usb loader go called r1260 ( I think) and it didn't support ustealth I redone loaded the one from cyan link and even though it was also called r1260 it did work.

As for the 2nd hdd, you might need to reread what I posted. WHEN I did my initial configuration I Had 1 HDD but I never said I would never use a 2nd one, your question was when I had the issue, if I used 1 or 2 hdd and I said 1, I always planned to used 2 hdd but I had issue making everything work with 1 hdd so I didn't lie to you.

As of now I have everything working, I have my vwii hdd in port0, my Ethernet adapter in port1 and my usb hub plugging in from with my wiiu hdd and I can access everything

1) I never said you lied, I said you did not answer accurately. You had a problem which is generally caused by having too many USB devices plugged or having them plugged in incorrectly. So if someone asks if you have any other USB devices plugged in, you might be inclined to mention your USB Hub, Ethernet adapter, or Wii U USB.

2) Considering our links go to the same place, I can guarantee you that you neither downloaded a different USB Loader GX file, nor did it have anything to do with your issue, unless you made a mistake, because as Cyan stated, UStealth support was added after r1180, and this guide and Cyan's link lead to the latest revision, r1256. Even if you had clicked my Google Drive USB Loader GX download and never downloaded the latest revision as the guide states, it would have been r1226, which supports UStealth.

3) At least you have it working now. Make certain you keep your USB set up exactly as it currently is, because that was the issue. If you have your Wii U HDD in the front of your Wii U, you will most likely need to remove it before starting GameCube games from USB with Nintendont/USB Loader GX, as a second USB Hard Drive will usually cause Nintendont to freeze up.

Ratatapa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) I never said you lied, I said you did not answer accurately. You had a problem which is generally caused by having too many USB devices plugged or having them plugged in incorrectly. So if someone asks if you have any other USB devices plugged in, you might be inclined to mention your USB Hub, Ethernet adapter, or Wii U USB.

2) Considering our links go to the same place, I can guarantee you that you neither downloaded a different USB Loader GX file, nor did it have anything to do with your issue, unless you made a mistake, because as Cyan stated, UStealth support was added after r1180, and this guide and Cyan's link lead to the latest revision, r1256. Even if you had clicked my Google Drive USB Loader GX download and never downloaded the latest revision as the guide states, it would have been r1226, which supports UStealth.

3) At least you have it working now. Make certain you keep your USB set up exactly as it currently is, because that was the issue. If you have your Wii U HDD in the front of your Wii U, you will most likely need to remove it before starting GameCube games from USB with Nintendont/USB Loader GX, as a second USB Hard Drive will usually cause Nintendont to freeze up.

For the 1 You don't seem to understand, When I HAD THE ISSUE I had only 1 HDD, when i asked you the first time about why it wasn't detected, I didn't had my WIIU HD plugged in, my first goal was to make my VWII HDD works without the USB hub and without the WIIU HDD, so I did answer your question correctly

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
, I can confirm that Bootice works as I have described in my last post. Even though it says partition four, Bootice will automatically make it the one and first partition
Thanks for checking. Then that's fine :)

Also, no need to get upset.
The important is that all is working now.

Reactions: CJB100

Effi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Thank you for this guide!
Can I transfer data (saved progress account etc.) from my old hacked Wii to VWii?

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for this guide!
Can I transfer data (saved progress account etc.) from my old hacked Wii to VWii?

Just transferring the save games would be the best way to go about it as Robins has said. But I have heard that you can transfer your Wii to vWii without issue even if your vWii and original Wii are hacked. I have yet to confirm this though.

Reactions: Effi

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought this kit to install HomeBrew from ebay and it worked great.
You will get LEGO Batman game and SD card.
Installation took me 2 min.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/112041811082?

I don't like that. It may work and ultimately he is probably not making much profit, but it's pretty freakin shitty that someone is trying to make money off other people's hard work. I'm debating on whether to report that. The Hackmii software states right on the load screen that you should never pay for it. The only thing that makes this a grey matter is the fact that he is reselling you a game and SD card.

Reactions: 7Robins

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just transferring the save games would be the best way to go about it as Robins has said. But I have heard that you can transfer your Wii to vWii without issue even if your vWii and original Wii are hacked. I have yet to confirm this though.
The safest bet would be to transfer Wii data in the settings and then hack vWii afterwards. Or just transfer the save data. :D
Your name looks suspiciously similar to the seller's name..

raphzthename

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me know if that works for you, I am glad to assist if it does not. But I think command prompt will automatically format to GPT, so it should work for you either way.

Hey, back again. The 3TB drive was giving me way too much trouble, so I just opted to use my 2TB drive instead.

With that in mind, here's my current configuration:
  • 2TB WD My Passport formatted to FAT32 plugged into ports 0 & 1 with a Y-cable
  • Wii U correctly recognizes it and asks me to format each time (I don't)
  • USB Loader GX v3.0 Rev. 1256
  • Loader's IOS: 249
  • Game's IOS: 249
  • Sample game path: usbroot:\games\Bomberman Land [RBBE18]
When I attempt to launch USB Loader GX with my HD plugged in, it freezes at the initializing screen. Not sure how to get past this. Should I plug/unplug my HD at certain points? Or should I try a different IOS or revision?

Here are my disk details:
Code:
> chkdsk f:
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume Serial Number is xxxx-xxxx
Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
1,953,002,848 KB total disk space.
           64 KB in 2 folders.
    1,552,384 KB in 1 files.
1,951,450,368 KB are available.

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
   61,031,339 total allocation units on disk.
   60,982,824 allocation units available on disk.

Last edited by raphzthename,

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Bug_Checker_, , Reason: removed link

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

@Cyan : this guy did actually have an account back in the day with a couple legitimate posts, but his last three posts are spamming his seller account. It's completely up to you and the other mods, but I would suggest, as just a member, that he be banned. This is really scummy.

Hey, back again. The 3TB drive was giving me way too much trouble, so I just opted to use my 2TB drive instead.

With that in mind, here's my current configuration:
  • 2TB WD My Passport formatted to FAT32 plugged into ports 0 & 1 with a Y-cable
  • Wii U correctly recognizes it and asks me to format each time (I don't)
  • USB Loader GX v3.0 Rev. 1256
  • Loader's IOS: 249
  • Game's IOS: 249
  • Sample game path: usbroot:\games\Bomberman Land [RBBE18]
When I attempt to launch USB Loader GX with my HD plugged in, it freezes at the initializing screen. Not sure how to get past this. Should I plug/unplug my HD at certain points? Or should I try a different IOS or revision?

Here are my disk details:
Code:
> chkdsk f:
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume Serial Number is xxxx-xxxx
Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
1,953,002,848 KB total disk space.
           64 KB in 2 folders.
    1,552,384 KB in 1 files.
1,951,450,368 KB are available.

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
   61,031,339 total allocation units on disk.
   60,982,824 allocation units available on disk.

Now that you have a 2TB HDD, are you using MBR or GPT out of curiousity? Also, is Bomberman Land is a Wii game, so the path would actually be:

usbroot:\wbfs\Bomberman Land [RBBE18]\RBBE18.iso or RBBE18.wbfs.

Doubt that is what is causing the freeze, but it could be. Correct the path and let me know if that helps.

Reactions: raphzthename

raphzthename

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that you have a 2TB HDD, are you using MBR or GPT out of curiousity? Also, is Bomberman Land is a Wii game, so the path would actually be:

usbroot:\wbfs\Bomberman Land [RBBE18]\RBBE18.iso or RBBE18.wbfs.

Doubt that is what is causing the freeze, but it could be. Correct the path and let me know if that helps.

Currently using MBR. Corrected the path, but USB Loader GX was still hanging.

For others who may come across the same issue, I was able to resolve this by leaving my HD unplugged until on the Homebrew Channel and then plugging it in. Freezing issue solved!

Getting closer and closer... my newest issue is that it won't read the game. Here's a screenshot of my directories on my drive:
Mhe8h34.jpg

Oddly enough, it seems to pick up other channels as games (probably from my SD card) such as Wii Shop Channel, Wii Menu, Mii Channel, etc.

Is there a setting that I should adjust to get it to pick up the game correctly?

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently using MBR. Corrected the path, but USB Loader GX was still hanging.

For others who may come across the same issue, I was able to resolve this by leaving my HD unplugged until on the Homebrew Channel and then plugging it in. Freezing issue solved!

Getting closer and closer... my newest issue is that it won't read the game. Here's a screenshot of my directories on my drive:
Mhe8h34.jpg

Oddly enough, it seems to pick up other channels as games (probably from my SD card) such as Wii Shop Channel, Wii Menu, Mii Channel, etc.

Is there a setting that I should adjust to get it to pick up the game correctly?

Have you selected the briefcase looking icon on the USB Loader GX Menu and selected or de-selected and then re-selected Wii and Gamecube games? Sometimes odd things can happen when adding games and this will temporarily disregard any game cache the program stores and pull in new files.

As far as it freezing when you load USB Loader GX, is USB Loader GX currently running from the HDD in question?
Also, you should go into the USB Loader GX Settings while the HDD is unplugged, and see if the correct setting has been put for the USB Drive.
Go to Settings (Gears icon) --> Hard Drive Settings --> Game/Install Partition.
If it has anything in there, click it and it should return to the default value.
Restart USB Loader GX with the HDD plugged in this time, see if you have the same issue. If not, great.
If you experience the same issue, attempt to go in without the HDD plugged in, then plug it in when it loads, and go back to the above settings.
Click the option and see if you have multiple partitions or if it eventually settles on one setting.

Let me know of your results.

Reactions: raphzthename

Houjin

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask if it is somehow possbile to use vWii without the sensor bar, and still showing the whole screen on TV?
What I want to do is take my console with me to play at a friends place, and we want to use Nintendont to be exactly. But the thing is that the sensor bar cable is tied up with alot of other stuff at my place, so I don´t want to take it out all the time...

Is there a way to start nintendont without the bar?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: