Tutorial  Updated

The Definitive guide to 3DS hacking

BIICUm4.png

Welcome to the Definitive guide for Nintendo 3DS Hacking! You'll learn how to setup everything from basic Homebrew to CFW!​

HOW TO BLOCK UPDATES * Will add graphic later*

Go to System Settings -> Internet settings -> Connections -> Click on your favorite connection. After that go to the second page and click on DNS once there click no and then auto obtain under detail setup enter this for primary DNS​

pictures provided by @ScarletKohaku
LuwX4BD.jpg
Vv8C3kn.jpg

8Gjuznl.jpg

bubkfkU.png

Ninjhax was the first entryway into the 3DS developed by Smea. Now here is how to set it up!

1. Download the Homebrew starter pack here
2. Extract the contents of the starter pack to the root of your Nintendo 3DS SD card
4. Launch cubic ninja and go to this site
5. Scroll down to where it says get ninjhax select your firmware and click update QR code
6. When in Cubic Ninja "Create" then "QR code" then do "Scan QR code"
7. After that follow what the screen tells you to do and you should be in the Homebrew Channel

y9WnR4U.png

LATEST FIRMWARE FOR WORKING THEMEHAX: 10.5.0
Themehax is different from all the other haxs because it can boot the Homebrew launcher right from boot! Pretty cool huh? This hax was developed by yellows8.

1. Open up the Menuhax manager in the Homebrew launcher (it came with the starter pack)
2. After you opened it up click on the install option
3. Restart the 3DS and you should now be in the Homebrew launcher!

Optional:

1a Getting rid of the pixels on boot up.
1. In Menuhax manager go to Configure Menuhax main-screen image display
2. Press A
3. Here it will ask you to choose the default image or you can use a custom one.
4. For now pick default image. I'll go into how to make custom ones in a little bit.

Optional part 2

2a Making a custom Themehax top and bottom images
1. The PNG dimensions should be 800x240 and 240x800 to get a cool 3D affect! It should be all one image though!
2. Put the image in this directory SD "/3ds/menuhax_manager/imagedisplay.png" (imageddisplay.png should be what your image is named)

Here is a example image: It was made by @NaxiD93

687474703a2f2f693235372e70686f746f6275636b65742e636f6d2f616c62756d732f68683230382f4e415849442f4c4f41445f7a7073626b3737666d36632e706e67

3. Click on custom image loaded from a png on SD card.

You should now have you custom image ready to be loaded!

Optional part 3

3a Setting hax trigger buttons
1. Click on Configure/check haxx trigger buttons which can override the default settings
2. You will probably get something like "The cfg file currently doesn't exist" just press the A button
3. So for example we will trigger that hax when we are holding a button so click type 1
4. If you want no buttons so the hax starts automatically press the bottom screen
5. if you want a button other then L to trigger the hax press that button and the bottom screen at the same time

Now your button of choice will be what you use to boot themehax or no button if that is what you picked!

*Browser hax will add graphic later*

Latest safe firmware for browserhax - 10.5
To install browser hax scan this QR code with the starter.zip extracted to the root of your SD card
3dsbrowserhax_auto_qrcode.png

*How to bypass browserhax will add graphic later*
1. Go to system settings
2. Change the date to January, 1, 2000 and time to 00:00
3. Use the browser 'Initialize savedata' option, before any page gets loaded triggering the browser-version message.
4. Once the datetime reaches January 2, you will have to repeat these steps if you want to continue using this bypass.

pictures provided by @ScarletKohaku
BWqucjG.jpg
UqjGynH.jpg

fTCAu23.jpg
RBz4Hq3.jpg

OtGkrVv.jpg
ey4xvVE.jpg

7mXlxLQ.jpg
FA938DB.jpg

Disclaimer: I would go over IronHax but sadly it's dead.

BbQOiqt.png

OOTHax is a save file hack for The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time developed by yellows8.

*I have not personally used this yet so if I get something wrong please correct me*
* You will also need a datel powersave to do this*

1. Backup your game card with your freshly (or not) purchased powersave
2. In windows go to "C:\Users\YourUsername\Powersaves3DS"
3. Copy the saveimage you selected from the saveimages_powersaves directory in the release-archive as described above, to this Powersaves3DS directory.
4. Rename your backup save to a different filename.
5. Rename the oot3dhax saveimage to the filename which the backup save had originally.
6. Use Powersaves to restore the save.

How to use the hax!

1. Go to the save-slot select screen
2. Select haxx save-saveslot
3. Begin loading the save-slot
4. Wait for the game to finish loading
5. Either press A, do anything triggering display of dialogs, or press any button on the touch-screen(the VIEW button, the MAP button, and the buttons for the currently equipped items don't trigger it).

As I said I have never used this before the instruction on how to install OOT where taken from
here[/COLOR]

8sINv0q.png

* I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR CONSOLE OR IF YOU BRICK*

*Before you downgrade delete that DNS you added early. If you don't you wont be able to do anything in recovery mode.*
Now here is where the fun really starts! Great you got homebrew setup but running just 3DSXs can be boring. Emulators can be slow and there really isn't anything that cool besides a couple games. However, If you can be succesfully with downgrading you can setup CFW (I will teach you how to setup RX Tools on a N3DS and old 3DS later. Now what is CFW you might ask? CFW stands for custom firmware. With you can have all kinds of goodies such as installing cias and using emunand to emulate your nand so you can upgrade to the latest firmware without breaking any haxs! Let's get started shall we!

1. Download Sysupdater from here
2. Search for [MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions) on google
3. You should end up on "That iso site" once you're there download the 9.2 pack for your correct 3DS model and region
4. extract the contents to the root of you SD card just to make sure go to your SD cards root and see if there is a folder called updates with a bunch of cias in it. If so good.

* note to reader* If you are on a mac I suggest you wait until you get a windows computer mac tends to add a hidden . before the file name which I do not know how to fix*

*Also this is important for Japanese 3DS users*

JAPAN N3DS ONLY: Delete the 000400102002CA00.cia file from your updates folder.
this ONLY applies to a Japanese New3DS/LL!
If you do not do that you WILL brick your device.

5. Press Y to downgrade
6. Wait until it is done and tells you to reboot your device. If it stays on please reboot your device for more then 10m you can reboot it manually.

*If you get a softbrick enter recovery mode and update* To get into recovery mode on boot up do A+R+L+Up(DPad).

If recovery mode does not work then look on the bright side! You got a new paper weight for school or work!!!

If it did work you have joined the 9.2 master race! Time to set up cfw I'll just link videos for now. My hands are starting to hurt xD

Be sure to check to see if your downgrade is complete using this downgrade checker

xQDpiBb.png

BZRfwzE.png

For the 3DS Section

CFW - Custom Firmware
Hax - A cool way of saying hack
Emunand it is a emulated nand that runs off the SD card
Soon™ - A gateway meme meaning it may come soon or never
A9LH - A way to get Arm9 I will go into more detail Soon™
That iso site - A site where you can get files that gbatemp can't host​

Until next time, Stay fresh!​

Last edited by BurningDesire,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, nice post.

But what would the sticky achieve?

The n00bs don't read stickys, so this forum will still be flooded by new random threads....
ikr they literately take no time to look around

Title: HELP WIth MENZHAX
Description: I got the eroor sihn wat do?

First comment:
Whats your firmware?

OP: Whats firmware?

Second comment: your version

OP: Oh 10.6

Me: ...

Last edited by Luglige,

HariGp

Trophies
XP
Country
India
You might want to mention to remove any DNS which blocks Nintendo. If you get a soft brick while downgrading, and enter recovery mode with the DNS there, you won't have any way to update(because of the DNS) to the latst firmware, thereby causing a brick-like brick ;P

Reactions: BurningDesire

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might want to mention to remove any DNS which blocks Nintendo. If you get a soft brick while downgrading, and enter recovery mode with the DNS there, you won't have any way to update(because of the DNS) to the latst firmware, thereby causing a brick-like brick ;P
Updated OP!

I kinda forget about tubehax DNS lol

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feel free to use any of these if you want screenshots of the DNS setup. Lemme know if you want screenshots of anything else <3
http://imgur.com/a/EP4lv
Beautiful! Think you can do some for how to bypass browser hax?

1. Goto System Settings. Then change the datetime to January 1, 2000, 00:00.
  2. Use the browser 'Initialize savedata' option, before any page gets loaded triggering the browser-version message.
  3. Continue to use browserhax as normal.
  4. Note that you must not press the HOME button to return from the browser normally, otherwise you will have to reinitialize the savedata again. Once the datetime reaches January 2, you will have to repeat these steps if you want to continue using this bypass.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful! Think you can do some for how to bypass browser hax?

1. Goto System Settings. Then change the datetime to January 1, 2000, 00:00.
  2. Use the browser 'Initialize savedata' option, before any page gets loaded triggering the browser-version message.
  3. Continue to use browserhax as normal.
  4. Note that you must not press the HOME button to return from the browser normally, otherwise you will have to reinitialize the savedata again. Once the datetime reaches January 2, you will have to repeat these steps if you want to continue using this bypass.
Sure, do you want both screens in each picture for clarity or just the relevant screen?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Perfect! I even have the same theme as you! Hey, do you have a capture card to do this or is there a homebrew for cfw I don't know about lol.
Capture card ^^ I think the Homebrew Launcher has a screenshot feature now though. I kinda had to splice together those images since I don't have Wifi btw, but they should be representative of the steps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/yjrjY6PCb7o?si=xnFz0B2o_adIgLTV +1