FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Same company as Simulcra...

On a different note but on a marginally related topic, and I can't be bothered to make a new post, but courtesy of all my amiga video searches ze algorithm decided I might like

I was. This sort of hardware replacement, and not even having to faff with FPGAs, is something I had not expected to see just yet.
Short version. A little adapter board and you can replace your Amiga CPU with a far shinier one that the raspberry pi is emulating, however it is not emulation in the traditional sense as the rest of the hardware is speaking to it as though it were a CPU (plus has network, hard drive and more besides). Fancy workbench within 15 seconds as well.

Reactions: hippy dave

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Same company as Simulcra...

On a different note but on a marginally related topic, and I can't be bothered to make a new post, but courtesy of all my amiga video searches ze algorithm decided I might like

I was. This sort of hardware replacement, and not even having to faff with FPGAs, is something I had not expected to see just yet.
Short version. A little adapter board and you can replace your Amiga CPU with a far shinier one that the raspberry pi is emulating, however it is not emulation in the traditional sense as the rest of the hardware is speaking to it as though it were a CPU (plus has network, hard drive and more besides). Fancy workbench within 15 seconds as well.

I’m still waiting for the A1200 version to replace my ACA1233n, although it‘s going to be allot more expensive since it has to be done via the expansion port.

I’d rather use ‘real’ hardware but it’s too cost prohibitive for my liking.

Last edited by tech3475,

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
It does look like a quality piece of equipment but I'd much rather have a properly configured WHDload machine using Tinylauncher on Vita as per this thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-bes...the-sony-ps-vita-and-how-to-set-it-up.605863/

Tried giving it a go using Windows emulated on a Mac and that added an extra level of challenge due to F button mapping, mouse button issues etc.. so gave it a rest. Anyone else tried it?

The 3DS port is quite good though if you're just using ADFs (plus much better sound due to bassier speakers):

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-uae3ds-amiga-500-emulator-for-nintendo-3ds.558577/

For some reason the Vita is really slow on loading ADFs in contrast to the 3DS and upping the drive speed just makes the sound distort as well as other issues.

Best thing with this Mini is that it just works so no faff as that factor is immense when it comes to Amiga as its so user unfriendly to configure. Do think the graphics look better on small portable screens though and 3DS excels in that respect as its pixel perfect plus you get the keyboard on the bottom screen and a proper touch mouse.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Should be £75 tops. Just like the PCE that was ridiculously overpriced to fleece die hard fans and cash in on mini mania. If they'd released that at £75 as well it would've sold so much more rather than sitting in Amazon warehouses where people like myself are waiting for them to drop to £40 when they clear them out.

Predict this will be the same except they won't have produced as many as its even more niche.

The PS Classic at £30 was (once modded) the one to rule them all for all your retro wants but even half the fun of that was tweaking the config and getting it just so. SNES Mini did it best in every respect although I'd buy a GameBoy Mini for upto £90 due to Nintendo Tax reasons.

Definitely think thats next as the Mario G&W hanhelds were a test run for security as those screens were way too good for what they were used for.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TBH, I don't think I would buy it even then. It's just too much of a turn off to not have a working keyboard on an A500. The Maxi makes way more sense but will no doubt cost loads more.

I probably would've paid upto £75 if they had gone for a CD32 mini though.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I am going to hack this like I hacked THEC64 with PCUAE, it can not load ADF file, they used some Ideas from PCUAE on THEA500 Carousel like favorites carousel.

This can apparently directly boot whdload files which I would argue is a far greater feature than adfs, and something UAE doesn't natively support.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like the launch is slightly delayed to April 8th. It bothers me that they are trying to create FOMO by saying the initial batch is going to sell out, which implies there might be a wait for the next run.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have super high hopes that they'll release a "max" version with fully working keyboards like they did for the C64 Mini/Maxi.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I have super high hopes that they'll release a "max" version with fully working keyboards like they did for the C64 Mini/Maxi.

I'd like a "Maxi" version of this, however....

The C64 Maxi was the same size as an original C64. The original A500 was massive, thought and I wouldn't want something quite so big. This might give them a dilemma; provide a fully functional machine with a footprint that's a little more reasonable, or produce a 1:1 scale model. I can't help but think either way, some people are always going to be upset. Unless I'm the only person in the world with the size concern; maybe that's less of an issue for them, then!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ze algorithm decided I might like and now you all get to watch it as well

Simple/supported side loading via WHDload is available which is nice. The hidden bonus game referenced is Citadel which is not on the devs/pubs list of earlier but I am way too lazy to go looking at Amiga era buyouts again
https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=1863

Quality also appears to be reasonably up there as well. That said https://amigang.com/amigamini-thea500/ questions some of the versions.
Note: Most versions of games are the disk based AGA versions and not the original OCS version that would have been released on the A500. Also disappointedly Simon The Sorcerer is the Non Talkie version, and not the voiced version that was made for the CD32.

I am also not going to lie. I do want one of those mice. I am presuming they did not kick it too terribly old school and went for laser. Will go well with my nice RM nimbus keyboard (though while still ps/2 it is new enough to have a windows key and normal full keyboard layout as I am not that cool/lucky).

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, after saying I wasn't interested I somehow ended up getting one anyway....

The good news is that it's a very nice system. The mouse is brilliant and I probably would've bought one of those anyway if I hadn't got the whole thing. The gamepad less so, I've been struggling with it and longing for some sort of Competition Pro or Zipstick instead. There are plenty of config settings and a decent, if cumbersome, onscreen keyboard.

Best of all though, it allows USB loading right out of the box, so I've been having a blast with WHDLoad. The next step is to check out a complete Workbench environment like AMiNIMiga, so I can re-create the mask of King Tut in Deluxe Paint..

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They definitely did a USB version of the Competition Pro several years ago, maybe you can find one. (E: to clarify "they" doesn't mean the people who are doing the A500 mini)

Nice to hear you can load whatever you want without having to hack it, definitely makes it way more useful. Still probably can't justify getting one when I can emulate, but am still happy with my purchase of the mouse on its own.

Reactions: SylverReZ

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They definitely did a USB version of the Competition Pro several years ago, maybe you can find one. (E: to clarify "they" doesn't mean the people who are doing the A500 mini)
Yeah, I think it was Speedlink. The cheapest I can find it is 30 quid so I'll probably pass for now. Plus I have no idea how good the quality actually is.

I have the one that came with TheC64 which is also a Comp Pro rip off, but it doesn't feel that great to use either.

Might have to just make one of those RPi Pico USB-DB9 adapters and use one of my original Zipsticks, which still works great after all these years. But at that point, why not just play on my A1200 instead.. meh lol

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things