The A500 Mini

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Every time I start thinking about it, I see the price and get put off. I'm also not confident that it will get any cheaper over time. Also, my Steam Deck reservation is around the same time as this now so there's that.

I still want one though :/

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Every time I start thinking about it, I see the price and get put off. I'm also not confident that it will get any cheaper over time. Also, my Steam Deck reservation is around the same time as this now so there's that.

I still want one though :/

Looking at the C64 Mini, I think there is a chance of a drop but not for a couple of years.

It always seems to be the Maxi which stays near full price.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the C64 Mini, I think there is a chance of a drop but not for a couple of years.

It always seems to be the Maxi which stays near full price.
I guess it depends how many they will be able to produce. Due to it being Amiga-related I'll definitely be experiencing some FOMO around release time. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a CD32 before they got expensive.

Reactions: tech3475

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Qwak and Super Cars II

YJqeMC7.jpg

Reactions: hippy dave

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems I was somewhat off on my previous post. https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-a500-mini.592580/page-3#post-9662046

Didn't know Team17 had any kind of rights to Qwak (indeed was not on my list, probably should now include things they published*) and I only mentioned supercars in passing as a possibility rather than any kind of firmness as all else in racing land is probably tied up in rights hell.

Minor curio. Qwak also saw a port to the GBA http://www.qwak.co.uk/pages/gba/ where it was actually an unofficial commercial effort. Though if it ended up in the hands of a dev rather than some legacy collection of a conglomerate I imagine a token sum and a phonecall might have got it sorted.

*Assassin (hack and slash shooter -- think Strider or maybe gunstar heroes and quite good (not on par with those though) but there is also a reason few speak of it today, and that is not just the amiga curse)
The same devs also did Overdrive which is kind of a micro machines (granted I doubt many will know that these days, even with the not so bad return the other year) racing game. Appeared on the blackberry as well apparently.
Super Stardust which is a more conventional shmup.
F17 Challenge... does anybody want this sort of game, not to mention there is already F16 combat pilot.
Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy (at best a cult classic point and click)
Speris legacy but that was A1200 so I don't know how far this reaches. If you are looking for a 2d Zelda alternative that only a few know about then go find the PS1 game Alundra. Would also not be in my final picks (or maybe oh no we lied have some bonus picks) to drive up interest.
ATR: All Terrain Racing is already on the list which probably should have keyed me into looking more at the publisher side of things.

I should probably also count up the various things done and see who submitted what, though no real reason to assume they will all be the same or anything.

So 3 to go.
Think I will double down on my previous post predictions with even more on them finishing alien breed mainline out at least with II (skip 3d 2) and I can't imagine they did not push super hard for chaos engine 2. Though I will open myself up to the possibility of a single rights nightmare type game being unveiled in the final push or surprise bonus.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The same devs also did Overdrive which is kind of a micro machines (granted I doubt many will know that these days, even with the not so bad return the other year) racing game.
Is that the same as the Pole Position clone? I spent a lot of time playing that on BBC Micro.

Edit: Forgot to give my predictions. I'm thinking Gods since we're already doing Bitmap Brothers, and that is a particularly notable one for me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is that the same as the Pole Position clone? I spent a lot of time playing that on BBC Micro.

Edit: Forgot to give my predictions. I'm thinking Gods since we're already doing Bitmap Brothers, and that is a particularly notable one for me.
Top down or possibly 2.5 depending upon your opinion, and another for the list of horizon as effect in the title screen it seems ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/once-you-see-it-classic-game-title-screens.326030/ ). Only BBC micro thing I have any great memories of is Elite as well so there is also that.
Video

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, that's definitely not the same as I was thinking. The BBC Micro one was a fairly blatant Pole Position rip off.

I guess it's pointless to hope for any other point and click adventure? I really thought they would include more mouse heavy games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If sticking within the devs/pubs seen thus far then it is mostly Interplay efforts and that is going to be rights nightmare for most of it; Hero Quest (granted that is Gremlin Graphics) is still pretty big, Neuromancer film rights (which I can only imagine includes game) from a quick search is, and Adventure Soft which maybe have one more game that is not rights nightmare (even then it is tied to Elvira at some level) or trying (and not a great one), Lord of the Rings and Star Trek are never going to happen with them being what they are today, Bard's Tale has that whole continuation episodic thing going on so eh and none of the earlier things have much on that front.

They have Another World in the list already so their other other game in Future Wars/Time Travellers might be doable (the other game, and one more will know, being Flashback and different pub with their own decades later sequel coming out before too terribly long).

As far as mouse heavy games then even in fantasy land where we get the Cannon Fodders, Populous, Lemmings, Syndicate, Theme Park, Dune II (though I suppose I had also better note Dune 1* if I am still considering point and click), LucasArts efforts from Monkey Island and whatever else, It came from the desert then have you played most of those in recent years? Dune II needs that UI mod for me, and most of the rest are obtuse to say the least, and most would get about 5 minutes into learning sword fighting in monkey island...

*no gameplay just soundtrack, apologies if people wanted to do something else that involved listening for the next hour.

RuySan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think this is a missed opportunity to bring also those late Amiga gems, that kinda missed the mainstream years. Stuff like fighting spirit, shadow fighter and ruff n tumble. It could bring some extra coverage for the machine. I also think that 25 games is not enough, specially when a couple of these aren't that significant.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
F17 Challenge is a racing game, and F16 combat pilot is (I assume) a flight simulator. There's not a great deal of overlap!
My bad. Got it confused with something else. Though might do for the Pole Position clone and might also dodge licensing hassle.

Reactions: Pleng

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted Jimmy White's Snooker, but can't complain as Arcade Pool was a pretty solid effort from Team17.

Get your bets in for the final game.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems I am doing awfully here at guessing. Didn't think Graftgold was in the mix but also not sure what Virgin owned of them in the end.
Realistic fantasy world at this point. If Graftgold are now in the mix that does possibly open up the door to Simulcra aka one of my favourite games ever, certainly on the Amiga. Not really the big closer game to generate all that buzz for most though.
That said of all their games they picked Paradroid 90? Not a bad game by any means but Uridium and several others a possibility has me curious why that (though different pubs in the later years so probably that).

Last game... I am not expecting Zool 2 any more as that is not the thing you end a drip feed like this on (saving that it is not a "surprise, we actually have 5 more/bonus games"). Alien Breed II is missing still, Chaos Engine 2 is also missing and arguably the biggest oversight. Still not discounting a last minute "we did it lads, we got Lemmings" or something most would normally associate with the Amiga. Of my previous list of possibilities then for a serious get all the internet peeps talking thing I am not sure what there is.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking Xenon 2 or Gods, but neither seem like the sort of title that would be used to keep the buzz going over the new year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended