That was scary last night...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by xxteargodxx, Aug 21, 2010.

Aug 21, 2010
  1. xxteargodxx
    OP

Member xxteargodxx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Something really scary happened last night for the first time in my life and I am glad I reacted quick to the situation and called an ambulance. My friend and my brothers were helping my parents carrying up groceries (We are all adults). My friend carried up some sodas while I took some other stuff and when he got upstairs he looked down at me and asked if I needed anymore help I told him no we got everything to go in and play a game or something.

Next thing I know I finish walking upstairs and get inside and my friend is passed out on the floor laying on his stomach, heaving and breathing heavily he was out cold. So I just grabbed the phone, dialed 911 and requested an ambulance and right before they came he just woke up like it was nothing and he didn't remember what happened.

Long story short, turns out he is a diabetic at the age of 26 and is overweight (Much like myself except I'm not diabetic I'm just overweight) and he hasn't been taking his medications because sadly he cannot afford them because he can't find a job and his medication is too expensive almost $100 a prescription.

So I'm not trying to play Mr Dad here but keep an eye on what you eat. It was a bad feeling I had last night knowing I could have possibly almost lost my friend and wouldn't want that happening to anyone else.

--Nick

2. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Nicely done, and good job keeping your cool!

3. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    strawhat-san is diabetic at the age of 16 (now 17). It must really suck.

Anyway, +1 to what Dave said, you did well.

4. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    My dad's diabetic, I know how scary it can be when things go wrong. Thankfully medication for stuff like that is free here, so he normally keeps it in check. But I digress. I would tip my hat to you in recognition of your level headed life saving ability, but unfortunately I don't actually own a hat. I'll go buy one and get back to you [​IMG]

5. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    that is really sad that your friend cannot afford the medication he needs, in the UK we get free treatment so that is not a problem, it's a shame in america you don't get the same free treatment, so many lives would be saved.

6. mcp2

Member mcp2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Maybe in the future you will have free meds. Well done on having such quick and calm reactions.

7. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Like said before, good job.
    Hopefully, your friend will get a job and be able to pay for medication.

8. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Great quick thinking, bro. I would've never been able to maintain composure.

It's a terrible shame when one can't take their meds because of cost. [​IMG] It's imperative that he get that sorted out. No on should have to resort to that. Ever.

9. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    You, my friend, deserve a thousand internetz.

10. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    If something like that happened to me, my sister would probably try to ask me whats wrong, being worried, while I spend an hour trying to explain to them, until my parents come home and take care of the situation o.o Great job taking care of the situation like that [​IMG] YOU SIR, ARE A HERO!

11. naruses

Member naruses GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have friend that is diabetic since hes 5 years old. He gets all emotional and paranoic over any trouble that he gets. He is also, kind of overweight. Its tough to hang out with him, everyone always have to keep an eye on him.

12. Frost>>&gt

Newcomer Frost>>&gt Member

United States

But is it true that doctors don't get paid much there so if you break your arm you stay in the waiting room for an hour? That's what I heard happens. But I've never really researched the matter.

13. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    First of all, how would the doctor's salaries affect waiting times? It's the idea that there will be more patients. Second, you don't stay in the waiting room for an hour for a broken arm in an American hospital? I know I did when I had insurance.

14. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    I do applaud for your quick thinking and deep compassion for your comrade. Remember that if you want to join the military tell them THAT so you can possibly get to an E-2 for that heroic deed.

EDIT: I remember that I annoyed my friend so much when he had a cold. He left my house and went back to his only to find out he was in the hospital afterwards.

15. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    phew, thank goddness i am a type 2 diabetic who has his condition currently under control, or i might end up like your friend [​IMG]

just glad to hear that your friend is still alive [​IMG]

16. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

Good thing you remained calm and acted quickly.