Test if mic is sending any input? (Linux/OSX)

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by Monado_III, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Monado_III
    OP

Monado_III GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    /dev/null
    I'm writing a program that will, when I hook up my electronic drum into my microphone jack, count how many times I've hit a drum and print it to the screen, replacing the previous number. I have hopefully most of the code done, but I need help figuring out a way to test if any input is being sent in from the mic or if it's all blank. A bash script would be preferable but any way would work as long as it returns either 1 or 0 and can be launched from inside the program (using system() etc.). Anyone know of a way of going about this? I can post what I currently have if it's of any interest to you.

edit: 400th post!

Last edited by Monado_III, Nov 24, 2015
  2. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    Quick google search brought me this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13606537/current-level-of-microphone-input
    You can try it. You'll end up with something like this:
    Code:
    arecord -d 1 /tmp/inprec.wav
    sox /tmp/inprec.wav -n stat
    You might have to install sox, and I don't know how to help you if the target system doesn't run alsa.
    To get the boolean return you want from a bash script, you can check of a null mean amplitude. I'm not sure if you want to limit how long a drumbeat can last, so this is certainly not the right approach. Might still help, though. Here's a scrot with what I tested:

[​IMG]

You can use the mean amplitude to tell if any input was given during the recording. Compare that to 0, if true yay, else... something's there!

Note that I don't think ALSA is what's used in OSX and though your default shell is bash, other people could be using fish, zsh, etc.
    And go on, post it, I'm interested. :3

Monado_III likes this.
  3. Monado_III
    OP

Monado_III GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    /dev/null
    thanks, I have no clue how I didn't find that page. And ALSA isn't used in OSX (ALSA=Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice