Tempted to get a Raspberry Pi 3

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
In testing this, I have now somehow broken the PSX emulator. It loads games into a black screen and needs a hard reboot every time. Maybe now is as good a time as any to mention that things can get odd with Retropie, as can often happen with emulators. I've had to do my fair share of troubleshooting and changing settings to make things work for me since I started using Retropie, and sometimes things would just break for initially unknown reasons.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In testing this, I have now somehow broken the PSX emulator. It loads games into a black screen and needs a hard reboot every time. Maybe now is as good a time as any to mention that things can get odd with Retropie, as can often happen with emulators. I've had to do my fair share of troubleshooting and changing settings to make things work for me since I started using Retropie, and sometimes things would just break for initially unknown reasons.

Well, what other choice do I have for emulation boxes if there's never going to be a PSX emulator for the Wii U that runs full speed? *Sigh* Now I really don't know. :unsure: Great, just great.

Why do I get the feeling that I'm being dissuaded from getting one?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Meteor7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, what other choice do I have for emulation boxes if there's never going to be a PSX emulator for the Wii U that runs full speed? *Sigh* Now I really don't know. :unsure: Great, just great.
Hah, I'm sorry about that. I tried to help and just ended up confusing matters. If it helps, it's probably something I did wrong in the settings while testing MML2.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hah, I'm sorry about that. I tried to help and just ended up confusing matters. If it helps, it's probably something I did wrong in the settings while testing MML2.

Even so, I now feel unmotivated and dissuaded from getting one, I mean, if it's going to be this much trouble with the quirks, etc, then I don't know where to go from here. Is this truly worth using all my gift card credit on? I'm glad people are helping, don't get me wrong, I just don't know what to do. Wii U scene isn't getting more emulators anytime soon.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Well, I actually have 45 dollars in gift credit on Amazon from Christmas, so I would be paying like maybe three or four dollars of tax, if that, so it's no real financial loss. The problem with the Wii U emulation scene is currently, full speed N64 and PSX emulation is either a long long way off, or downright impossible due to lack of interest, so I'm not banking my hope on seeing a PPC dynarec core for anything more complex than CPS3, to be brutally honest. Hence the RP3, it's a way I can take to get around the lack of more complex emulators on the Wii U. Unless someone can convince me to wait it out and have false hope for seeing a dynarec core *shrug*, the RP3 is the way to go.

WiiSX on the Wii doesn't have Gaussian interpolation, ADSR/VAG and has culling issues, the RP3 has PCSX-ReARMed which will run more games at a faster framerate, so, yeah, that's my two cents on why I want one :P
but the pi cant run n64 or psx either

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

benefits though retropie and run kodi :)

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Running recalbox latest beta 4.1 n64 change video plugin to rice (I think from glide) makes Waverace playable :)

PSX works great, been playing crash alien resurrection and SF ex.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Pi has PCSX ReARMed, that and the supported controllers is a big plus, RA Wii U has no alternate controller support, forcing Gamepad use. With the Pi I can use the Pro Controller, Wiimote, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, etc, that there is a big plus.

Also PSX emulation seems a helluva lot better than the Wii or Wii U

*shrug*

No idea what Kodi is, not trying to nitpick, I'm just trying to weigh in the pluses and minuses since, like I said, there is 0 interest in PPC dynarec, so Wii U will never get N64 or PSX, PSP, etc, So I mean, PSX seems to run fine. I don't expect perfection, no, but most games run full speed it seems.

Edit: Ninja'd xD

Meteor7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything seems to have its pluses and minuses, but I can definitely say for certain that the best PSX emulator I've ever played is Sony's official one on the Vita. That's the only way I've played a PSX game with no input lag or slowdown (that wasn't present in the original title). If there's a way to inject PSX ISOs into a Vita, and you actually own one, then that's the direction I'd point you in. Not that saying that helps you much, but I thought I'd mention it.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WHUUUUUUT?

It's XMBC mate, ultimate media player for everything, plus you can get plugins for sports, movies, tv etc....

*Shrug* Am I supposed to know what every piece of software or GUI known to mankind? :(

Everything seems to have its pluses and minuses, but I can definitely say for certain that the best PSX emulator I've ever played is Sony's official one on the Vita. That's the only way I've played a PSX game with no input lag or slowdown (that wasn't present in the original title). If there's a way to inject PSX ISOs into a Vita, and you actually own one, then that's the direction I'd point you in. Not that saying that helps you much, but I thought I'd mention it.

I know, I didn't like the PSX emulation on the PS3 as it got a lot of sound effects wrong on Square Enix RPGs (FFVII, the spells and attack sounds had a weird pitch); PCSX seems to have very accurate sound emulation, so I'd think I wouldn't have much trouble. I just don't want to regret getting one.

Returnofganon

I pretend like I know what I'm talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a zero and am very happy with it. I might buy a rp3 for the psx and better mame support. I do like how small the zero is for future projects.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Returnofganon

I pretend like I know what I'm talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm still on the fence.
I would get a pi 3. I enjoy the limit capabilities of my zero and they would only be expanded with a pi 3. If you already have an hdmi cable/usb controller and other things it would be great buy. I got my pi zero from adafruit.com if you need a reliable place to get yours.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would get a pi 3. I enjoy the limit capabilities of my zero and they would only be expanded with a pi 3. If you already have an hdmi cable/usb controller and other things it would be great buy. I got my pi zero from adafruit.com if you need a reliable place to get yours.

My only concern is the whole powering-off and powering-on later, wearing out the cord/USB cable input, etc. Isn't there an AC adapter that has as switch for on/off, like a PSU?

Exaltys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have a high performance PC that might be able to emulate Wii and other higher power emulation you might just be able to look into a Steam Link.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry man , it was my amazement that you havent heard of kodi/xmbc after living on these forums for years....
Well, I guess that I'm nothing uninformed fool, you should know that by now.:unsure: I never followed the RP scene and now I feel bad, How was I to know?

Look up : up board

It runs virtually everything (Windows 10) aswell as PCSX2, Dolphin and reicast.

Why would I want to run PS2 at 5 fps on ARM XD The entire idea is to spend as little as possible, as stated in the OP

If you have a high performance PC that might be able to emulate Wii and other higher power emulation you might just be able to look into a Steam Link.

Already have a gaming PC, well, it's outdated (2013) can't even run the latest games on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No you just want my asshole that's the difference