Temp Debates#4

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by tigris, Aug 25, 2010.

?

Media Censorship. Protective or Restrictive?

1. Protective, explain your point. (Read OP description too)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Restrictive, explain your point. (Read OP description too)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2010

Temp Debates#4 by tigris at 10:14 AM (4,868 Views / 0 Likes) 61 replies

1. tigris
    OP

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    "Now lasts 1 DAY each" (Or as long as it takes)

Debate IV Media Censorship. Protective or Restrictive?​
    How to debate
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Previous Debates

Future Debates

Description:
    Media Censorship. The censoring of innapropriate content and governmental secrets in the media. Is it protective to censor such things, or is it restrictive as to restrict the general public from hearing or reading certain texts and videos.

2. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    Depends on the situation.

If by censorship you mean censoring explicit videos (for example - a chopped up body) then it would be somewhat protective.

But if the media doesn't want us to see what's happening to our country and government, then it's restrictive.

But really, it depends on the situation.

3. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    There are very few situations in which media censorship is warranted. The entire concept that adults need "protection" granted from our governments or corporations is laughable.

4. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    As said before, depends on the situation. I don't exactly like the government keeping secrets from us but I don't think everyone wants to see a chopped up body.

5. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Restrictive. We don't need media censorship.
    I'm not sure of the American version but in Canada, we have freedom of expression in section 2 of the Charter of Rights and Freedom and should be able to act upon that. It's absurd to allow the media to censor what we say unless it's hate speech.

The topics still aren't open long enough. Open them for a week, at least. [​IMG]

6. Blood Fetish

United States
    In the US it is our first amendment to the Constitution. Theoretically we value freedom or speech, press, and religion more than anything else or anyone else as it is one of the most fundamental tenets of our government. Theoretically.

7. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    This is touchy. It's not that censorship is important that our citizens can't hear it, it's that if it is made publicly available, it can become a national security threat.

I've never actually seen important media censorship (lol Aqua Teen Hunger Force dick episode), except for how our government was keeping national security secrets about statistics and things. I don't see that that really matters, though - it happened: no matter what we know, it's not going to change that.

I would say that when it's used in the Western World, it's typically for protection, or for the success of various military missions. When it's used in, say, China, it's typically going to be restrictive, but as long as the citizens support it, that's fine.

8. Blood Fetish

United States
    And why would you say that?

9. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Because, as far as I know, most of the Western world does have a set of regulations on the government to protect the media against censorship. The only time that it is every censored, or not let known to the media, is when it is important not to show it for one reason or another, as I said previously, usually for the success of military missions.

I would say that China is usually going to be restrictive because....it is.

10. tigris
    OP

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    So, so far it's agreed that it is...restrictive.

11. Blood Fetish

United States
    You believe that, as a whole, the general population is too stupid and emotional to make rational decisions. It is therefore in our best interest to keep things hidden from us for our own good. That is truly frightening.

12. Blood Fetish

United States
    We are not children. We do not need a government to act as a parent on our behalf, deciding what is too "harmful" for us to know about. I am honestly shocked that you just said China has the right idea as far as censorship of information.

13. Blood Fetish

United States
    How, pray tell, would you know if I accepted the concept of free speech due solely to indoctrination or not?

That assumption aside, yes, I fully believe that censoring or otherwise withholding information from the public harms us as a whole. The more educated the public is the healthier society is, as we can all make more informed decisions.

People who believe that the public are too stupid to decide important issues for themselves and instead must guided by the hand of the government scare me a lot. Please, never run for office.

14. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Restrictive.

If you don't want to be exposed to it, don't access it.

15. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    restrictive, there is a lot that the government keeps from our public eyes including hidden unlimited energy, technological advancements, and other unknown stuff, the government know they will loose money if they reveal these unlimited energy to the world that's why they hide them from us because coal and gas makes more than enough money for them and it's a way to control us.

it's not that we are too stupid to decide for ourselves, it's the fact that we are being controlled in everything we do if we like it or not, we have no decide in the matter, we are treated like cattle.

16. Blood Fetish

United States
    I see. People who are 18 are clueless fools that have no understanding of the complex relationships present in modern day society. You, however, are wise and understand the ways of the world because you are 24.

17. Blood Fetish

United States
    You are incorrectly applying the ad hominem label. You stated people who are 18 are uninformed about the world due to their relatively young age. It follows logically that since you are relatively young your argument is rendered self-defeating. I hope that clears up the connection between those statements for you.

As for the main topic, you are falling into a fairly typical position of assuming you know what is best for everyone even if they do not realize it. I agree that there are quite a lot of voters who do not understand the issues or stances of the candidates. They vote down the line according to whatever party their parents/society is or for whichever candidate had the best commercials. How will you filter out these people? Administer an IQ test before allowing them to vote? Quiz them on current events? And who gets to decide if a person is "informed enough"? Everyone needs a voice in a healthy society or it fails to be a society.

18. Blood Fetish

United States
    This is not a "once in a while" occurrence. This is the standard operating procedure for practically every politician higher than small towns. I realize that may come off as unnecessarily cynical, but in the US at least it is virtually guaranteed that campaign promises will be broken.

19. N4RU70 FR34K

Banned N4RU70 FR34K Banned

United States
    No censorship sucks, the parents should be making sure their kids don't watch that.

20. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    I think it's a bit restrictive. It should just give a warning before the show starts so the viewer knows what they're watching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.