OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering what's really being updated when you perform official system updates.
I suppose not every update comes with a new system menu (resulting in a higher version), but sometimes only new IOS, right?

Because i'm currently already on 4.3E using a Wiikey2, but Donkey Kong Country Returns (PAL) asks for a system update.
Although i can't really imagine what needs to be updated when already on 4.3E ... or is this just more of the ongoing cat & mouse game (especially with 1st party titles?)

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
use modmii to update all your ios and cios
and you should also use a usb loader

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Kanahpoo said:
I was wondering what's really being updated when you perform official system updates.
I suppose not every update comes with a new system menu (resulting in a higher version), but sometimes only new IOS, right?

Because i'm currently already on 4.3E using a Wiikey2, but Donkey Kong Country Returns (PAL) asks for a system update.
Although i can't really imagine what needs to be updated when already on 4.3E ... or is this just more of the ongoing cat & mouse game (especially with 1st party titles?)

Simply put, each IOS and channel (and the system menu) has a version number. The Wii checks to see if any of the files on the update partition of a game (or online, for an internet update) have a newer version. Now, Nintendo also has versions of the IOSes used by USB loaders (223/224/249/250/etc) that do nothing (called stub IOSes) but have a very high version number (65,280) so that an update will replace your custom IOSes with the "updated" stubs which will prevent you from using USB loaders unless you can reinstall the custom IOSes. That used to be hard if you didn't have a cIOS or older IOS installed but not anymore thanks to HW_AHBPROT and IOS236 installer.

To avoid having to go through such a mess, install Priiloader and use the hacks to disable disc/online updates. Then use Dop-Mii (Wiibrew edition) to update IOSes as needed (never update your system menu IOS or any IOS above 200 with Dop-Mii Wiibrew edition). Finally, use NeoGamma for loading disc backups (cioscorp/darkcorp are buggy, avoid them) and a USB loader for hard drive backups.

Bow$er

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great noob-friendly answer nl255. Thanks.
nayps3.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls