System Transfer Question

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by OldGlass, Jun 30, 2016.

1. OldGlass
    OP

OldGlass GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    I have a pirated copy of MH4U, and a legit purchased version of MH4U on my other N3DS.
    I want to transfer all the content of my pirated copy to my legit copy and continue from there.
    Is that possible through a system transfer? Would it wipe away my A9LH? I've actually grind HR 5 and don't want to do all that again lol.

2. Kinqdra

Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Aug 7, 2009
    Croatia
    I don't think it would work with a system transfer but it might work with save data filer. Using it, backup your save file from the legit game, then make a copy of the pirated save, inject it into the legit game, delete the security check thingy and try loading your game. If it doesn't work, just inject the original save back.

3. OldGlass
    OP

OldGlass GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Oh, I forgot to add one small detail, the legit version is a digital download.
    Anyway to do it now?

4. Kinqdra

Aug 7, 2009
    Croatia
    Do both 3DSs have a CFW installed?

5. OldGlass
    OP

OldGlass GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Nope. Only one of them does

6. Kinqdra

Aug 7, 2009
    Croatia
    Well that excludes the save transfer possibility.. Unless you have the ability of installing a cfw the other 3ds as well. Still not really sure about the system transfer though.

7. MarcusD

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    a pixel between life and death
    If I remember @ihaveamac's word correctly, it should be transferred to the other 3DS. Since you have pirated the game on the host 3DS, I think the ticket on the target 3DS will be overwritten. If that happens, in theory you should be able to redownload it from eShop, and your save should be there.

Also, if you want to be extra safe, you could copy the Nintendo 3DS folder from the hacked system to the legit system, and when the transfer asks, choose PC copying, since you have already copied the files to the target 3DS before the transfer.

Also, if you want to be super extra safe, you can backup the SDCard and the NAND on the hacked system, then after the transfer you could restore it. This is not really recommended, but I assume you aren't gonna use the old system anyways, so I personally think it's safe.

8. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    Copying the save through system transfer (copying the SD contents to PC or using the SD on the target system) may work if the CIA is from the same region as the legit game.
    The system transfer actually process the Console ID and some other data on the target system to make it work with the Data that was saved on the SD cart of the source system.
    http://yifan.lu/2015/04/22/opening-up-cardboard-crafting-an-american-new-3ds-non-xl/

9. OldGlass
    OP

OldGlass GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Hmmm... in the Nintendo 3DS folder, are there any way to tell which game is which? They're all random numbers

10. MarcusD

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    a pixel between life and death
    I guess it hasn't been used in a gajillion systems, so just copy the files, and you're done :P
    Or, since all that system transfer is doing, is copying files from SD, and copying some NAND data (like tickets), you can just use the SDCard in the hacked system, and put it in the unhacked one, and use another SDCard just to be able to boot your CFW, then do the transfer.

Btw, make a backup of both Nintendo 3DS folder and a NAND backup (if using EmuNAND, EmuNAND backup, if using updated SysNAND, make a SysNAND backup), so you could restore the old system in case something fucks up during/after the transfer.

Last edited by MarcusD, Jun 30, 2016
    OldGlass likes this.