System Transfer and Gateway+EmuNand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ryokoseigo, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryokoseigo
    OP

ryokoseigo Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2013
    Canada
    Moving my question to its own thread, so if someone finds out, they might notice.​
    Not sure if anyone can test this, but perhaps someone knows enough how emunand works to say:​
    I need/would like to do a system transfer from my old 3ds to my new 3dsXL with 4.4 and was wondering if I could do so with emunand, or if that would possibly be a bad idea.​

System transfer requires latest firmware, hence emunand into the latest, then go to system transfer in options, then transfer to my emunand 3dsXL. If this worked safely without ruining something about gateway or your nand firmware would this be safe to do?​
    Since this is a system transfer I assume the transfer would only be available while running emunand, and not systemNand? If that is the case, then the transfer would be pointless outside of save transfer, since I'd still be giving up having the save/game if I ever chose to go to normal firmware without gateway?​

The reason I want to transfer is to get my digital copy of fire emblem awakening, and its corresponding save. I could always just use a rom, but I totally don't feel like replaying the game to unlock hard+.​
    The reason I ask is I'm selling my 3ds, so I have a limited timeframe to actually perform the transfer. Waiting on my order to arrive.​

2. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Doesn't work. Has been stated already by various users.

3. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    I wonder why.

4. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    I guess it's because, for security reasons, System Transfer performs a reboot (or at least it looks as it) before starting the process. Ihaven't tried myself with EmuNAND, but you can check that the reboot occurs even without using an updated 3DS.

Duo8 and tHciNc like this.
  5. razielleonhart

razielleonhart RazzyDee

May 21, 2008
    damn i was thinking about doing with with my zelda system to a 4.X board and flip flop parts

6. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    It's possible, but require hardware dump/restore capability.
    look here : http://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-transd-nand-injected-into-gw2-0b1-emunand.358545/

in short :
    - do a backup of 4.5 XL
    - update XL to 6.x
    - Do system transfer, which will update the Title's Key on old 3DS to work on the new XL console.
    - do a backup of 6.x XL with the transfered titles from your old console (which will be used as EmuNAND)
    - Restore 4.5 on XL using hardware flasher

You can boot Gateway on the 4.5 XL, and use the 6.x backup as emuNAND.
    (I excluded steps on purpose to make it look easier to understand. But it's not that easy to do, you need to hexedit your backup on your SD card's EmuNAND partition to replace it)

7. ryokoseigo
    OP

ryokoseigo Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah I'll definitely be skipping things that require flashing unless i actually screw up and have to flash due to some freak accident...
    There is no way to rip saves from a gateway game and give another person with gateway them yet I assume?

8. hashcheck1

hashcheck1 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2013

Awesome i thought this would be possible just wasn't sure if the GW NAND backup was modified in anyway. I may Just try so i don't need two 3DSXLS lol
    Which hex app did you use to open RAW SD Images?

9. hashcheck1

hashcheck1 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2013
    Also when the emunad is created is it coping from the NAND.bin created or physical NAND. If the NAND.BIN we could use our hardware flashers backup 6.3 .img?

10. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    We should probably continue the discussion in the other topic, which has all the answers. I'll try to minimize open threads, since 2.0b1 we are over-flooded!
    So, I'll close this thread ;)

Just fast answers before closing:
    Either HxD or Hex Workshop. Though, he used the later because HxD couldn't replace data.

Edit:
    ryokoseigo : I don't remember if saves can be shared.

hashcheck1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.