System Shock 2 Comes to GoG

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Feb 13, 2013.

Feb 13, 2013

System Shock 2 Comes to GoG by Gahars at 12:21 PM (723 Views / 1 Likes) 9 replies

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    System Shock 2 is considered by many to be one of the scariest games ever made, and its influence in the industry has been far reaching. The game even went on to provide a basis for the critically-praised Bioshock franchise.

Unfortunately, the game has been barred from getting a proper sequel - or even a rerelease - due to what can only be described as a rights snafu. Some thought we might never see the game again.

Well, not to fear, because I have some news that will put a shock to your system.

[​IMG] Rock Paper Shotgun

The first of the article is an extended interview with a representative from Good Old Games (or GoG if you're hip) and Stephen Kick, the man responsible for securing the rights. They talk about all the hoops they had to jump through to make this deal happen, so it's very much worth a read.

So, if you're looking for a blast of nostalgia or a chance to experience one of gaming's premiere horror experiences, this is for you. Not only will it include extras (like a map of the ship, a soundtrack, and an interview with Ken Levine), but since it's being sold on GoG, the copy you download should be completely DRM-free. So, you know, that's nice.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm hyped. I'm hyped fo' sho'-DAN.

Satangel likes this.
  2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Your link doesn't work.

3. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Whoops, my mistake. It's up now.

4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Damn, I love System Shock 2! That's one of the only games that back in the day scared me to the point of "Okay, screw this, it's 5am and I cannot deal with this anymore... T.T" which is awesome.

5. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Well, this is a shock to the system.

6. zanfire

Member zanfire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    as much as I appreciate the game...those oldschool graphics are hard to look at nowadays. Hoping that if they can get this on GoG that it means they can reboot/HD update the 2 games (hell a sequel would be cool too).

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I do not tend to face that problem when it comes to PC games but http://www.moddb.com/mods?filter=t&kw=&released=&style=def&theme=&game=66&type= might be of interest.

McHaggis likes this.
  8. zanfire

Member zanfire GBAtemp Regular

United States
  9. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I hadn't even heard about this game (maybe is well into Doom :unsure:) will be picking this up tomorrow.

10. WhoRuJudge

Newcomer WhoRuJudge No, Who Are You?

United States
    So... I have yet to ever play this. Always wanted to, is it as scary as they say? I enjoy a good scare.