Hardware System overheats after opening eShop and battery issues

patinho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello everyone,
Recently I have acquired a nintendo switch, 1st generation, and I have been experiencing some weird issues that I couldn't find any help.

Let me start by saying that the battery is probably faulty, because I can only boot to the OFW after letting it charge for a lot of time and keeping the USB cable plugged in while booting. I also measured the voltage of the battery on boot (without the cable plugged in), and it goes from 4.2 V to around 3.3 V, and then the system hangs. I think that the battery can't maintain a constant voltage and the boot process aborts.

However, when I can boot to the system, there is another weird issue. When I stay on the main menu, everything is ok, but as soon as I open the eShop or the Nintendo Switch Online app the fan ramps up, and in a few seconds the system shows the overheating screen and shuts down. I thought that this could be related to the WiFi, but I can browse the News app without any issue, and testing the internet connection shows everything ok.

I also booted into Hekate to see if any errors are obvious but everything seems fine. However, I cannot boot into Atmosphere or Android (I think because of the battery).
Here is what I have validated:

- M92T36 - I think it is working as expected, I noticed some I2C packets for its address and communication is established. The original charger also goes to 15 V successfully.

- BQ24193 - Also working as expected, the battery indeed charges

- PI3USB - I haven't tested the dock, but no shorts, continuity looks OK.

- MAX17050 - I don't know if this IC is faulty or the battery, but hekate shows everything about this IC correctly. I think it is working.

Furthermore, I haven't detected any shorts or obvious visual defects in the device. I ordered a new battery and will test it soon, however I don't think the overheating issue is related to a possible defective battery.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-