System format while having mset installed on n3ds?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by joex11, Aug 12, 2015.

1. joex11
    OP

joex11 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Brazil
    Hey all,

I'd like to format my n3ds to factory settings but I have a mset downgraded 9.0 n3ds. Is it alright to format to system settings with it?

2. PandaMayFire

PandaMayFire GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    United States
    It's fine, it should just remove the MSET exploit, so if you want to use it again you'll just need to re-install it

3. codychaosx

codychaosx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
    You sure? i swore i read somewhere this would brick the console. Im not trying to scare or anything i just swear i read that somewhere. I could be thinking of something else though to be fair.

4. Cavioe

Cavioe GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2015
    United States
    I don't think that it will revert the system settings back to original. From my understanding if you downgraded it will stay as a downgraded system settings. This is why it is important for 2DS consoles who downgrade to use the 6.x or a softbrick will happen.

5. kheldar

kheldar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 4, 2014
    I'm not really sure but I read somewhere that if you format your system with downgraded system settings it would brick ur console. Just wait for someone who is sure about it before doing so.

rad3ds likes this.
  6. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    You did read it somewhere here recently, but it was speculation and wrong. :P

Right, the Mset exploit will persist, but the ROP will be wiped.

If you want to actually go back to stock, you'd have to flash your Nand backup prior to the install.

7. joex11
    OP

joex11 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Brazil
    Yep, settings still are as 4.x (no wireless card transfer) but no brick. so, mset is still the same, rop was already wiped

8. MAXLEMPIRA

MAXLEMPIRA Legends are Made from True Stories...

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    at least with my 2DS got a semi-brick! can't pass first settings

9. Cavioe

Cavioe GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2015
    United States
    You have to boot into that recovery screen method which unforuntately updates it to the current firmware. But at least you get a working console to sell.

10. MAXLEMPIRA

MAXLEMPIRA Legends are Made from True Stories...

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    I already try that, but it give me an error, but I have some NAND backups already, I'm waiting for a cardreader that works with 2DS, finding one gives me a headache

11. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    I think using 4.x mset on a 2DS can result in a brick if attempting to format, which is why it's recommended using 6.x mset. In all other cases it should be safe to format.