# System Conversion (Basic IT) and Music Theory (Interval)

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by I2aven's_Sag, Sep 30, 2010.

1. I2aven's_Sag
    OP

I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Northern Virginia
    I was taking notes on my laptop in class, but the problem arises when it comes to writing out the expanded notations (which I like to see).

The four number system's we're using were: (1) Decimal (2) Binary (3) Octal and Hexadecimal.
    Number System Conversion

I'm attaching my class notes (scroll to the bottom, all of my class notes are in a single large text file) (made it .doc) for accessibility/compatibility reasons
    since if I want to share my notes people they're not necessarily the most technology-friendly people. The problem with taking them is that there's no real
    easy way to type the expanded notation (which I need to see, because I'm slow and methodical). The good thing is that

I'm having an open-note, open-book quiz on Tuesday, I'd appreciate if you guys could help me figure this out in due time so I can enjoy my Monday social-study-break.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a completely almost unrelated note, if anyone knows any good ways to memorize basic intervals

My current problem is that I'm a 10 year Right-Brained (Creativity/Sound) Suzuki Violinist, so I'm having a hard time envisioning half-steps as they appear on the piano.
    The idea that a Sharp note can lower a given pair of notes and the idea that a flat can do the same are still things that I'm trying to wrap my head around. So, does anyone
    have any suggestions for practice-sites? I visited a local neighborhood piano teacher, but I don't want to exactly spend all of my weekend learning intervals. The Music Quiz is
    at 10:00AM Monday (EST) and the IT Quiz is the following day, Tuesday, at 11:00AM (EST).

As far as my sight reading abilities go, I'm far more fluent in Treble (Violin Clef) than I am in Bass (Cell/Viola/Piano/Guitar).

2 Qualities as far as Intervals go (Size/Number/#) and Quality --> (Diminished, Augmented, Major, Minor, and Perfect) (They can only have a single Quality).

Piano Teacher told me to start memorizing the half-steps and practice with the Piano.
    Chart of Specific Intervals

I'm somewhat confused how I'm going to apply this when I memorize them.

Steps:
    (1) Half-Step Memorization
    (2) How to determine interval size/page
    (a) #/Quantity (b) Quality (Diminished/Augmented (and double forms)/Major/Minor/Perfect).

As far as using the chart.
    (1) calculate quantity only (regardless of accidentals).
    (2) visualize on keyboard
    (3) Count Exact number of half-steps while visualizing on piano.

Dim P Aug

Major

Dim -Minor Aug

Yeah... I'll try to put up some practical problems as examples (a photo) of the workbook.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice