Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
My point still stands though. kind of ironic a piracy device has a license and no public view of its code. It's not like

They've already fucked people with burned fuses they'd been preserving and didn't warn them about going online, which makes me feel like they don't test their products very well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Gateway said the same thing.

Or maybe the downgrade method came at a time where they didn't have to think about that? You think efuses, which makes a sane person think there shouldn't be a plausible way to bypass burned or unburned efuses so soon? Also, if you used the spoofing trick to UPDATE to 5.1.0, that was kind of your fault for it happening.

Last edited by Kioku,

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nuts the amount of people that think that Xecuter has any right whatsoever to encrypt your NAND on your switch with a password for any reason whatsoever, regardless of what you're doing. It's like I'm taking crazy pills.

Do they get ANY responsibility for this?

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
At least the batery fix not trigger SX Brick Code even if it does stuff with Voltage :P But yeah if people believed there is no Brick Code then.... xD

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's nuts the amount of people that think that Xecuter has any right whatsoever to encrypt your NAND on your switch with a password for any reason whatsoever, regardless of what you're doing. It's like I'm taking crazy pills.

I think the method they took is a bit much... but you play with fire, you're gonna get burned..

Mark McDonut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the method they took is a bit much... but you play with fire, you're gonna get burned..

I can't argue with that, you apparently think bricking an entire system is reasonable because MUH CLONES, there's no way I'm going to change your mind.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Still though, I wouldn't say it was a very smart move on their part. Brick code will only result in bad press, nevermind it's intentions and it's legality.

To each their own.

I can't argue with that, you apparently think bricking an entire system is reasonable because MUH CLONES, there's no way I'm going to change your mind.

Don't put words in my mouth. Makes you look dumb.

Mark McDonut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To each their own.

Don't put words in my mouth. Makes you look dumb.
you're blaming the user, which means you consider it reasonable.

IIRC, this is how people were treated when gateway cards started fucking up and bricking systems, no one believed gateway could have made such astronomical mistakes, then Devin's 3ds got bricked from a card they sent him.

You dudes are quick to trust such shady activity.

Last edited by Mark McDonut,
D

Deleted User

you're blaming the user, which means you consider it reasonable.

IIRC, this is how people were treated when gateway cards started fucking up and bricking systems, no one believed gateway could have made such astronomical mistakes, then Devin's 3ds got bricked from a card they sent him.

You dudes are quick to trust such shady activity.

It's not a brick if TX can easily restore your system. According to hexkyz they're setting a password. You can easily unset it. This is really more of annoyance than a brick. An annoyance for crackers of SX OS, not regular users.

13_Switch_Hacker_37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you give them ur license and code and they give you a pass to unlock it

It's not a brick if TX can easily restore your system. According to hexkyz they're setting a password. You can easily unset it. This is really more of annoyance than a brick. An annoyance for crackers of SX OS, not regular users.

Hexkyz said the password was generated from random garbage from the stack.

I don't see how Team Xecuter could give him a password to fix it if that were the case.

Anyways, looks like he reflashed his nand and is good to go.

Reactions: Deleted User

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
And if they refuse? Well congratulations on your new paperweight.

Maybe people who don't know how to resolve things like this shouldn't be tinkering with things that can lead to this situation, but the minute someone stumbles onto this when they're not trying to crack the OS, it'll be a different story. We'll see what the future brings with this, but the right move for TX would be to just patch out this malicious emmc password code...

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
If it hurts their business they won't refuse and they probably will remove the brick code
Why include it in the first place, then? Unless they intend to do something to punish people trying to crack their software other than this, it makes no sense that this is even possible.

Reactions: Mark McDonut
D

Deleted User

Why include it in the first place, then? Unless they intend to do something to punish people trying to crack their software other than this, it makes no sense that this is even possible.

Because so far only 1 person got hit and was tampering with the boot.dat file in specific ways.
They only dared to add it because they're really sure a regular user will never get hit.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I thought you meant how it was bad to crack the SX OS and get it for free.
no sir i didn't say that.

Because so far only 1 person got hit and was tampering with the boot.dat file in specific ways.
They only dared to add it because they're really sure a regular user will never get hit.
it has the anti cracker activated.lol

Mark McDonut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't think I'd want to send a unit to some overseas company that bricked it and hope they don't steal my information off of it.

When Gateway fucked up Devin's 3ds, they were sure they could fix bricks, but then they kept it "for research" and sent him a replacement 3ds, who is to say TX won't pull the same shit?

Community custom firmware that's open source or even reasonably looked at by respected members here is where my trust stops. This new bricking customers shit is ridiculous. Computer parts aren't perfect, and adding in anything that could potentially malfunction and brick a unit is unacceptable.

No respectable company should ever encrypt a user's data without their authorization.

Last edited by Mark McDonut,

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hexkyz-jpg.133180

This tweet is a contradiction. He claims brick code can trigger in normal usage(no proof) and then goes on to say that it's unlikely unless your messing with voltages and time sensitive stuff. So which one is it? This shows me he either has no clue how he got bricked or is really just smearing TX. Also I think he didn't detect the Crackersgetheboot.dat that was embedded.

Reactions: naddel81

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?