Hacking Question SX OS Compatible 2.5" External HDD?

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, hopefully an easy one - I can't find any definitive info confirming that SX OS / the Switch dock is compatible with 2.5" drives - does the port provide enough power? I've tried a 3TB 2.5" drive but I couldn't get it to work, but I read that SX OS isn't compatible with anything over 2TB so I'm guessing that's it? This is the drive I'm thinking of going for: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neeta-Exte...words=2tb+slim+hdd&qid=1578646348&sr=8-5&th=1

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey guys, hopefully an easy one - I can't find any definitive info confirming that SX OS / the Switch dock is compatible with 2.5" drives - does the port provide enough power? I've tried a 3TB 2.5" drive but I couldn't get it to work, but I read that SX OS isn't compatible with anything over 2TB so I'm guessing that's it? This is the drive I'm thinking of going for: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neeta-External-Drive-Portable-Windows/dp/B082WSYDYZ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=2tb+slim+hdd&qid=1578646348&sr=8-5&th=1
SX OS may only be compatible with drives in MBR format and not GPT (MBR is limited to 2TB max)
You can convert the drive to MBR, but you will only be able to use 2TB of the space on it. Use a partition manager such as Minitool Partition Wizard or EASEUS Partition Master to do it.

neav

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
It has something to do with the type of boot sector you format your hdd. In order for it to be usable with SX OS, you need to format it as Master Boot Record (MBR). The problem with this type of boot sector is that the max allocation you can have is 2TB.
You may be able to make it work by formating it as MBR with 2TB allocation, but that will be 1TB wasted space. Not sure if you can make 2 partition on it with 1 formatted to MBR to make it work tho.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SX OS may only be compatible with drives in MBR format and not GPT (MBR is limited to 2TB max)
You can convert the drive to MBR, but you will only be able to use 2TB of the space on it. Use a partition manager such as Minitool Partition Wizard or EASEUS Partition Master to do it.
No, there's no limit to the max size for HDDs for SX OS, at least not for the volumes that are available these days.
Also a bigger than 2 TB partition with MBR is doable. I have a big 5 TB FAT32 partition with MBR as an external drive for my vWii.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No, there's no limit to the max size for HDDs for SX OS, at least not for the volumes that are available these days.
Also a bigger than 2 TB partition with MBR is doable. I have a big 5 TB FAT32 partition with MBR as an external drive for my vWii.
It's possible only if your drive has a sector size of > 512 bytes. The problem is, the sector size can't be changed, it's physically hardcoded into the drive, so if your drive happens to have a 512 byte sector size, you're out of luck unless you can use GPT.
I think most drives still use 512 byte sector size for compatibility reasons. Maybe not larger ones, though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: GothicIII

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's possible only if your drive has a sector size of > 512 bytes. The problem is, the sector size can't be changed, it's physically hardcoded into the drive, so if your drive happens to have a 512 byte sector size, you're out of luck unless you can use GPT.
I think most drives still use 512 byte sector size for compatibility reasons.

This is completly right. Max size of a fat32 partition is 16TB when the media has a physical sector size of 4KB. For most media the limit is 2TB.
Also you have a file limit of 65535 files per directory (or 2^28 for the whole partition) so putting everything in one folder can be problematic.

To buy those hdds with sectores above 512b you need to look for advanced format hdds (af)

Last edited by GothicIII,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is completly right. Max size of a fat32 partition is 16TB when the media has a physical sector size of 4KB. For most media the limit is 2TB.
Also you have a file limit of 65535 files per directory (or 2^28 for the whole partition) so putting everything in one folder can be problematic.

To buy those hdds with sectores above 512b you need to look for advanced format hdds (af)
At least for Switch use, I doubt the 65535 limit is going to be a concern no matter how much stuff you put on it. In fact, I struggle to think of a single scenario where you would realistically put that many files into a single folder. regardless of platform. Unless you're just like, really bad at organizing your files and you put every file you ever download and every photo you ever take into the same folder and never delete anything :P

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for clarifying about the size restrictions, but I'm still not sure on whether usb-powered drives are generally compatible

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think most drives still use 512 byte sector size for compatibility reasons. Maybe not larger ones, though.
You're right, forgot about this.
However at least most WD drives are able to do as I wrote.

Si_442

Trophies
XP
Country
Does an external HDD that is connected to mains have issues when using sleep mode on the Switch? I know connecting directly via USB cable with no external power does, but was not sure what the situation with an external power supply was. I use sleep mode regularly and relaunching games every time would be a pain... thanks

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does an external HDD that is connected to mains have issues when using sleep mode on the Switch? I know connecting directly via USB cable with no external power does, but was not sure what the situation with an external power supply was. I use sleep mode regularly and relaunching games every time would be a pain... thanks

Unfortunately this does not work with every device and it depends heavily on the builtin controller of the usb-hdd, more precise the usb-controller itself. Some hdds are also able to put themself into sleep after a specific amount of time without usage.
If the device is intelligent enough to check if the usb-port is not used anymore (e.g. checking the 5V lane) it can send the hdd (which speaks S-ATA) to sleep and waking it up again. Depending on the method used to determine a non-used connection it works not always with every device.

For reference I have an 3.5" usb-enclosure with external power which goes to stand by when I turn my computer off or enter sleep mode. If I'm using the same enclosure with my TV the enclosure never goes to sleep.

Afaik there is no way to check that except to try it out.

Last edited by GothicIII,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: now I have 3 mig switch. going to return these 2 to aliexpress tho