Homebrew Question SX OS Breaks Emulation?

Breembin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still relatively new to using Hombrew on Switch (and Nintendo consoles in general), so this may be a stupid question. I've been using Hekate for about a week now, and decided to try SX OS (no license).

My emulators seem to soft lock the console, and I have to do a hard reboot. So far, the only ones I've tested are SNES9x and VBA-Next. SNES9x crashes on startup, while VBA lets me browse the menu before it crashes when selecting a game.

For now I've gone back to Hekate, but I was wondering if you people have had this issue, and if there was a solution. Thank you!

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
There is currently no solution. From what I understand, the emulators were compiled with old 3.x.x. firmware libraries because that was the version the homebrew launchers used . They will need to be recompiled with newer libs for SX OS since things changed with 5.x.x

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is currently no solution. From what I understand, the emulators were compiled with old 3.x.x. firmware libraries because that was the version the homebrew launchers used . They will need to be recompiled with newer libs for SX OS since things changed with 5.x.x

No, they only have a broken hbloader

(My up2date ports have the same problems)

Last edited by m4xw,

Breembin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But I'm on the latest version of Horizon, which is 5.1.0 (I think?), and with Hekate, all emulators still work.

Breembin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, they only have a broken hbloader

(My up2date ports have the same problems)

So does this mean that they still theoretically work with SX? It's just HBMenu that's breaking the emulators?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

On top of this, which I forgot to mention, is FTPD seems to be broken as well. When I try to connect to my Switch, an error states "license-request.dat not found" and aborts the connection. This is a SX file, and seems to be interfering with FTPD for some reason...

DollyWhipDoll

Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read that HB doesn't like exFat. If you have another SD card and/or patience, something you can try is reformatting your card to Fat32, using the cutter tool {that you can find in this section} to cut the games down into parts, and add HB and the backups on 1 card like that. This is just a guess.

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I read that HB doesn't like exFat. If you have another SD card and/or patience, something you can try is reformatting your card to Fat32, using the cutter tool {that you can find in this section} to cut the games down into parts, and add HB and the backups on 1 card like that. This is just a guess.

It's not that, because I'm also having problems running emus through SX OS, whereas they run fine through the usual Hekate method

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
It's a known problem that homebrew doesn't work as fine with SX OS than with other CFWs / payloads and there're many crashes. Probably this will be fixed in a future update. By they way, there's a thread where you can report errors occurring when you're using SX OS: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sx-os-errors-and-comments-thread.507977/

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Separately, yes. I have SX files on my SD, and I'm still able to boot to Hekate if I so desire.

Oh I see! I thought they had a different ecosystem which required the SD card to be tied to their OS.
We are experiencing something similar with LayeredFS where upon launching a game renders the use of emulators impossible (probably considered games as well or rather hbmenu also being layered ontop of gallery) without a crash.

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So does this mean that they still theoretically work with SX? It's just HBMenu that's breaking the emulators?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

On top of this, which I forgot to mention, is FTPD seems to be broken as well. When I try to connect to my Switch, an error states "license-request.dat not found" and aborts the connection. This is a SX file, and seems to be interfering with FTPD for some reason...

If at all it's their code causing trouble

saunderez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If at all it's their code causing trouble
It sounds like they're running a FTP server on the Switch themselves.......I don't see what use it would be because they wouldn't be able to connect to it externally because of NAT so it would be no use for license verification but I can't see any other way you'd be getting THAT particular message. Does it happen if you're not running FTPd?

Reactions: kamesenin888

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
There is a solution keep all your old atmosphere files on your sd card and also your bin file go into settings in sx os and boot the cfw separate

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is a solution keep all your old atmosphere files on your sd card and also your bin file go into settings in sx os and boot the cfw separate

Buy then why boot the SX os loader at all, why not just boot through hekate as usual?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Buy then why boot the SX os loader at all, why not just boot through hekate as usual?

It's just one small step to do. Being able to boot secondary bins from their payload is pretty amazing imo. Having a "multiboot" option doesn't seem so bad.

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's an e
It's just one small step to do. Being able to boot secondary bins from their payload is pretty amazing imo. Having a "multiboot" option doesn't seem so bad.

It's an extra step to boot sx os, then boot hekate, vs just booting hekate from the off

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's an e

It's an extra step to boot sx os, then boot hekate, vs just booting hekate from the off

It's up to the user to define what's more convenient for them. Some like the option. If you don't, that's you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1