Gaming Switch Pro games on Switch convertor

xbmcuser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it isnt out yet, and dont bother telling me to wait and see, I will.

Will It be easy to backward convert the Pro games to run on the older oridinary Switch using a home brew convertor/patcher.
After all we have a similar CPU running at higher clock rate, and some new features eg DLSS.
Patch out any specific Pro hardware features DLSS etc.
Patch down resolution to 720p
Clock UP CPU, GPU and Ram to Pro level on Switch.

It maybe us unpatched Switch owners, may still be playing next gen games

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Main problem is we don't know any Pro specs yet. However, the thing AAA devs grouse about the most with the current Switch isn't the clocks or even the gpu capabilities, its 1) storage and 2) memory. Storage probably is not being upgraded (beyond maybe a 64gb NAND?), which means additional/faster RAM would be the primary factor in allowing games that couldn't be ported to standard come to the pro. I'm skeptical it would be remotely feasible to patch commercial games to make do with less/slower RAM if they were designed around more.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
I know it isnt out yet, and dont bother telling me to wait and see, I will.

Will It be easy to backward convert the Pro games to run on the older oridinary Switch using a home brew convertor/patcher.
After all we have a similar CPU running at higher clock rate, and some new features eg DLSS.
Patch out any specific Pro hardware features DLSS etc.
Patch down resolution to 720p
Clock UP CPU, GPU and Ram to Pro level on Switch.

It maybe us unpatched Switch owners, may still be playing next gen games
The first line is your answer, actually. How can we know how easy may be to make something backwards compatible when we don't have the slightest idea what's the thing to make compatible in first place.
So yes, wait and see.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There won't be very many games that are Pro only (like there weren't many DSi-only or New 3DS only), mostly it will be the same games that run better/look nicer on the Pro than on the standard. But for the few that do exist, maybe what you say could be possible, but it might take a fair bit of work, so someone with the skills would have to have the motivation for the games in question.

xbmcuser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about it maybe not GC-> Wii -> WiiU were the same Architecture but nobody went from higher to lower.
Though nobody overclocked on those consoles

However, the other way GC games on Wii or GC and Wii Games on WiiU was done without issues on Nintendont etc.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys you all have to remember something important. The switch is their ONLY system so even if the pro is released all the games will basically be the same so just imagine Xbox One S and Xbox One X. or PS4 and PS4 pro... all the games are going to work across the board the pro will maybe just do 4K docked and 1080p Oled screen maybe? For a cool $400. There is no way Nintendo is going to make BOTW2 only for the pro they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

Also homebrew on the pro forget about it lol... we can barely get modchips for the makro units but ehh only the future can tell. I'm happy with my switch lite and my other switches I just hope the switch gets a 10 year life span.

Reactions: nWo

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If DLSS is indeed a thing, for me it will be more interesting to see if current games can make use of such technology, ideally without needing to patch anything but hey I'm even ok if a simple patch deployed by the devs would do the trick. If this is confirmed to be the case it would be a good reason to get the new model, assuming that DLSS would really make a big improvement that is.
I just don't want nintendo to forget all the huge library of nice games that we already have and only support new games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise