Homebrew Discussion Switch overclocking released (improved N64 & PSX emu)

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
more stress to the battery due to

* more power drawn
* more heat (from SoC and from the batt itself)
However that would be pointless if you get a USB C Power Bank with PowerDelivery capable of high output at 15v, it will maintain switch at 100% and power the console by it self.

And about heat there's already quite a few ppl here and everywhere who modded their switch some even go direct contact liquid metal cooling in the SOC.

When I hack mine I will also fully mod it.

Last edited by guily6669,

Aftershock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The switch's docked and undocked CPU speed is the same, its only the GPU that runs higher when docked. If you overclock the CPU (within reason) when undocked but leave the GPU at the undocked frequencies cooling should not be a problem. The total SOC power draw would be less than or equal to the SOC draw when docked, because of the down-clocked GPU. Of course there's an element of risk but its one I'd personally be willing to take. Each to their own.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My battery did swell. I left my switch running in max OC in Lakka for many, many hours. Sort of a litmus test for severe overclocking. That was CPU at 2GHz and GPU at 1GHz since Lakka didn't have control over the clocks at the time. I also have some light heat damage on my display. I'll reiterate though, this was with severe overclocking over a long period of time. Lakka also has no sleep mode, so it was genuinely running at full clocks for hours and hours at a time. HOS overclock may be better simply by nature of lower OC and HOS sleep function.

HOS= Horizon OS (the switch default OS)

Last edited by Beware,

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My battery did swell. I left my switch running in max OC in Lakka for many, many hours. Sort of a litmus test for severe overclocking. That was CPU at 2GHz and GPU at 1GHz since Lakka didn't have control over the clocks at the time. I also have some light heat damage on my display. I'll reiterate though, this was with severe overclocking over a long period of time. Lakka also has no sleep mode, so it was genuinely running at full clocks for hours and hours at a time. HOS overclock may be better simply by nature of lower OC and HOS sleep function.
what is HOS??

D

Deleted User

Horizon itself is way more fluent already.

The smaller OC barely affects battery drain, so probably not.
We are doing heavy testing currently, also I will write proper benchmarks and temp monitoring tools
The amount of effort you put into this project and your knowledge is acctually reassuring.:)
At second glance this seems to be well out thought!

Aftershock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can see from the comments that some people here are strongly opposed to overclocking their CPU, and that's absolutely fine. Let's remember though guys its personal choice, if other people are a little less risk adverse that's fine as well :-)

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No offense, but a CPU overclock should not be needed for emulators at all, we need that dynarec core to be completed before overclocking is necessitated. Yeah, no offense, but N64 and PSX emulators aren't worth cutting the CPU lifespan down.
The CPU has a base clock of 1.9Ghz.
So the switch CPU is heavily underclocked to begin with, it's lifespan wont be reduced.
Battery drain isn't much more on these clocks either, but I agree. This feels like cheating to me too :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse