Switch Oled Joycon Issues

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sent my brandnew oled switch off to be modded, ever since i have been having joycon issues nonstop.

First the right joycon rail wouldnt detect or charge the right joycon at all. Other joycons didnt work either.

Sent it back to him, Now it constantly goes back and forth between detecting and not detecting it constantly.

Is there any way to fix my switch?

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at some tear downs and see if it uses the same rails as the regular switch. If so, you should have no problems finding them for cheap.

At this point it might be best to just cut ties with the modder and replace the rail yourself. It's fairly straight forward.

It's possible something is up on the joycon side. But if you're still rocking the original white shells and didn't have anything in the joycon swapped, I would lean more towards the rails on the switch.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@hartleyshc The parts for the original switch definitely look really different.
The attached ribbon cable is far to long.

Cant find any oled rails for sale anywhere in europe.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured that might be the case with the OLED's redesigned system board.

Ifixit has a listing, but is currently out of stock. https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-C...-OLED-Right-Joy-Con-Sensor-Rail/IF378-052?o=2

One thing you should probably look at is the port where the rail plugs into the board. Just from the symptoms it sounds like they might have screwed up that clasp on the port.

If that's the case, a simple fix can be just putting a small piece of foam (poster tape can work well for this) just so you're putting pressure on the port and it's making a good connection. I'm curious if this was the modders original "fix" and it wasn't good enough which is why the connection comes and goes.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@hartleyshc yeah, that was his fix.
Yeah that sucks.

You can try taking whatever they used and make it a little thicker. Add some paper, something that's not electrically conductive. Put the back shell in place and before you screw it all back in place, put on the joycon. Give the whole console a really aggressive shake and see if you can hear the joycon disconnect. If not, great! Put the screws back in and enjoy!

If not keep playing with different materials/thicknesses and/or adjust the cable to get it just right. Kapton tape can help hold the cable in place. Test it really well that way you know you're not going to have the same problem later on.

Reactions: Nakamichi

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@hartleyshc Thanks! I think i found a rail. Looked for one on amazon and compared to your listing on ifixit.

I hope i can somehow get it working again, if not, this is gonna be quite an expensive paperweight.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@hartleyshc Thanks! I think i found a rail. Looked for one on amazon and compared to your listing on ifixit.

I hope i can somehow get it working again, if not, this is gonna be quite an expensive paperweight.
My biggest advice would be when you take it apart, look at one of the teardown guides and see which way the clasp on the port is supposed to go. Nintendo loves to use both kinds of clasps, even in the same system. So an lcd ribbon cable clasp might flip one way and the rail goes the other.

If the modder knocked the original clasp off, but was able to get it back on, it could go flying when you try to flip it up. Be prepared and in a location where you can find it if it does.

I know it sounds like a lot, but you got it. The idea of it is simple. Make sure those little pins on the port line up to the little contact points on the ribbon cable. Make sure it's nice and straight, and you're good.

Try checking to see how they fixed it first. You might just need to add a small piece of paper and have it all fixed. Of course it won't hurt if you have a replacement rail on hand.

Absolute worst case scenario if you can't fix it. Get a second pair of joycons and one of those external joycon charger dock kind of things. Then just swap out joycons as needed when the battery dies. Not an elegant solution, but better than a paperweight.

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@hartleyshc No worries. I had the oled open before.

just kinda feeling like shit after spending houndreds and houndreds to end up with an utterly broken piece of shit.

So im either gonna end up fixing it by swapping the rail, somehow, or im gonna dump it.

Im already so sick of looking at it.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@hartleyshc No worries. I had the oled open before.

just kinda feeling like shit after spending houndreds and houndreds to end up with an utterly broken piece of shit.

So im either gonna end up fixing it by swapping the rail, somehow, or im gonna dump it.

Im already so sick of looking at it.
Oh I definitely understand the feeling. I could read your frustration of the whole thing just from your original post.

You'll get it.

Reactions: Nakamichi

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had contacted the modder and voiced my displeasure.

To his credit, he immediately offered to desolder my chip, solder it into a new OLED switch and then send me that unit.

i really hope it turns out well now.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, what's pokerogue?