Hacking Question Switch MTP Not Working

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently tried to use MTP with my Switch since it would be a godsend, but I can't get it to work at all. For starters, I'm on 8.1.0 AMS 0.9.3 (Kosmos) and I'm using the homebrew from here. I'm using the same computer and USB cable that works for installing games over USB.

When I boot up the application, the switch makes no indication of anything happening, however my computer says "MTP USB Deivce Installing driver software..." then after a minute or so "Failed". I imagine the homebrew needs the driver to work before it shows anything, so I doubt anything's wrong with that, but how am I supposed to get the driver it wants?

I also haven't been able to get TegraRCMGUI to successfully flash a bin to my switch for a while either, and I've been using an old laptop for that. I opened an issue here a number of months ago, and was unable to get useful help for this. I imagine the issue is likely the same problem, but I've followed several tutorials for installing the drivers I've had working before on my computer to no avail. Any useful clues?

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like you may need to reinstall the apx drivers
https://github.com/eliboa/TegraRcmGUI/wiki
Tried that about 5 times. Does not help. Installing from inside TegraRCMGUI also does not help. Very weird stuff.

Edit: If it helps at all, I feel like something I did with some android phone a while back screwed up the drivers somehow. Of course, I figured re-installing the drivers from scratch would fix that, but nope.

Last edited by bluedart,

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That software is broken for the time being. There's nxmtp that works ok.
If by that you mean nxmtp found here, then I'm afraid it doesn't work either. In fact, it just immediately closes to the homebrew menu. I'm pretty sure I have to figure out how to exorcise this demonic driver. >.<

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Try to force the Zadig drivers, or something. Apologies for not being able to help further.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That software is broken for the time being. There's nxmtp that works ok.
Does nxmtp work ok with firmware 9.0? I read firmware update 9.0 screwed up some homebrew, and I'm worried for nxmtp since it's basically an abandoned closed source homebrew, but still works great on firmware 8. I haven't updated yet, but I know there will be a day when I'll have to. :(

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Does nxmtp work ok with firmware 9.0? I read firmware update 9.0 screwed up some homebrew, and I'm worried for nxmtp since it's basically an abandoned closed source homebrew, but still works great on firmware 8. I haven't updated yet, but I know there will be a day when I'll have to. :(
Works fine. I tried it yesterday when I copied some backups.

Reactions: pLaYeR^^

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This version works on 9.0.0 or is there an updated one?
The original one. nxmtp. I couldn't get the opensource version working yesterday. so I went oldie but goldie. And it worked fine.

EDIT: To clarify, I use Manjaro (Linux distro) and not Windows. If that now is an issue I don't know.

Reactions: pLaYeR^^

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you guys are getting something out of this thread. I'll keep that in mind when I have to update.

Anyway, I've been thinking that if there were a way to purge my driver completely then I'd be able to install fresh and it might work. Unfortunately, Device Manager hasn't been any help there (I've tried many things) and I was hoping there's a useful way to accomplish this. Just an idea.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I believe 9.0 messes with button input so older homebrew stopped detecting it properly, libnx has been fixed so anything compiled with the newer version should work fine.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I believe 9.0 messes with button input so older homebrew stopped detecting it properly, libnx has been fixed so anything compiled with the newer version should work fine.
But that's the thing... nxmtp can't be recompiled, since it's closed source, and abandoned, on top of that. So if it ever stops working on a firmware update, that's the end, unfortunately. But come to think of it, I'm not even sure if it uses any button input. Basically, you just launch it, and do your stuff on the PC.

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you guys are getting something out of this thread. I'll keep that in mind when I have to update.

Anyway, I've been thinking that if there were a way to purge my driver completely then I'd be able to install fresh and it might work. Unfortunately, Device Manager hasn't been any help there (I've tried many things) and I was hoping there's a useful way to accomplish this. Just an idea.
You can revert the driver back to what it was with Zadig. Are you sure you connected your Switch (USB), then from the drop down menu selected libnx comms and installed libusbk? Many guides don't mention to select libnx comms from the drop down menu. Just double checking!

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can revert the driver back to what it was with Zadig. Are you sure you connected your Switch (USB), then from the drop down menu selected libnx comms and installed libusbk? Many guides don't mention to select libnx comms from the drop down menu. Just double checking!
Thanks for the reply. There is no "libnx comms" so, I'm hoping you mean "libusbK (v3.0.7.0)" since that's what the guides have told me to use. Does not help. Here is a screenshot of what Zadig looks like, if it helps.
screen_02.jpg
For anyone wondering, here is a screenshot of the exact error that occurs when I run the homebrew with USB connected. This error takes about 1 minute to display.
screen_01.jpg
If I leave the homebrew on, after a while the Switch says something along the lines of
Code:
Press + to exit
filesystem error: status: I/O error [sdmc:/atmosphere/automatic_backups/********_PRODINFO.bin]

Also, I'm just going to directly ask now that people stop using this thread for other issues. Thank you.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. There is no "libnx comms" so, I'm hoping you mean "libusbK (v3.0.7.0)" since that's what the guides have told me to use. Does not help. Here is a screenshot of what Zadig looks like, if it helps.
For anyone wondering, here is a screenshot of the exact error that occurs when I run the homebrew with USB connected. This error takes about 1 minute to display.
If I leave the homebrew on, after a while the Switch says something along the lines of
Code:
Press + to exit
filesystem error: status: I/O error [sdmc:/atmosphere/automatic_backups/********_PRODINFO.bin]

Also, I'm just going to directly ask now that people stop using this thread for other issues. Thank you.
The first picture shows libusbk is not the current driver.

I was talking about the drop down menu. But yours says Nintendo switch. Odd. Usually says libnx comms in the drop down menu.

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first picture shows libusbk is not the current driver.

I was talking about the drop down menu. But yours says Nintendo switch. Odd. Usually says libnx comms in the drop down menu.
Perhaps it shows Switch because I installed the driver previously and it knows what to call it. Odd that the driver shown is something different, but I'd be willing to bet that got screwed up when I was messing with Android phones a while back. Either way, replacing it doesn't actually work, so I suppose that's my problem. How do I ACTUALLY replace it, "za-dig?"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.