Hacking Switch-Linux RetroArch

tbp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Had a good google around, but can't find any recommendations for RetroArch setups on Switch-Linux.
What are people doing to get the best emulator results when setting up/running RetroArch on the H/W accelerated Switch-Linux?

D

Deleted User

nobody knows or cares atm we have too much issues to handle befor even thinking on retroarch

Reactions: Saviouz
D

Deleted-351540

Wow dude. you don't have to be an asshole about it.
But it's the truth. He's not being mean. At the moment nobody cares because we have more challenging things to get worked out. Simple as that.

Feel free to mess around with it and get it working as best you can. Also feel free to post your findings.

D

Deleted User

I just want to report libretro did tweet out that a user does have retroarch running in linux and also i saw several other notable emulators tested in various twitter accounts

D

Deleted User

I just want to report libretro did tweet out that a user does have retroarch running in linux and also i saw several other notable emulators tested in various twitter accounts

thats true , but without working touch and joycon drivers we are doomed i know we have sort of drivers which works but thats not accurate

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Dont worry - Ill throw bricks all day.. ;)

Until you see "bestest Retroarch linux images - for wonderful use of emulation, most easy" packages floating around here, dont bother asking. Just imagine the effort that would have to go into teaching people linux basics to get the thing going... *shudder*

Emulation on Linux probably will not be the way forward anyhow, but if it is, my condolences to whoever has to set up the builds/guidelines... ("Mine does not copy", "I've forgotten my password", "Help it doesnt read my usb stick", "my USB keyboard, and MEEE BT controller don't work", "I changed the resolution and now...", "how do I get my savegames and what is scp?", "help, windows won't show me whats on the sd card", "what folder do I..:"...)

Also the libreto tweet regarding RA running a psx core under linux was heartwarming... "So this runs under linux right? Whats the performance? Our builds still run on libtransistor, on rGUI and cant do that - you know? I doubt it would run full speed without hw acceleration on linux... But does it?"

That was the reaction of the libreto folks... Always on the forefront of "Wait? Does it work?"

Last edited by notimp,
D

Deleted User

some really negative comments for no good reason.

I spent gosh at this point about 30 hours (prob more) fussing with retroarch via homebrew launcher. I'm very excited and it shows great promise. But it's very unstable at times. Even opening homebrew launcher can be an exercise in patience. I'm not really expecting linux to be a solution but it's fun to toy with and it can be used as a barometer and to better understand what the switch is capable of. At the very least the "launch" seems much more stable from my observations. I can definitely 100% see a dual boot option (or heck I heard talk of multiboot blah blah) of switch dash and homebrew launcher and linux being a thing. With linux access providing some nice abilities. Will it be the way to unlock the superior emulation? I doubt it. But here is something I would point you too. On ps4 I ran a wii game via linux. Sure with no sound. But have you seen the native nes emulator? It's terribly laggy. Could something similar happen in switch side of things? Well if that is any indication it appears the answer would be yes.

ln93

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Try the typical Tuto about installing the arch linux with HW and wifi.
once you can get internet connection:
Then run a terminal,type:

su

the password is "root",so type root(It won't show something like ****, don't mind) and Enter.
then type:

pacman -Sy retroarch

when everything is done, type:
retroarch
Then you may see something you want.

tbp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Try the typical Tuto about installing the arch linux with HW and wifi.
once you can get internet connection:
Then run a terminal,type:

su

the password is "root",so type root(It won't show something like ****, don't mind) and Enter.
then type:

pacman -Sy retroarch

when everything is done, type:
retroarch
Then you may see something you want.

Thanks In93, managed to get it going in the end.
See that a tutorial was also published today with more detail.
Planning to take a closer look at where the joycon bt comms are up to. Interesting to see how they may be useable with retroarch, hopefully without the terrible lag you see when connected to android!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @cearp, Sup