1. raylgo

OP raylgo GBAtemp Regular

Just checking if things changed since last I've seriously read about switch hacking. Last I read was every firmware with the exploitable bootrom would be eventually hackable. This was during fw 3.0 days when everyone was still hesitant to move on to the 4.0 fw in the hope of a coldboot exploit .

Decided to wait on a switch revision to hack my old one and get a new one... But the old exploitable one is already on 6.2 (to play Diablo and mhgu online) so I need to know if it will eventually be hackable or will Nintendo find a way to block it off forever.

2. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yes it will be hackable

3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Fusee Gelee is an exploit of the Switch's read-only bootrom courtesy of Nvidia that allows us to send payloads while the Switch is in RCM. This part is unpatchable because the bootrom is read-only meaning it cannot be patched via a firmware update.

What Nintendo can control is everything after that which is CFW. CFW is basically patching the firmware so if Nintendo changes the firmware, CFW will have to be patched to match the changes. And currently, as of 6.2, the patches utilize a part of the Switch that has not been studied at all, or very loosely.

So in short, while Nintendo cannot patch the exploit, they can patch the CFW. Case in point was when firmware 11.8 came out for the 3DS which broke Luma despite the untethered coldboot exploit, B9S, which gives us full access to the 3DS. Eventually it was fixed and just like Luma, all CFW will eventually be patched to work with 6.2. But it will take a lot longer than the Luma fix since this change relies on a part of the Switch that has very little to no documentation.

4. isoisoiso

isoisoiso GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Very unlikely

5. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Mali
    Just give it some time like @Draxzelex said and new patches will surface to allow the use of CFW again.

6. raylgo

OP raylgo GBAtemp Regular

Oh ok. The 3ds comparison made it all clear since I went through it all until the release of the switch. Thank you everyone.

Guess only time will tell. But at least now I know that the door will always be open when I decide to hack my switch.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - hacking, Switch, future